Waverly 35 Valley 28

coop
SEOPS

Re: Waverly (5-0) @ Valley (2-3)

Post by coop »

Sports-nut wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:39 pm I think the tigers had their minds on next weeks big match up with Wheelersburg.
Also very possible...but Valleys 2-4 record isnt an indicator of the talent and group they have.

Good things are coming once again in Lucasville...very soon.

Footballguy1
Waterboy

Post by Footballguy1 »

I believe having Wolf out the first quarter hurt. Waverly has a slow start. This game should not have been that close. Turnovers hurt

Sports-nut
JV Team

Post by Sports-nut »

Not taking anything away from the Indians but the Tigers didn’t play like they have played the first 5 weeks.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

They are probably the best 2-4 team you will ever see in the area

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

That kinda is "taking something away"...I coulda went that route and said without the pick on the 1st drive and the pick 6 and roughing....and you see where im going.

Good luck to Waverly, nice ballclub.

old benchwarmer
Freshman Team

Post by old benchwarmer »

Sports-nut wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:39 pm I think the tigers had their minds on next weeks big match up with Wheelersburg.
Could be that, I am not sure. They have been susceptible to a good ground game at times. They will need to work on that a good bit for the game coming up. Congratulations to both teams tonight in a hard fought game.

Urban
Riding the Bench

Post by Urban »

coop wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:48 pm
Also very possible...but Valleys 2-4 record isnt an indicator of the talent and group they have.

All but one of the skill players are seniors

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

Injury bug bites the Tigers again with Sweptso n and Brown getting hurt.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Urban wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:10 pm
coop wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:48 pm

All but one of the skill players are seniors
I'm aware of that. There are good skill kids behind them, and good skill kids coming up as well.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

I don’t think it was looking ahead at all. I think Waverly was very fortunate to get out of there with a win...period! We haven’t stopped the run all year and I thought Valley dominated us up front. If Valley doesn’t throw a pass all night, I don’t think we win. Darren has his kids ready to play every week and tonight was certainly no exception. We lost both kids who just came back from injuries tonight...not good with the Pirates coming to town. I’m proud that we pulled it out after we trailing all game on the road, but we’ll have to play a TON better to have a chance next week. Good luck Indians the rest of the way...you have nothing to hang your heads about.

Bigdog
Freshman Team

Post by Bigdog »

Oldschoolqb it reminded me of many Portsmouth games in the past.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

I agree Big Dog! Sometimes you just have to survive and win...proud of our fight!

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Excellent post oldschoolqb13. Most of us knew Valley would be a handful. They are way bigger than us up front and their skill kids are athletic and experienced. The Indians are a very solid team and should challenge both Minford and West I would think.

Just a great football game to watch and awesome road win for Waverly. Coming back after being down 14 showed a lot of heart and toughness. It really doesn't get a whole lot better than that :) Awful proud of our kids and staff.

Sure hated to see so many kids go down with injuries. Hoping they're not too bad but it didn't look good. Hang in there Tigers! Good luck to Valley the rest of the way.

TIGERTOWN87
Waterboy

Post by TIGERTOWN87 »

I would like to give a shoutout to Brayden Snodgrass of the Tigers! Filled in defensively due to injuries and finished game with 9.5 tackles. He played both ways the whole 2nd half, and helped plow open the holes that helped get Shoemaker 150 yds on the ground. I agree with Old School, Coach D Crabtree always is well prepared, and they definitely were tonight. Hats off to the Indians, but a resilient victory for the Tigers. It’s Burg week!!!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The Waverly Tigers showed some toughness, grit and what they were actually made of by coming back to win this thing.
I agree TIGERTOWN87, huge shoutout to Brayden....

FIRST QUARTER
Valley drove right down the field by running the ball and then first throw is intercepted by E. Wolfe on a diving catch at the 10.
Wolfe went out and would not return until the 2nd quarter.
Tigers go 3 and out and punt.
Valley drives down the field and scores 7-0
Tigers put together a drive and score on a 3 yd run by Shoemaker with 2:22 to play in the quarter 7-7.
(Marquez went down on a catch and tackle on the drive).
Ensuing kickoff returned to the Waverly 32.
With .06 to go in the quarter Valley runner tales it 22 yards up the middle for the TD 14-7 Valley.
(SORRY ABOUT NOT GETTING NAMES OR NUMBERS)
Shoemaker kickoff return to the Tiger 42 as quarter ends
END OF ONE 14-7

SECOND QUARTER
Tigers with a 4th and 3 at the 48 go and make it.
Valley with the INT on pass deflect and picked at the Valley 20 to stall the Tiger drive.
3:15 of second #17 with 10 yard run up the middle for the TD. Valley ate up clock 21-7
Tigers put together a drive and Shanks hits E. Wolf from 20 yards with 1:34 to play in the half. 21-14
Diener kickoff blasted into the end zone - Valley ball at 20.
JT Barnett with two big TFL to make it 3rd and 15 at the 15 with 1:15 to play timeout Waverly.
#17 to the 29 making it 4th and 1 and Valley time-out with .28 to play.
Valley punt returned by Shoemaker to the Valley 39 with .17 to play.
First down pass to the 5 with obvious contact and no PI call - .09 to play.
Flea flicker play to Zeke Brown goes down at the 20 with .02 left on the clock - clock should stop with the first down but it didnt. The officials huddle for a few minutes and call it the half.
Not saying Waverly would have scored but Tiger ball at the 20 with one play - they had a good chance.

