Athens 35
Logan 22
Close game but the same outcome.

AT THE RESERVATION
loganlocos
SEOP

Re: Week 6 Logan (1-4) vs Athens (4-1)

Post by loganlocos »

Should be an interesting game - as it usually is between these two.

Since the rivalry "renewed" in 2015:

Logan 61, Athens 49
Logan 31, Athens 30
Athens 21, Logan 3

Athens has been the better team two of those three seasons, and is again this season.

Athens' balance on offense will really test the Chiefs' defense. When Davis has time he delivers a great ball. Athens was really "on" against VC last week, probably their cleanest game of the year from what I have seen - just really efficient.

The receivers have a good understanding of the offense and can make plays after the catch.

Adams also serves this team well. Would be interesting to see him in an "old school" offense getting to pound it between the tackles like his dad, but in this offense the draw plays and read option get him into the open field a lot. HUGE holes to run through.

The Athens offensive line does a great job protecting Davis as well.

Defensively, Athens strenght is definitely up front where their rotation of 5-6 lineman on the three man front are big and athletic. The linebackers arent as experienced as the group who graduated last year, but they all know their roles and do a great job. Maxfield is one of the keys for me at what I call "strong safety." He lines up in a bit of a free role on one side and covers a lot of ground. Has the athleticism to cover slot receivers but is physical enough to be a great run stopper.

The secondary is fast and can punish errant throws.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

For Logan - the interesting thing to watch is whether last week was an aberration or a reboot.

Obviously the biggest change was on offense - with a veer/option replacing the more multiple/spread look we've seen during Burke's tenure.

The offense suits the personnel. Spatar, Yates, and Little are the most dynamic "skill" players on the offensive side of the ball and backs like Cummin, Horner, and the Ruffs can play back or tight end as well.

Spatar seemed to slide into the veer QB role seemlessly. I thought he played extremely well last week. And even though we may see fewer passes, I thought Landon Little (and Colten Castle) did excellent on the outside as blockers (with Little making some timely catches as well).

Up front, the offensive line controlled a lot of the game against Chillicothe, although #55 (Erslan) really caused some problems from his linebacker spot.

It was one of Logan's best defensive games during Burke's whole tenure IMO. Yes - Chillicothe's offense hasn't set the world on fire all season. But they still have playmakers on offense. Harris and Coats are outstanding players and the offensive line is a veteran unit who won the FAC and made the playoffs last year.

And that was without Weaver playing LB. The Ruffs really stepped up in increased roles. Jakob Black and Cummin played strong games. Mace, Little (who has moved to safety) and Magdich (moved to corner) had strong games as well.

If Logan can get some consistency from Horner on the D-line it will help the rest of the team. He can be so disruptive.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

*ALERT - ALERT- ALERT* - UPSET CITY IN THIS ONE BABY, AS DICK VITALE WOULD SAY !!!!!

LOGAN 28 - ATHENS 21

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Athens (4-1) @ Logan (1-4)

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

If the Chiefs play like they did against Chilli, and smart decisions are made from the sidelines and stick with what is working, the Chiefs could very well pull out a victory. GO CHIEFS!!

Eagle82
All Conference

Post by Eagle82 »

Barber1973 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:40 pm Hoping athens does not even smell the playoffs with their schedule let alone the league their in
Something wrong with the TVC?

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

I believe Athens hasnt won in Logan since the 90's ? That mental stress could begin to creep in if the game is close late in the second half this week. This was once a storied and heated rivalry in all sports back in the day but with no league title at stake, and nothing more than bragging rights; like we discussed on Football Friday Night two weeks ago, this game needs a traveling trophy if it stays on the schedule imo.

Live Like A Champion!
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Logangrad -

Athens last win AT Logan was in 1990.

The Bulldogs broke a 14 game losing streak (dating back to 1995) with last seasons 21-3 won over Logan.

Bulldogs are really good. Will be a huge challenge on Friday night.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Logangrad wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:54 pm I believe Athens hasnt won in Logan since the 90's ? That mental stress could begin to creep in if the game is close late in the second half this week. This was once a storied and heated rivalry in all sports back in the day but with no league title at stake, and nothing more than bragging rights; like we discussed on Football Friday Night two weeks ago, this game needs a traveling trophy if it stays on the schedule imo.
Good idea about a traveling trophy, Logangrad.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

We need a trophy. The Hocking River Rivalry

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Does Logan throw the ball very much or are they usually just a ground and pound offense? I keep thinking about how much success the Fairland QB had in throwing the ball against Athens. I know everyone says he can really throw the ball pretty well. Its just still hard for me to believe that Fairland was able to beat the Bulldogs, when everything that I've heard or read says how poor of an Offensive and Defensive line that they have. After last week and giving a pretty good Chillicothe team a good game, I hope Logan comes out with a renewed confidence, and really plays a good game. Hope both teams have an injury free game.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Athens-Logan is like Burg-West enough history and hatred on both sides to stir up a good game, but respect as well when it is over.

I gotta pull for the underdog, just in my DNA. College visit Friday to OU but I doubt the Mrs. and the daughter be interested in a road trip.

BigBoneJerome
Freshman Team

Post by BigBoneJerome »

Athens still air it out?

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Logan program could really use a win...and more parking😲

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Athens might have a little trouble with a passing team.....Logan isn't a passing team

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

noreply66 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:01 pm Athens might have a little trouble with a passing team.....Logan isn't a passing team
But with our coach, he might try to pass! :roll:

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

LHS 72 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:22 pm
noreply66 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:01 pm Athens might have a little trouble with a passing team.....Logan isn't a passing team
:lol: :lol: :lol: yeah but only after we've drive the ball down the field with running plays.......... :shock:

AT THE RESERVATION
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

1987chieftains wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:26 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: yeah but only after we've drive the ball down the field with running plays.......... :shock:
The Chiefs was set up nicely and in scoring range a few times in the chilli game from driving the ball down field, but sideline management changed some plays each time while down there and blew it. Stick with what's working and what got ya there for crying out loud.

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

TRENCHFOOT wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:35 pm
1987chieftains wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:26 pm

The Chiefs was set up nicely and in scoring range a few times in the chilli game from driving the ball down field, but sideline management changed some plays each time while down there and blew it. Stick with what's working and what got ya there for crying out loud.
Proper management of the game is why we have a head coach! :oops:

Return to “Football”