Portsmouth 57 Valley 40

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: WK1 2018 Portsmouth @ Valley

Post by VetteMan »

Apparently conditioning was not an issue for PHS tonight. Valley will bounce back. Sounds as if they were not tackling very well most of the game. A great running back like Parker can make anyone look bad at times.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Late in the game kids from both sides had some cramping issues but not too bad.

I think that was Valleys biggest problem, tackling. Multiple kids in the backfield multiple times.

The positive is the kids already look better than they did last year, and will continue to improve.

With what I saw tonight, combined with whats on the sideline(coaches), very excited for the future of Valley football.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

I watched a bit of the game that was on FB. Both Valley and Ptown look MUCH better this year. I don’t doubt that Valley fixes the tackling issue but I do agree with what was said earlier. A good back can make a good defense look bad. When you have a kid go for 300+ there isn’t much you can do with that. Maybe a make a few more tackles and he goes for 275. That’s still an amazing athlete. I would venture to say that Ptown and Ironton will play for the conference title and Valley will finish 2nd in the SOC. Knowing what Crabtree can do, he will have these kids in a position to win quite a few games.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Swayze wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:12 pm Radio had Parker for 31-325 yards 4tds I think
:o :o :shock: :shock: :? :?

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:28 pm I watched a bit of the game that was on FB. Both Valley and Ptown look MUCH better this year. I don’t doubt that Valley fixes the tackling issue but I do agree with what was said earlier. A good back can make a good defense look bad. When you have a kid go for 300+ there isn’t much you can do with that. Maybe a make a few more tackles and he goes for 275. That’s still an amazing athlete. I would venture to say that Ptown and Ironton will play for the conference title and Valley will finish 2nd in the SOC. Knowing what Crabtree can do, he will have these kids in a position to win quite a few games.
The pieces are there I think, Shope, Spradlin, Streeter, Andronis. I think Valley will get better and better as the season progresses.

Theyre definitely better than last season.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

coop wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:30 pm
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:28 pm I watched a bit of the game that was on FB. Both Valley and Ptown look MUCH better this year. I don’t doubt that Valley fixes the tackling issue but I do agree with what was said earlier. A good back can make a good defense look bad. When you have a kid go for 300+ there isn’t much you can do with that. Maybe a make a few more tackles and he goes for 275. That’s still an amazing athlete. I would venture to say that Ptown and Ironton will play for the conference title and Valley will finish 2nd in the SOC. Knowing what Crabtree can do, he will have these kids in a position to win quite a few games.
The pieces are there I think, Shope, Spradlin, Streeter, Andronis. I think Valley will get better and better as the season progresses.

Theyre definitely better than last season.
For sure. You guys have a great coach. He will get them there. I saw some bright spots too. Even last year I saw it. They were just YOUNG last year. But most of them gained valuable experience. With Crabtree you will see the improvement week to week. I think you guys have some ballers and can take down West in a barn burner.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Wow, what a way to start 2018 season.

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

Loll,so many excuses ,its simple you can't wrap and tackle ,stronger and faster ,Parker has worked on his strength and conditioning all off season and it snowed tonight.

It was funny reading all the first post on this thread from valley fans not giving ptown a chance because valley had everho everyone back and Portsmouth dont have a qb and they going to shut Parker down. Smh

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

Prime Time wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:44 am Coach Crabtree will focus on Portsmouths running back and make him play the whole game being hit hard and ganged tackle all night. From the posts Ive read, I say Portsmouth will be gased in second half, Like poster above said QB is getting his feet wet tonite, and Portsmouth s defense always gives up over 30 points as another poster said. Valley is at home, sounds like very good running back, expierenced QB and line probably will outlast Portsmouth line in the end. Valley 38 Portsmouth 21

Hit hard and gang tackled.

321 yards ,four touchdown.

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

I wanna see what happens next week against West. I think that will show everyone whether this Portsmouth team is for real or not.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Otto wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:26 am I wanna see what happens next week against West. I think that will show everyone whether this Portsmouth team is for real or not.
West should be tough for sure this year.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Noitall wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:59 pm Loll,so many excuses ,its simple you can't wrap and tackle ,stronger and faster ,Parker has worked on his strength and conditioning all off season and it snowed tonight.

It was funny reading all the first post on this thread from valley fans not giving ptown a chance because valley had everho everyone back and Portsmouth dont have a qb and they going to shut Parker down. Smh
No one is making any excuses at all. Multiple times Parkers first contact was in the backfield, and the arm tackling wont get it done with a back if his caliber.

Hes strong, fast, and when you add in that type of defensive effort, well....you see 325 and 4 TDs lol.

I think if Valley was sound on tackling he still runs for 250 and multiple TDs because the kid is a stud.

No one is taking anything away from Parker, relax.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Noitall wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:59 pm Loll,so many excuses ,its simple you can't wrap and tackle ,stronger and faster ,Parker has worked on his strength and conditioning all off season and it snowed tonight.

