Portsmouth 57 Valley 40

Izladoom
All State

Re: WK1 2018 Portsmouth @ Valley

Post by Izladoom »

VetteMan wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:21 pm In reading a much earlier comment why would Portsmouth,s conditioning be called in to play any more than Valley,s conditioning?
I think it’s the trust in a coach like Crabtree to have his players ready more than Portsmouth’s coach

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Izladoom wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:43 pm
VetteMan wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:21 pm In reading a much earlier comment why would Portsmouth,s conditioning be called in to play any more than Valley,s conditioning?
I think it’s the trust in a coach like Crabtree to have his players ready more than Portsmouth’s coach
It's based on past tendencies and one thing, no matter the players, that is a constant is whether or not a team is conditioned and ready to go by the start of the season. Portsmouth in recent years hasn't been well conditioned and have gotten gassed by quarters 3/4, Valley typically is well conditioned just hasn't had the players recently to pull out wins. That and Trojans chasing the Tigers around Friday night with their up tempo offense really exposed that they weren't ready for that type of game in terms of conditioning, few are however unless you run that style.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Thank you for clearing that up. I just couldn't quite understand why a lot of people were talking so much about Portsmouths conditioning.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

i like Valley in this one. Looking for Shope to have a really good year

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

It blows my mind that the Trojans don’t have more picks in the thread. Unless I’m missing something I just don’t see a valley win. I know it’s high school and anything can happen. I see this as somewhat of a easy win. Parker will have a good game. I do worry about conditioning. Actually I’m worrying a lot. If they have a fast paced offense like waverly we might be in trouble. I’m excited to see the game. No matter what happens I want both teams to play hard and stay healthy.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:47 pm It blows my mind that the Trojans don’t have more picks in the thread. Unless I’m missing something I just don’t see a valley win. I know it’s high school and anything can happen. I see this as somewhat of a easy win. Parker will have a good game. I do worry about conditioning. Actually I’m worrying a lot. If they have a fast paced offense like waverly we might be in trouble. I’m excited to see the game. No matter what happens I want both teams to play hard and stay healthy.

What changes has Portsmouth made for you to believe this will be an easy win? New QB, new coach and Valley returns basically everything from an improved team. I think it will be a very good game with Valley winning late.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Valley has a skilled WR, RB, and a vastly improved QB. If the line play and depth hold serve, and the Indians stay healthy, this can be a 6/7 win team.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

coop wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:26 pm Valley has a skilled WR, RB, and a vastly improved QB. If the line play and depth hold serve, and the Indians stay healthy, this can be a 6/7 win team.
Agree 100% Shope will get to be a QB this year not an athlete running for his life... save 1 game of course :mrgreen:

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

looking for an improved Valley team this year. Play hard and smart. Not predicting a score, but I'll go with the Indians is this one.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

Was that Luke Keller I seen coaching for valley this year?

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Game Day! I think either team could win. Both backs in Parker and Streeter should be the focal point in both offenses. Think the team who can slow down the others back and not turn over the ball wins this game. Oh yeah, Portsmouth will need to not be gassed at halftime too. Go Trojans!

Who Dey!
Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Parker and the Trojans will be too much for Valley imo. Although Portsmouth looked worn out against an up-tempo Waverly team, it was a scrimmage, and I'm sure the coaches did not put in a defensive game plan for a scrimmage, it was more about getting out and hitting someone besides the same guys you see everyday. I'm sure they have been working them for the Valley game the whole time.

Although I still have my doubt about the defense, ( hoping they have improved from years past) we will see as the season progresses, I believe they will be able to slow valley enough for the Trojans to out score the Indians tonight. With that said, I still expect to see some big plays out of Streeter, that will keep the Indians in the game.

I fully believe Coach Kalb will have his team ready to go, he has a great football mind, loves to compete, and I believe we will see in the next few years just how good of a hire he was.

Look for the Trojans to shorten the game with a heavy dose of Parker runs, as we break in a new QB with Lattimoore. Lattimoore is an athlete though, and will be a large part of the offense as the season progress I think, but tonight will be more of a chance to get his feet wet then a coming out party.

Portsmouth 33
Valley 21

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Coach Crabtree will focus on Portsmouths running back and make him play the whole game being hit hard and ganged tackle all night. From the posts Ive read, I say Portsmouth will be gased in second half, Like poster above said QB is getting his feet wet tonite, and Portsmouth s defense always gives up over 30 points as another poster said. Valley is at home, sounds like very good running back, expierenced QB and line probably will outlast Portsmouth line in the end. Valley 38 Portsmouth 21

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Prime Time wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:44 am Portsmouth s defense always gives up over 30 points as another poster said.

last years score
PHS 35
VHS 7

Not always lol

MountaineerMan2018
Waterboy

Post by MountaineerMan2018 »

I think Valley takes a step forward this year, but I believe the Trojans still take the game tonight by a close margin.
Trojans-28
Valley-14

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

What time is Kick off tonight?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Kickoff is at 7:00.

The game will be broadcast via the Valley Schools facebook page. They plan to be on air by 6:30 with the pregame.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Saw someone was working on the speaker system on the scoreboard as I drove by the other day. Did they replace the speakers?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Yes. All new sound system.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

awesome, ill be able to hear the announcer from my house now. ;) assuming its the same announcer as last few years? He does a great job of mentioning as many players as he can. And always does great with the down and distance. Keep up the good work.

Return to “Football”