Waverly 31 Nelsonville-York 14

old benchwarmer
Freshman Team

Re: Nelsonville York (1-3) @ Waverly (4-0)

Post by old benchwarmer »

OldTiger wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:44 pm Game on delay because of lightning.
14-7 Waverly. 10:54 left in the 2nd Qtr
I was there, but didn't see any lightening nor heard any thunder. Very little rain fell. But the game turned out well for Tiger fans.

old benchwarmer
Freshman Team

Post by old benchwarmer »

Nelsonville moved the ball well at times, but there were a number of turnovers and stops with some penalties thrown in and the offense never scored. One score was on a kickoff return and another on an interception.
Last edited by old benchwarmer on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Could not have asked any more out of Waverly's defense as they kept Nelsonville out of the end zone the entire game. Boy did they step up their game.

Also liked the emotion and spirit shown by the Tigers tonight. Great senior leadership. Nelsonville is a solid team and this was a quality win. On to league play where everyone is pretty darn good this year. Go Tigers!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Very interesting game, Tigers hold NY offense scoreless and at one point had outgained them 200+ yards to 43 but were in a dogfight because of the kickoff return for a TD and the pick 6.......
Tiger defense with a nice goal line stand with around 9 minutes in the game up 24-14.
Shoemaker with an INT at the Tiger 21 with 2:56 to play was another big nail in the coffin.

Tigers escape with the win but have some things to think about and correct before traveling south next Friday.
Shoiuld have two players back next week..... which will help..

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

dilligaf wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:34 pm Man them Waverly announces are some cry babies wow
The 2nd down grounding call on the Tigers with 3:01 in the third was a classic.
QB rolls out to the right (way out to the right) and throws the ball away. Chain gang crew and clock operator change the down to 3rd. Getting ready to call a play and the officials decide to huddle up. After a lengthy discussion they throw a flag and call “grounding”. They march it off and then call it 4th down - that’s because the chains and clock had already been changed to 3rd from the actual grounding play which took place on 2nd. Needless to say the Waverly coaching staff and fans went off on that one.

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Waverly 31 Nelsonville-York 14

Post by mattash »

Waverly 31 Nelsonville-York 14

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Slothman
Freshman Team

Post by Slothman »

As expected

toast
All State

Post by toast »

smurray wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:31 pm
dilligaf wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:34 pm Man them Waverly announces are some cry babies wow
QB rolls out to the right (way out to the right) and throws the ball away. Chain gang crew and clock operator change the down to 3rd. Getting ready to call a play and the officials decide to huddle up. After a lengthy discussion they throw a flag and call “grounding”. They march it off and then call it 4th down - that’s because the chains and clock had already been changed to 3rd from the actual grounding play which took place on 2nd. Needless to say the Waverly coaching staff and fans went off on that one.
That was down right crazy! QB was way outside the tackle box and then go from 2nd down to 4th down...Holy Cow! When he threw the ball away I was thinking we had one more down to get the first before we had to punt. I guess not..... Lol :)

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

toast wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:05 am
smurray wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:31 pm
That was down right crazy! QB was way outside the tackle box and then go from 2nd down to 4th down...Holy Cow! When he threw the ball away I was thinking we had one more down to get the first before we had to punt. I guess not..... Lol :)
Ya, the “grounding” call was bad enough but then to take it from 2nd to 4th. At least Shoe nailed a great punt down to their 30.

ttomcat 80
JV Team

Post by ttomcat 80 »

Grounding is a penalty from the spot of the pass and loss of down.

:roll: cats :roll:
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Closer than I thought it would be.
Still its good to see Waverly post another win.

Bernie Kosar
Waterboy

Post by Bernie Kosar »

Much closer than I thought it would be, wasn't at the game but was told offense moved the ball better and the game was actually better than the score indicated. I thought a running clock was going to be had somewhere in 3rd quarter, glad the Buckeyes proved me wrong.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

ttomcat 80 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:47 am Grounding is a penalty from the spot of the pass and loss of down.
Ya, you can’t lose a down that was never ran (3rd)...

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

smurray wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:29 am
ttomcat 80 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:47 am Grounding is a penalty from the spot of the pass and loss of down.
Ya, you can’t lose a down that was never ran (3rd)...
You mark off the yardage and lose the down (2nd).

Sports-nut
JV Team

Post by Sports-nut »

Waverly limited Wilburn to only 24 rushing yards but his kickoff return and pick 6 showed he is a speedster. Snyder (#48) is gonna be a good one for the Buckeyes. He is a load to bring down and has good skills as a LB.

NY BUCK
All State

Post by NY BUCK »

Enjoyed the atmosphere last night, great place for football. I wish NY could have got into the end zone a couple times when we was on the other side of the 50, might have been a different game. The late bomb before the half killed us (heck of a catch by that boy). To me the score doesn’t reflect the effort from NY. Waverly has a solid team. After last night I think the bucks have a good shot at running the table but are going to have to play hard. Would like to see this series continue in the future at some point. Could see a nice little friendly rivalry bruing. On to next week.
Go Bucks!

Bigdog
Freshman Team

Post by Bigdog »

NY didn’t bring 100 fans, what is up with that?

Bigdog
Freshman Team

Post by Bigdog »

The lightening was 50 miles away anyone with a smartphone could see that no one was in any danger.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Bigdog wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:44 pm The lightening was 50 miles away anyone with a smartphone could see that no one was in any danger.
Then again a player was killed by a lightning strike while practicing soccer at Oakbrook Prep in Spartanburg. The storm that produced the lightning was not in the immediate area.

http://www.esdjournal.com/articles/Ligh ... Killed.htm

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Interested to see the Stats in this one.

Return to “Football”