Huntington
50%

Total votes: 20

zz top
Waterboy

Huntington 35 Eastern Meigs 0

Post by zz top »

Thoughts?
Eastern hasn’t won a season opener in about 15 years...

Jason Vorhees
S

Re: WK 1: (Chillicothe)Huntington @ Eastern Meigs

Post by Jason Vorhees »

The last time that Eastern Meigs won a home opening game or week one game for that matter is 2004, when they beat South Gallia 41-6.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Huntington’s QB is an outstanding athlete and they have a coach who has reached the State Semifinals before. Not sure how it will translate into wins and losses, but they are an interesting team for the SVC this year and someone I’ll be watching closely when it comes to Week 1.

Good luck to both squads!

Meigsican
Waterboy

Post by Meigsican »

If Fully healthy Eastern wins. Fighting the injury bug already is a problem. I watched their scrimmage and they have some nice players.

zz top
Waterboy

Post by zz top »

Meigsican wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:42 pm If Fully healthy Eastern wins. Fighting the injury bug already is a problem. I watched their scrimmage and they have some nice players.
Injuries killed Eastern last year. Anything above .500 this year is a great season with Newland as the coach. They’ve got a pretty good shot regardless of the poor coaching.

shelton
Waterboy

Post by shelton »

zz top wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:37 pm
Meigsican wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:42 pm If Fully healthy Eastern wins. Fighting the injury bug already is a problem. I watched their scrimmage and they have some nice players.
Injuries killed Eastern last year. Anything above .500 this year is a great season with Newland as the coach. They’ve got a pretty good shot regardless of the poor coaching.
Agree 100%. Coaching change needed.

HammeredEagle
Waterboy

Re: WK1 2018 Huntington @ Eastern Meigs

Post by HammeredEagle »

Lots of people saying a coaching change is needed. I’ll say this, from what I remember the last few years there was 2 years with a Senior class with only 4 or 5 players and a couple of them were first year players. Last year at one point in time they were starting 6 freshmen due to injuries. Numbers are down across the league from what I hear. I’ve seen many posts saying to give the job to the baseball coach, but I think I remember seeing him on the staff last year. Don’t know much about Huntington, but if the Eagles are healthy they should have a good season.

zz top
Waterboy

Post by zz top »

HammeredEagle wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:18 pm Lots of people saying a coaching change is needed. I’ll say this, from what I remember the last few years there was 2 years with a Senior class with only 4 or 5 players and a couple of them were first year players. Last year at one point in time they were starting 6 freshmen due to injuries. Numbers are down across the league from what I hear. I’ve seen many posts saying to give the job to the baseball coach, but I think I remember seeing him on the staff last year. Don’t know much about Huntington, but if the Eagles are healthy they should have a good season.
He quit the football staff late this summer

shelton
Waterboy

Post by shelton »

Guessing:
Eastern 33
Huntington 20

Route 7
Waterboy

Post by Route 7 »

I have a lot of faith in my Eagles to get it done this year. Most of the seniors have started 3 or 4 years and they are sick of losing. What this team needs is leadership and the seniors this year are all very intelligent football players. I expect Eastern to use a lot of different players this year. If they can stay healthy I expect a 6-4 or 7-3 season this year. Good luck to the Eagles as they try to turn things around this year.

If they are able to move the ball on the offensive side(something they struggled to do last year), then the defense, which did a solid job last year, can actually get off the field some. Time of possession is something Coach Newland should stress this year.

I’ll take Eastern by 7 points in this one, 20-13

Big Bob
Waterboy

Post by Big Bob »

Huntington in this one. 4 year starter at QB, solid coaching staff should get the job done.

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Huntington 35 Eastern Meigs 0

Post by mattash »

Huntington 35 Eastern Meigs 0 can someone post box scores with stats

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
shelton
Waterboy

Post by shelton »

Coach Newland now 0-5 in opening games the last five years. 14-37 overall.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Huntington is one of those small schools, who seem to play hard no matter what the score is.
It's nice to see them post the win here.

baldeagle6
Waterboy

Post by baldeagle6 »

yep
Last edited by baldeagle6 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hardfowl
All State

Post by hardfowl »

Thursday's game will air on 92.1 FM and online at www.wyvk.com. 7:30 KO

Route 7
Waterboy

Post by Route 7 »

baldeagle6 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:49 pm Newland is not a bad coach... He's always battling an injury bug the first year that he became coach he went .500 and that was with a mediocre senior class. The only thing I see is a lack of discipline and he's never really had a big senior class usually 4-5 seniors yearly. Once this sophomore class gets older expect to see eastern 8-2 or even 9-1. But this senior class needs to show some heart and leadership. Also seeing a lack of big linemen.
Do you watch the games?
Eastern won’t finish above .500 anytime in the next few years... especially if Newland is coaching

zz top
Waterboy

Post by zz top »

Route 7 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:25 pm
baldeagle6 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:49 pm Newland is not a bad coach... He's always battling an injury bug the first year that he became coach he went .500 and that was with a mediocre senior class. The only thing I see is a lack of discipline and he's never really had a big senior class usually 4-5 seniors yearly. Once this sophomore class gets older expect to see eastern 8-2 or even 9-1. But this senior class needs to show some heart and leadership. Also seeing a lack of big linemen.
Do you watch the games?
Eastern won’t finish above .500 anytime in the next few years... especially if Newland is coaching
My guess is Newland will be long gone after this season. And by the sounds of it if he can even make it through this season that is...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

This isn't college football or pro

High schools don't 'fire' coaches, especially mid season. They may choose not to renew a coaches contract the following year, but that's it.

KC Pickem
Waterboy

Post by KC Pickem »

I have to agree with the masses. It is way past time for a coaching change.

Return to “Football”