Questions about officiating

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Questions about officiating

Post by greygoose »

allamericanironman wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:41 pm
wobycat wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:31 pm I see from time to time people blaming officiating for the outcome especially on the away team. I have two questions on that.

1. Do you feel like it truly dictates the winner of the game, as in, it costs them a win?

2. Do you feel that officials actually give intentional "home cooking?"
Buddy I have played in over 80 games had it happen in gallia academy called back winning touchdown. And one other time in college. It absolutely is possible one bad apple can spoil it for all. If the same person makes several bad calls that is usually the tall tell. Another thing galli fumbled clear as day gallia was not cheated 2 weeks ago. There are bad calls every game but you have to look for the one at the end when it matters.
So you make the rest of the game and what happened between the players obsolete?? So in those 80 games, when you lost the coach stood up there and said, "guys you played great and you just got hosed by a ref it was nothing you did"?? Kind of funny how you take a jab at Gallia and even bring up them fumbling at the goalline, lol. Pointless gut shot you were taking and no one even mentioned it, they had 99 yards on a 17 play drive where they could've made a play to win the game. This is a PRIME example we blame someone for the 1 play, but the other 17 plays someone wants to wash their hands and say not our fault it was the ref.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

greygoose wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:03 pm
wobycat wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:31 pm I see from time to time people blaming officiating for the outcome especially on the away team. I have two questions on that.

1. Do you feel like it truly dictates the winner of the game, as in, it costs them a win?

Buddy I have played in over 80 games had it happen in gallia academy called back winning touchdown. And one other time in college. It absolutely is possible one bad apple can spoil it for all. If the same person makes several bad calls that is usually the tall tell. Another thing galli fumbled clear as day gallia was not cheated 2 weeks ago. There are bad calls every game but you have to look for the one at the end when it matters.
So you make the rest of the game and what happened between the players obsolete?? So in those 80 games, when you lost the coach stood up there and said, "guys you played great and you just got hosed by a ref it was nothing you did"?? Kind of funny how you take a jab at Gallia and even bring up them fumbling at the goalline, lol. Pointless gut shot you were taking and no one even mentioned it, they had 99 yards on a 17 play drive where they could've made a play to win the game. This is a PRIME example we blame someone for the 1 play, but the other 17 plays someone wants to wash their hands and say not our fault it was the ref.
Why are you taking him seriously? Clearly trolling

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:11 pm
greygoose wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:03 pm
Why are you taking him seriously? Clearly trolling
He's not with the ironman?? Man that helps especially after seeing a bunch of his other post, :roll: :roll: . I seriously thought the dude was a parent with a lot of blinders on for the Ironman.

allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

It hurts don’t it. I feel your pain what goes around comes around. I’m gonna miss the rivalry it’s really a shame. These days with clear video evidence and smart phones it really has to keep them honest.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

allamericanironman wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:02 am It hurts don’t it. I feel your pain what goes around comes around. I’m gonna miss the rivalry it’s really a shame. These days with clear video evidence and smart phones it really has to keep them honest.
I can tell you that officials don't care about your "video evidence and smart phones".

Herdfan73
Waterboy

Post by Herdfan73 »

I think bad officiating can absolutely affect a game especially if it's between two even teams; however I think most of the time when people say there was bad officiating there's not but I beilive it does happen sometimes. I don't necessarily think it's when it does happen it's home cooking because I beilive the away team can also get the so called home cooking from bad officiating.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Herdfan73 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:44 pm

I think bad officiating can absolutely affect a game especially if it's between two even teams; however I think most of the time when people say there was bad officiating there's not but I beilive it does happen sometimes. I don't necessarily think it's when it does happen it's home cooking because I beilive the away team can also get the so called home cooking from bad officiating.
Yeah I think you seen more of that home cooking officiating way back when. When the only guys you got to officiate your home games lived in town and went out with the coaches after the game.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Officials are people. They make mistakes and have varying degrees of talent. Those mistakes and differences can sometimes affect a game. It's pretty unusual to say they actually decided an outcome though.

In close to 40 years of watching sports, there have only been a few times when I thought there was clear bias ( always against my team, of course).

edforshey
Varsity

Post by edforshey »

Only at Steubenville does the refs totally help a team win that doesn't even need their help

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I've already posted what I thought about some of the Officials in SEO. I know its not as easy, and very rarely do they ever get credit for calling the games. I just have to talk about this one Official ( No names ) from SEO who really I think is one of the best basketball ref's around. My only problems with him is he doesn't have : Rabbit Ears :, he has : Elephant Ears :. He could hear a car parking outside in the parking lot. I know that when I go to some of this schools games, you had better keep your Piehole shut if you want to stay for the whole game. When he and the other Ref's come out on the floor in pregame, he doesn't watch the players, hes scanning the crowd looking for someone that hes already thrown out before. By the time hes ready to give his jacket to the scorers table, hes already selected a canidate.

Momma
Waterboy

Post by Momma »

I think so of the outrageous calls are make ups. I never herd it directly but from a football ref, but an umpire in baseball. When I was getting certified I had a very good official tell me, if you see that you mad a bad call, try and make it up. Give the next questionable call to team you wronged.

Think about it, how many times after a bad call on team 1 , team 2 gets the next. I think this is statues quo

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Momma wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:51 am I think so of the outrageous calls are make ups. I never herd it directly but from a football ref, but an umpire in baseball. When I was getting certified I had a very good official tell me, if you see that you mad a bad call, try and make it up. Give the next questionable call to team you wronged.

Think about it, how many times after a bad call on team 1 , team 2 gets the next. I think this is statues quo
A "very good official" would never say things like that..

Return to “Football”