Some MVL "lasts" the next few weeks

teach1coach2
All State

Some MVL "lasts" the next few weeks

Post by teach1coach2 »

When the MVL expands to 12 teams with big/small divisions, some schools will no longer play in football. Besides inner division play with John Glenn, Maysville, Philo, River View, Sheridan and Tri-Valley playing each other in the big school division and Coshocton, Crooksville, Meadowbrook, Morgan, New Lexington and West Muskingum playing in the small school division, each school will play two mandatory cross division games. The MVL teams are honoring contracts with non-league opponents in 2020 (signed prior to the vote to expand in 2017), so a couple mandatory crossover games will not begin until 2021.

Mandatory crossover games are Crooksville and West Muskingum vs. Maysville and Philo, Coshocton and Meadowbrook vs. John Glenn and River View, and Morgan and New Lexington vs. Sheridan and Tri-Valley (two largest schools from each division).

There are some schools who are going to play crossover games instead of non-league games (3 non-league games possible) in 2020. BUT for those that are not, some lasts are going to occur the next few weeks.

Week 4, 2018. Last time Tri-Valley will play AT Crooksville. Crooksville goes to Tri-Valley for last time in 2019.

Week 5, 2018. Last time Sheridan will play AT West Muskingum. West Muskingum goes to Sheridan for last time in 2019.

Week 6, 2018. Last time West Muskingum will play at John Glenn and last time Maysville will play at Morgan. Trips to opposite site for last time in 2019.

Week 7, 2018. Last time John Glenn will play AT Morgan. Morgan goes to John Glenn for last time in 2019.

Week 9, 2018. Last time Sheridan will play at Crooksville and last time Tri-Valley will play at West Muskingum. Trips to opposite site for last time in 2019.

Week 10, 2018. Last time New Lexington will play AT Philo. Philo goes to New Lexington for last time in 2019.

Possibly some of the match ups will occur on non-league weeks in future years if both schools desire, but likely some of the match ups will not occur again in the lifetime of the old guys on this forum. Also possible a school moves up or down comparatively in school size rank and moves to the other division renewing some of the match ups down the road.

teach1coach2
All State

Re: Some MVL "lasts" the next few weeks

Post by teach1coach2 »

FYI:
School sizes currently from OHSAA.

School Boys Girls Total
Tri-Valley 376 339 715
Sheridan 299 273 572
Maysville 281 250 531
John Glenn 262 243 505
River View 260 228 488
Philo 242 202 444

New Lexington 231 187 418
Morgan 218 195 413
Meadowbrook 210 185 395
West Muskingum 172 168 340
Coshocton 170 160 330
Crooksville 134 125 259

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Ok for the most part for future for MVL moving forward i think, alot better than what the TVC does but two of these stood out to me. New Lex mandatory crossovers with Sheridan and Tri Valley are just what they need to do, huge points when they win as they are usually competitive in football. On the other hand the Morgan crossovers though, these will be ugly most years but i understand it's a school size thing.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Crooksville have a good MVL history? Not sure how they compete with numbers being that far off. Why not PVC?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
efarns
S

Post by efarns »

mattash wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:55 pm Crooksville have a good MVL history? Not sure how they compete with numbers being that far off. Why not PVC?
Crooksville is pretty far from most of The PVC.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:12 pm Ok for the most part for future for MVL moving forward i think, alot better than what the TVC does but two of these stood out to me. New Lex mandatory crossovers with Sheridan and Tri Valley are just what they need to do, huge points when they win as they are usually competitive in football. On the other hand the Morgan crossovers though, these will be ugly most years but i understand it's a school size thing.
Correct. The four schools in the middle (Morgan, New Lex, Philo, River View) are most likely to switch divisions so the largest 2 in each division will likely always be mandatory crossovers. Other crossovers by tradition and distance between schools.

