Wheelersburg Band

Cato
Riding the Bench

Wheelersburg Band

Post by Cato »

Is it true that Wheelersburg did away with the band program?
Was told 24 kids had transferred that used to be in the band. Obviously several of those are boys/non athletes that would've counted towards the in district number. Is this an attempt to stay D5 because competitive balance is moving them up next year?

laser breath
Varsity

Re: Wheelersburg Band

Post by laser breath »

Cato wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:29 pm Is it true that Wheelersburg did away with the band program?
Was told 24 kids had transferred that used to be in the band. Obviously several of those are boys/non athletes that would've counted towards the in district number. Is this an attempt to stay D5 because competitive balance is moving them up next year?
Yes, Coach Woodward fired the band director! :lol:

The previous director left prior to the school year. They decided to hire a show band director instead of a competition director. Don't know the difference but some students did not like the change and did not come out.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

laser breath wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:37 pm
Cato wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:29 pm Is it true that Wheelersburg did away with the band program?

The previous director left prior to the school year. They decided to hire a show band director instead of a competition director. Don't know the difference but some students did not like the change and did not come out.
A "show band" exists for halftime entertainment only. A "competition band" will also travel to other schools that host competitions where the participating schools will compete either for a championship or graded ratings against a standard. The link below shows a competition band at a high level national competition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXThCXW ... 1jd6tUTPPL

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Some people in our community have been saying negative things about “show bands” since this change happened. Most of the band members who quit were riled up by a small group band members. Some even stated they didn’t want to change is the reason they quit. You never quit when things get challenging! It sets a bad precedent for yourself that you may follow the rest of your life. This is a time when they should have risen up and faced this challenge head on. I’ve spoken to some band members who remained and they said last year the Burg band had about 60 members and now there about 30. This “show band” is going to give it their all this year and need everyone’s support. If you saw the Burg band’s halftime show at the state championship game last year. It was awesome and and the whole stadium rocking. That is an example of a “show band”. This years band will perform a new show every two weeks. Which is a heck of a lot more challenging than the SAME alice in wonderland show the ENTIRE year. The Ohio State University Band is a “show band”. If being a “show band” is good enough for The Best darn Band In The Land, than its good enough for The Burg.

one Oak
JV Team

Post by one Oak »

I like show bands much better. Show bands don't just perform at half time. They perform in band shows, parades and some go to big time venues like Disney World. Good luck to those who stayed. I think they'll like it.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Lol and word on the streets is that ohsaa is going to do away with competitive balancing over a court ruling in Cincinnati

Burg grad 85
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

laser breath wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:37 pm

So none of them transferred then?? They just didn't come out.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

greygoose wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:11 pm So none of them transferred then?? They just didn't come out.
I was told that several have enrolled at West. Which hurts West and helps Wheelersburg as far as enrollment for sports.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:39 pm Some people in our community have been saying negative things about “show bands” since this change happened. Most of the band members who quit were riled up by a small group band members. Some even stated they didn’t want to change is the reason they quit. You never quit when things get challenging! It sets a bad precedent for yourself that you may follow the rest of your life. This is a time when they should have risen up and faced this challenge head on. I’ve spoken to some band members who remained and they said last year the Burg band had about 60 members and now there about 30. This “show band” is going to give it their all this year and need everyone’s support. If you saw the Burg band’s halftime show at the state championship game last year. It was awesome and and the whole stadium rocking. That is an example of a “show band”. This years band will perform a new show every two weeks. Which is a heck of a lot more challenging than the SAME alice in wonderland show the ENTIRE year. The Ohio State University Band is a “show band”. If being a “show band” is good enough for The Best darn Band In The Land, than its good enough for The Burg.
While I agree that show bands are a lot of fun and very entertaining.
Schools that compete in OMEA competitions also are fun to watch.
I hate to hear that the Numbers are down in the Wheelersburg band due to the change.
Kids work really hard to perfect a show so they can make it to state.
Good luck to the Wheelersburg band. I'm sure the Numbers will bounce back in a couple of years.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

What’s the next topic? How Sheridan’s XC success has affected the power of their football program?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:27 pm What’s the next topic? How Sheridan’s XC success has affected the power of their football program?
Is that what you'd like to talk about?? I mean since you posted it in this thread obviously it must be on your mind. Do you think that is what has happened to Sheridan??

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

greygoose wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:03 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:27 pm What’s the next topic? How Sheridan’s XC success has affected the power of their football program?
Is that what you'd like to talk about?? I mean since you posted it in this thread obviously it must be on your mind. Do you think that is what has happened to Sheridan??
I prefer trombones and 3.16 miles

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:07 pm
I could see that, maybe line up both bands and have them battle it out every half like in the movies. :D

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

greygoose wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:51 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:07 pm

I could see that, maybe line up both bands and have them battle it out every half like in the movies. :D
I mean...they have 20 minutes to entertain. Maybe first 10 min have a band sound off and then second half have races between the sections.

Return to “Football”