Who's ready for Monday Night Football Alexander (1-1) @ South Point (0-2)

The Flash
Varsity

Who's ready for Monday Night Football Alexander (1-1) @ South Point (0-2)

Post by The Flash »

South Point still searching. Alexander looking to rebound against another OVC team

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: WK 3: Alexander (1-1) @ South Point (0-2)

Post by Orange and Brown »

Alex by a couple of touchdowns.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

alex by 16

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

I think South Point might slide by with the home victory.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
OSU22
Varsity

Post by OSU22 »

If Alex plays with the heart and determination they had against Peake then I think Alex gets a running clock. They athletes are starting to buy in to what the coaches are doing. Great job Alex! Keep improving!

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

Good luck from an old Spartan

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I can't quite figure out what has happened with the South Point football program over these last few years. Years ago when I played again'st SP it was all most a given that you were going to have to give one heck of an effort if you wanted to have a chance to beat them. I just don't know,is it a numbers problem? I'm sure someone from SP knows mayby what the problem might be.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

First and foremost is after soccer was added to the SP list of sports this I feel was the demise of football. We have a lot of kids who are poor and have no way to practice. Couple that with having 2 options of sports then that reduces the # of boys to choose from. Third reason is we have a drug testing policy that no other school in Scioto or Lawrence has. We test every athlete and every band member in every season that they play. You and I both know that if all the schools did this their # of available athletes would be much less as well. We are stepping into a field that is already unbalanced. Some schools do "random" testing but what I find out is the random kid who gets tested is always a good kid who would pass. This is done to say sure we drug test our kids, when in fact it is a joke! Fourth reason, since our program is down, kids just don't want to make an effort to play if they are going to get a beat down every week. You can blame it on the coaches all you want but the kids just don't want to take a beating! When you have to play underclassmen boys against MEN it's downright dangerous!

Transfer is another reason! I listened to the Ashland game the other day and hear 4 kids names that either live in SP or have since "moved on paper" to play at another school for what ever reason! Three of the 4 are stud muffin starters! One kid this is his third school district he has attended! Parents get upset for what every reason and at a drop of a hat are going to a new school and new coach! That will really help them come time to find and keep a job and learn to work under a boss that you may not actually like! lol

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Alexander has a very successful soccer program, so it should be an even game Friday. lol

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:12 pm Alexander has a very successful soccer program, so it should be an even game Friday. lol
Lol! Thank you for posting it before I could.

Matt77
Varsity

Post by Matt77 »

Hopefully South point can get the win. Always gotta root for OVC schools in their non conference games.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

osumufan wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:17 pm First and foremost is after soccer was added to the SP list of sports this I feel was the demise of football. We have a lot of kids who are poor and have no way to practice. Couple that with having 2 options of sports then that reduces the # of boys to choose from. Third reason is we have a drug testing policy that no other school in Scioto or Lawrence has. We test every athlete and every band member in every season that they play. You and I both know that if all the schools did this their # of available athletes would be much less as well. We are stepping into a field that is already unbalanced. Some schools do "random" testing but what I find out is the random kid who gets tested is always a good kid who would pass. This is done to say sure we drug test our kids, when in fact it is a joke! Fourth reason, since our program is down, kids just don't want to make an effort to play if they are going to get a beat down every week. You can blame it on the coaches all you want but the kids just don't want to take a beating! When you have to play underclassmen boys against MEN it's downright dangerous!

Transfer is another reason! I listened to the Ashland game the other day and hear 4 kids names that either live in SP or have since "moved on paper" to play at another school for what ever reason! Three of the 4 are stud muffin starters! One kid this is his third school district he has attended! Parents get upset for what every reason and at a drop of a hat are going to a new school and new coach! That will really help them come time to find and keep a job and learn to work under a boss that you may not actually like! lol
Thanks for your response. I had no idea about a lot of things you were talking about. I just know that back a few years ago, you had to put forth a heck of an effort to beat South Point.