Every 4 years the MVL will take the total students number and adjust the divisions 2 years later if needed.
2018 numbers set divisions for 2020-21, 21-22, 22-23, and 23-24.
2022 numbers set divisions for 2024 to 2028
and so on.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

mattash wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:55 pm Crooksville have a good MVL history? Not sure how they compete with numbers being that far off. Why not PVC?
Crooksville has been in the MVL since the beginning in 1938. It has a winning record in football against most of the MVL opponents and the only football state title earned on the field (1974?) It has only been the last couple decades that they have fallen back in football. Their "normal" team that has gone 4-6 in the last decade could well go 8-2 in the new format and make the playoffs.

Happy McGavin
Varsity

Post by Happy McGavin »

Crooksville should join the TVC

Its all in the hips
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Happy McGavin wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:19 pm Crooksville should join the TVC
Along with Warren?

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Wait for some reason I thought Crooksville was in Washington County. They are way off.

Michael Scott
Older bird
Freshman Team

Post by Older bird »

Crooksville will never leave MVL. It’s a pride thing for them. To join TVC would b some long trips. In reality they kinda just stuck where they are. Without travel. TVC Ohio would b a perfect league for them and move River Valley to Hocking.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

The MVL has a long and illustrious history. I just hope the too big too fast syndrome does not rear its ugly head.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
mvlnewlex
All Conference

Post by mvlnewlex »

As a NL fan, im licking my chops at some of these future schedules.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

The new schedule also allows for more nonleague games with the MVL teams. I know that Crooksville is the only MVL team NY has any history with (although NY has a long scrimmage history with New Lex). I would love to see NY play some of these schools in the regular season. NY vs. New Lex would be a good matchup in the regular season. NY has never played Morgan, even though Morgan County borders Athens County.

Even though it's been a few years since they last played, NY has played Crooksville more times than any other school that is not a member of the TVC.

NY has played Crooksville 13 times, with Crooksville leading the series 7-6.

NY is 1-0 vs. Coshocton.

NY is 1-0 vs. West Muskingum.

And these are the only games NY has ever played vs. MVL teams.
Last edited by NYBuckeye96 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

mattash wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:47 am Wait for some reason I thought Crooksville was in Washington County. They are way off.
Crooksville is in Perry County. Bordered by Maysville to the north, Morgan to the east, New Lexington to the west, and Miller to the south.

Students who live within the district are 20 minutes or less from the school. Proud community with a high percentage of students involved in activities and sports. It would be similar to Nelsonville. They will be competitive in the small school division. Just tough competing with bigger MVL teams who have twice to three times the number of students.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

teach1coach2 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:12 pm
mattash wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:47 am Wait for some reason I thought Crooksville was in Washington County. They are way off.
Crooksville is in Perry County. Bordered by Maysville to the north, Morgan to the east, New Lexington to the west, and Miller to the south.

Students who live within the district are 20 minutes or less from the school. Proud community with a high percentage of students involved in activities and sports. It would be similar to Nelsonville. They will be competitive in the small school division. Just tough competing with bigger MVL teams who have twice to three times the number of students.
They are one of the very few schools within 50 miles of Fort Frye with a similar enrollment. Crooksville is one of the teams I'd love to pick up. Maybe with the new MVL alignment, that can happen.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I am going to make sure to take in Meadowbrook games.
Might try and make them a regular stop on my travels.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

As mentioned, Crooksville has a LOT of pride playing in the MVL where they have, for a long time, “punched above their weight.” They are one of the most successful programs to play in the conference, for almost 80 years now.

In the past 15 years, for the most part Crooksville has always put out a pretty respectable product. Tough, strong and prideful. I think with the recent decline in football participation, that storm is starting to sweep Crooksville up into its bow. I think they only have 40-45 at most in their program, whereas larger opponents will dress 40-45 non freshmen — thus making the size differences more pronounced.

Right now, Crooksville’s season is probably toast. Their starting quarterback got hurt in a scrimmage, got hurt again in the second half of their week 1 game and was shut down for the rest of the season the next Tuesday. They’re starting a small sophomore, brave kid - but he’s had a very rough introduction to varsity, MVL football with the span of Philo, Maysville, and, tonight, Tri-Valley.

Return to “Football”