HALFTIME 21-14 VALLEY

THIRD QUARTER
Tiger kickoff return to the 47.
A heavy dose of Shoemaker runs to the 22.
A pass to E Wolf and runs by Shoemaker had to the 5 with 3rd and goal. An incomplete passs made it 4th and goal at the 5.
Shanks fakes the handoff to Shoemaker and hits Zeke Brown in the end zone for the TD.
9:02 of the Third 21-21
Deep kickoff and Tigers gets warm the returner at the 15. Side official (on the Waverly side) calls a personal foul facemask (would be the 1st of 2 big ones on the night).
After a Valley drive stalls punt goes out of bounds at the Tiger 32 with 6:49 to play in the 3rd.
Tigers with a mixup and high snap fumble and Valley recovers at the Tiger 29.
Tigers hold Valley to a 3rd and 9 at the 27 and Shope scrambles and connects a pass to the 8.
3:38 Shope with another scramble and hits a wide open receiver in the end zone. 28-21 Valley
Shoemaker kickoff return to the 42.
A muggging on a pass over the middle, Tiger ball at the Valley 39.
After a pass to E Wolf to the 32,Shoemaker run to the 20 with 2:28 and Brown goes down with an injury.
A holding on Waverly makes it 1st and 15 at the 25.
On 2nd down Shanks hits Phoenix Wolfe from 21 yards with 1:38 to play and its all tied at 28.
Valley has it 2nd and 7 at the Tiger 43 as the third ends.

FOURTH QUARTER
Run to the Tiger 30.
Holding, 1st and 23 at the 44.
Pass to the Waverly 37 makes it 2nd and 16.
Pass to the left sideline picked by Shoemaker and taken to the house (80 yards or so).
9:33 to play 35-28 Waverly
Valley drive has it 3rd and 7 at the 49 and timeout with 6:50 to play.
Shope scrambles and the Tigers stop him well short of the first down and the same side official calls a personal foul face mask again. First down Valley at the Waverly 35.
After two runs has it 3rd and 5 at the 30 Shope scrambles and pass is out of bounds with 4:45 to play.
4th & 5 at the 30 - open over the middle - missed him high.
Tigers take over with 4:52 to play.
After a couple short runs by Shoemaker has it 3rd and 5 Shoemaker runs it for a first down to the 42 with 3:30 to play.
A couple more short runs has it 3rd and 6 at the 45 with 2:23 to play and a Valley timeout.
Shanks rolled out to the right and throws it away with no open receivers but is roughed after the throw with 2:17.
1st and 10 and the Valley 39.
After a couple short runs by Shoemaker Tigers have it third and 4 at the 34 with 1:15 to play.
Shoemaker run to the 30 with 1:00 to play making it 4th and 1.
Shanks keeper up the middle for the first down and that was game.

Tigers escape with the 35-28 win. I don’t think anyone who knows these two teams expected a blowout. We knew Valley would score points - just had to score more than them.
The Tiger offense was out of sink early but once E.Wolf returned they got it going.
Tigers made enough stops in the 2nd half and the pick 6 was just a thing of beauty.......
Valley is a very dangerous 2-4 team..

Waverly hit with injuries in this one - hopefully not bad............
Tigers get some rest and guys healed up - the Pirates coming to the Jungle

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Waverly 35 Valley 28

Post by mattash »

Waverly 35 Valley 28

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

Great half time defensive adjustments by the Tigers.

allsports
Waterboy

Post by allsports »

What a game from the start. Valley shored up many tackling mistakes of the past few weeks, and really showed that they have grit. Waverly has an impressive back in the Shoemaker kid, he is a sight to watch. Both teams played very solid offensively, but both need to improve the secondaries. Several options passing were open all night from safeties playing too high or shallow, to the corners getting beat playing man coverage. It will be an interesting run for both in the upcoming weeks. Valley has an opportunity to gain momentum over the rest of the season, and I feel give Burg a handful if they shore up that secondary. Waverly could have a good run as well, offensively have to make defenses play honest, and not load up the middle of the field. Looking forward to seeing the future of Valley Football!!

Return to “Football”