Shades
Waterboy

Post by Shades »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:12 pm Alexander has a very successful soccer program, so it should be an even game Friday. lol

Not involved with either school here, but out of curiosity, what is the difference in enrollments for the schools? Would adding soccer to SP be more impactful due to smaller enrollment numbers? If they are evenly matched, then yes, I agree it is a poor excuse.

donaldtrump
Freshman Team

Post by donaldtrump »

It's everything osmufan stated plus kids these days stay inside playing games on their game stations or phones. Hell their not gona sweat when they can play madden on a PC. Player numbers are down at almost all Schools the last few years except Burg where their basically a private School with the transfers and move ins. Take a weekend drive around your Town. You can probably count the number of kids out playing ball on your hands. You'll be lucky to even see any kids walking or doing anything...Like frigin ghost towns!!!! Their all inside on their azzes starring at their cell phones or running for a TD on Madden..... Even through the week after School..Drive around..Count the kids you see outside...You won't need a pitch count clicker to keep track....

donaldtrump
Freshman Team

Post by donaldtrump »

I really don't buy the soccer excuse. Not all but most of the kids who play soccer aren't built to play football. That's why their playing soccer. Before someone jumps on me I said most. Not all. A lot of these kids are fast but don't have the size to play running back..Very very few have the size to play on the line, and I'd bet a very high percentage of these kids never played football at youth league or middle school. What i'm trying to say is most of these kids don't have the football mentality in them even if they do have the speed or size. Even if soccer wasn't an option they wouldn't be playing football.....

LMH
Waterboy

Post by LMH »

Good Luck Spartans, get win number two!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Shades wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:29 pm

Not involved with either school here, but out of curiosity, what is the difference in enrollments for the schools? Would adding soccer to SP be more impactful due to smaller enrollment numbers? If they are evenly matched, then yes, I agree it is a poor excuse.
Same size, same region I think. Alexander a very small school.

PantherPride
Varsity

Post by PantherPride »

donaldtrump wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:02 pm I really don't buy the soccer excuse. Not all but most of the kids who play soccer aren't built to play football. That's why their playing soccer. Before someone jumps on me I said most. Not all. A lot of these kids are fast but don't have the size to play running back..Very very few have the size to play on the line, and I'd bet a very high percentage of these kids never played football at youth league or middle school. What i'm trying to say is most of these kids don't have the football mentality in them even if they do have the speed or size. Even if soccer wasn't an option they wouldn't be playing football.....
I agree with you that soccer isn’t the reason. If anything, soccer has helped the football program at Chesapeake. The last 5 or 6 years, the Panthers have had soccer players as kickers for the football team. It makes a big difference to have a reliable kicker for extra points and occasional field goals.
I think it has more to do with kids needing instant gratification. They don’t want to sacrifice the time it takes to play football. And if the team isn’t expected to be good, even more reason for them not to play. If the team is successful for a few years the numbers go up. If it has a couple bad years the numbers go down. I don’t think it has anything to do with soccer.

Spdawg75
Waterboy

Post by Spdawg75 »

South Point started soccer in 1993 so to say that’s the reason is ridiculous. I think the constant struggle to keep a coach and the kids motivated along with wavering support from the parents and community. SP is strong in almost every sport but football.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Spdawg75 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:03 pm South Point started soccer in 1993 so to say that’s the reason is ridiculous. I think the constant struggle to keep a coach and the kids motivated along with wavering support from the parents and community. SP is strong in almost every sport but football.
100% agree. Soccer lol. Sp is respectable in all sports except football. A lot of good football schools also have soccer. The biggest issue is that it is full of low income apartments and hotels so there are not as many kids playing sports as there should be. Combine this with video games and lazyness. Its not like the soccer team is pulling all of the top athletes at any school. Those 120 pound kids could be D1 college quarterbacks though lol!!

Return to “Football”