IRONTON'S BEST ALL TIME RB'S ?

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

IRONTON'S BEST ALL TIME RB'S ?

Post by FANOSPORTS »

I know Ironton has 2 titles and 6 runners up finishes but those were the best TEAMS proven over a season. Who in your opinion is the best running back you ever saw play for the Tigers ?

For me It's Dennis Bacon who was a sophomore on the 1979 team but was an animal during the 1981 season when Ironton went 10-0 and did not make the playoffs i don't believe much as the 1978 team didn't. That kid to me was most physically dominant and imposing RB I personally ever saw at Ironton. I saw the Boykins in the 70's , Lewis , Conwell and Jackson , etc. but in high school that was a man playing against boys IMO. He also played middle guard on defense and only made 2nd team All Ohio RB that year which I will never understand but voters are fickle sometimes. Thoughts ?
Last edited by FANOSPORTS on Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: IRONTON RB'S BEST ALL TIME ?

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

I'll have to go with Dennis Bacon as well.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Re: IRONTON'S BEST ALL TIME RB'S ?

Post by FANOSPORTS »

ttt

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Best one that I’ve had the privilege of watching is jermone jackson

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Slothman
Freshman Team

Post by Slothman »

Dennis Bacon plus many many More! Great program in the 70"s - 80"s especially.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Mike Smith could eat up the real estate too. He was another good one.

Gator B Long
Freshman Team

Post by Gator B Long »

Bobby Brice was the best. End of story😁

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Bacon for me too. I remember our nose guard knocked him out cold during the 81 season. He was laying on the field motionless for what seemed like an eternity, his mom and dad were even on the field. Smelling salts finally brought him back but it was shocking to see a beast like him laying there like that. Did he play at Syracuse fanosports? I didn't get see Jackson but Conwell and Smith were pretty special.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

cbolt wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:45 am Bacon for me too. I remember our nose guard knocked him out cold during the 81 season. He was laying on the field motionless for what seemed like an eternity, his mom and dad were even on the field. Smelling salts finally brought him back but it was shocking to see a beast like him laying there like that. Did he play at Syracuse fanosports? I didn't get see Jackson but Conwell and Smith were pretty special.
I don't know if he went to college or not ? Some of these Ironton fans on here might know.

Kaylns dad
Waterboy

Post by Kaylns dad »

81 backfield bacon Morris Smith. Not sure if snyder or wilcoxen QB. 93 Jackson, king cain Guthrie qb. 89 conwell brownstead pleasant qb. 99 harmon Henry Payton QB. 82 pemberton Smith tismo snyder qb.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

That 81 backfield had some serious talent! Morris has not even mentioned until now and he won the state championship in the long jump. He could also kick off to the endzone.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:59 am
cbolt wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:45 am Bacon for me too. I remember our nose guard knocked him out cold during the 81 season. He was laying on the field motionless for what seemed like an eternity, his mom and dad were even on the field. Smelling salts finally brought him back but it was shocking to see a beast like him laying there like that. Did he play at Syracuse fanosports? I didn't get see Jackson but Conwell and Smith were pretty special.
I don't know if he went to college or not ? Some of these Ironton fans on here might know.
Dennis Bacon played on the defensive line at Western Ky. I played against him while I was at Akron. It was great to see an old teammate. And yes, he was a hell of a fullback.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

Bacon and Morris on the same grade school team but lost city championship to St. Lawrence who had future Flyers as well as future Rock Hill standout Bill Poe and IHS great Rick Ferguson.

Back on topic, Mike Smith probably had the best college career but had Connell not been injured who knows

hoot
Varsity

Post by hoot »

Maybe not the best but my Fave was Alphonso Johnson. I was young and watching him run I thought he was a super hero ..

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

hoot wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:53 pm Maybe not the best but my Fave was Alphonso Johnson. I was young and watching him run I thought he was a super hero ..
What years did he play ? There were so many good one's I lose track of many of them i watched play in the old SEOAL days.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

Alfonso was a sophomore on the 73 Tigers AA finalist team. Backfield was him, Terry Mowery and Bruce Carter. Bruce had two incredible runs for TD's that game. Both were on kickoff/punt returns. Can't remember which. They lost to an all male private school, Cleveland Benedictine 38-13,

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

79Tiger wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:31 pm Alfonso was a sophomore on the 73 Tigers AA finalist team. Backfield was him, Terry Mowery and Bruce Carter. Bruce had two incredible runs for TD's that game. Both were on kickoff/punt returns. Can't remember which. They lost to an all male private school, Cleveland Benedictine 38-13,
Mowery was the QB correct? I remember Hal Spears was a QB in early 70's and I think Rick Boykin was a rb. I was a young Jr high kid at that time at another school in the SEOAL but always looked forward to the league games.

Bobbbbbb
Freshman Team

Post by Bobbbbbb »

I think Tres Wilks was a very talented and elusive running back.

Kaylns dad
Waterboy

Post by Kaylns dad »

The most underrated to me is Jason harmon. His playoff 99 run amazing. He was even better on defense. James Lewis was also good. What would have happened if jj king had not broke his leg in 94. Still never seen anyone block like delandual conwell. Just hammered people for brownstead. Main thing is all these backs played for coach lutz. When Joe Cain is your 3rd best back on 93 team shows the talent that has been there.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:04 pm
79Tiger wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:31 pm Alfonso was a sophomore on the 73 Tigers AA finalist team. Backfield was him, Terry Mowery and Bruce Carter. Bruce had two incredible runs for TD's that game. Both were on kickoff/punt returns. Can't remember which. They lost to an all male private school, Cleveland Benedictine 38-13,
Mowery was the QB correct? I remember Hal Spears was a QB in early 70's and I think Rick Boykin was a rb. I was a young Jr high kid at that time at another school in the SEOAL but always looked forward to the league games.
Rick Massey was the QB. Mowery was the fullback. The 71 team ran the I-formation. QB was Hal Spears, Rick Boykin TB and Bobby Smith FB. Bobby was Mike Smith's older brother of course. They finished 9-1 that season. Bob Bruney's last season at Ironton. Hal and Rick were teammates on the 72 AA Baseball Champions.

Return to “Football”