I don't remember any Valley posters saying anything about Portsmouth not having a chance or shutting down Parker. Shake your head all you want.

Valley flat out didn't get it done up front defensively. Portsmouth controlled the LOS all night and Parker is a stud. Valley got stopped on the 2 in the first half and then gave up a TD with :01 left in the half. You can't do those things when the other team is running it down your throat. The Indians will be okay. The staff will find some kids that actually want to tackle on the defense and the offense showed it can score. I look for the defense to play better next week against the Grove.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Random thoughts.

Portsmouth's OL got a good push all night long. They should get a bunch of the credit. Portsmouth's fullbacks combined for well over 100 yards. The Trojans QB looked really good. Good decisions all night and strong runs. 7-8 passing! Would someone tell Portsmouth's receiving team that on kickoffs after the ball goes 10 yards it's ANYONE'S ball...Good Night! :) Fortunate to only lost one of those short kicks. Defense looks much better than last year overall but #10 got behind the DB's all night long. That can't happen.

Valley is improved. Lots of experience and seniors. Started 7 seniors on offense and it showed. Shope is a dangerous runner and threw the deep ball much better than last season. Why didn't Streeter carry the ball more? He is capable of breaking a big run and runs hard. Only ran 3 or 4 times in the first half and 9 times overall. Are breakaway jersey's legal in high school football? :) This is Valley's year to make good. Capable of beating several teams on their schedule. The defense will have to play better against the run....but won't see another back like Parker I'm guessing.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

toast wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:10 am Random thoughts.

Portsmouth's OL got a good push all night long. They should get a bunch of the credit. Portsmouth's fullbacks combined for well over 100 yards. The Trojans QB looked really good. Good decisions all night and strong runs. 7-8 passing! Would someone tell Portsmouth's receiving team that on kickoffs after the ball goes 10 yards it's ANYONE'S ball...Good Night! :) Fortunate to only lost one of those short kicks. Defense looks much better than last year overall but #10 got behind the DB's all night long. That can't happen.

Valley is improved. Lots of experience and seniors. Started 7 seniors on offense and it showed. Shope is a dangerous runner and threw the deep ball much better than last season. Why didn't Streeter carry the ball more? He is capable of breaking a big run and runs hard. Only ran 3 or 4 times in the first half and 9 times overall. Are breakaway jersey's legal in high school football? :) This is Valley's year to make good. Capable of beating several teams on their schedule. The defense will have to play better against the run....but won't see another back like Parker I'm guessing.
Agreed. Good Luck to the Trojans the rest of the way!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Trojans, Coach Kalb, and his staff for the win........the Trojans' offense looks to be more than just Talyn Parker. QB Danny Lattimore had an excellent game passing, RB Tyler McCoy, RB Ty Pendleton, WR Bryce Wallace, WR Eric Purdy, and TE Parker Johnson showed that Portsmouth has multiple offensive weapons. Probably not too many teams in the SE district with as much depth at RB as the Trojans. I haven't seen all the RB's in the SE district, but I can't imagine a better one than Talyn Parker. He could be in line to be the all time leading rusher at Portsmouth HS, with him being just a junior.

It's always nice to win that first game, but the Trojans MUST do better on defense. They allowed several big yardage plays by the Indians by ground and air. Zach Shope had a nice game for Valley. He passed and ran well. Credit to the Valley kids for staying in the game until late in the 4th quarter.

Penalties weren't too bad for the Trojans, and the kicker was OUTSTANDING!! Perfect on all of his tries (one was a bad snap that resulted in a broken play two point conversion). Portsmouth will need him to make a key kick at some point in the season, and I have a lot of confidence that he will deliver.

Looking forward to the West game........the Trojans will have to play better, especially on the defensive side of the ball. GO TROJANS!!!

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Trojan really surprised me. Looked really good in some areas. Offensive line looked good. Parker looked like a man. Kicker did awesome. Penalties improved a lot. Defense has to cover the pass. Waverly and valley exposed that. I don’t see many passing teams in the ovc. 40 points a game won’t work. We won’t score 50 a week. A lot of cramps. I’d hydrate those boys and stretch them. Make them pound water. Qb had open recievers a lot and ran. Have to look for a second before running. But for the most part good game. I see a way better team so far.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Offense looked good for Portsmouth. My only complaint is the QB being left handed and rolling right on almost every pass play and throwing to his left at times. That’s a difficult throw for anyone, let alone a high school kid. Parker played like a grown man. Defense was well I mean they gave up 40 points, and let some big plays happen, but I almost feel they have improved from last season. Few missed tackles but I feel tackling looks way better this season. Special teams is still a work in progress. Iron that out this week, get all the kids hydrated and come out and play hard for the home opener against West!

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Portsmouth 57 Valley 40

Post by mattash »

Portsmouth 57 Valley 40 Can someone please post box scores with stats?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott

Return to “Football”