Waterboy

Re: Portsmouth (3-2) @ Coal Grove (3-2)

Post by peterpan20 »

close game coal grove 28 portsmouth 20

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Parker runs wild in this one as Trojans win whether one dimensional or not.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Native Blood
JV Team

Post by Native Blood »

Coal grove by 7 or more, there pass game will win it for them.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming:
"WOW...WHAT A RIDE!!!"
Fattseycline
Freshman Team

Post by Fattseycline »

Cg will have to get over a tough loss! We will have to come ready to play and make sure to put the game way early.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Portsmouth needs this game and comes out a winner with Parker leading the way!! With some passing yards to keep the CG honest

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Unless the Trojans come out with a better effort vs. the Hornets than they did vs. GAHS, Portsmouth will not win this game. I've said it since the beginning of the season, we just cannot rely on the ground game of Talyn Parker, Tyler McCoy, and Ty Pendelton. We have to be able to pass some......not a lot, but enough to keep CG from stacking the line and daring us to pass. Gallia Academy made us pay for being one dimensional, and it may be more of the same Friday night unless things change.

GO TROJANS!!!

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Coal Grove tough loss last week and bounces back to win 6-10 points this week. Contain the back and a victory. Remember Portsmouth evidently only with one win over a 6-4 team since 2010.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

earlier i stated. this was one of portsmouth loses. i change my mind i believe they win by 10

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Not sure what coal groves defense is like. But if they stop Parker then it’s there game. If they do stop him and lattimore struggles with the pass it’s time to make a change. We should of beat coal grove last year and got burnt on 2 bombs. Next 4 of 5 are tough. I thought south point and Chesapeake were for sure wins but peace is setting at 4-1 right now. Trojans have speed so learning toward them by a score.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
buckeyenation
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeyenation »

No ones talking about Portsmouth defense that made no adjustments Friday night. At some point you have to stop the run and why does Lattimore have not one run in the game? CG wins this by two scores the Trojans are to predictable

Fattseycline
Freshman Team

Post by Fattseycline »

Grove had a good practice today the coach had a heart to heart with the team lol they will have to get tougher this week and I think they will. Everyone says stop Parker and the full back(can’t think of his name) but that’s easier said then done both are good athletes. Cg can win just have to get our stuff together and play like we are capable of doing.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

This is a game of two teams who cannot afford another conference loss. I see this being a high scoring affair. Coal Grove in a nail biter, 34-32.

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Frank Reagan wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:04 am This is a game of two teams who cannot afford another conference loss. I see this being a high scoring affair. Coal Grove in a nail biter, 34-32.
I agree. If either team has any hope of contending for the league championship, they can't afford another loss. I'm still a little surprised that CG lost to the Peake last week. Coal Grove at home you would think would give them the edge. Grove better get there confidence back pretty quick. If PHS gets there running game going, they can be a problem for any team.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

buckeyenation wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:04 am No ones talking about Portsmouth defense that made no adjustments Friday night. At some point you have to stop the run and why does Lattimore have not one run in the game? CG wins this by two scores the Trojans are to predictable
You are correct but also the offense made no adjustments. It looked like they gave up and just kept handing off. Kept running in the 4th quarter. Lattimore probably can’t run because everyone loads the box for Parker so whoever runs will be stopped. If we can’t pass Friday it’s time for a change. Just because you’re a senior shouldn’t be the reason you stay in a game. That goes for any position. If you’re struggling you need to switch. It’s not meant to hurt a kids feelings but it’s to get a win. I hope he throws the lights out Friday. I’m just saying if we have places that are struggling we need to fix them if possible.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Hoping to see a different Coal Grove team that what we saw last week.

I guess my biggest issue the last few weeks are the stupid penalties. That has killed us. Over the past three weeks the Grove has a total of 22 penalties for 233 yards (101 yards in one game). With a some of those being unsportsmanlike calls that should never happen. Need to clean this up this week and also clean up the defense. Chesapeake ran for over 200 yards on us. If Parker is able to get loose this Friday it I don't see up having anyone who will catch him.

I know on another thread it looks like I don't support my Grove, I do support them. I just want to see these areas of the game cleaned up. The penalties should have been taken care of after South Point and we still had stupid flags against Peake that with coaching should never happen.

buckeyenation
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeyenation »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:53 pm
buckeyenation wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:04 am No ones talking about Portsmouth defense that made no adjustments Friday night. At some point you have to stop the run and why does Lattimore have not one run in the game? CG wins this by two scores the Trojans are to predictable
I got to disagree you can run qb a lot different then a rb. I mean not one carry and probably 3 on the year. Bootleg not one time lol

You are correct but also the offense made no adjustments. It looked like they gave up and just kept handing off. Kept running in the 4th quarter. Lattimore probably can’t run because everyone loads the box for Parker so whoever runs will be stopped. If we can’t pass Friday it’s time for a change. Just because you’re a senior shouldn’t be the reason you stay in a game. That goes for any position. If you’re struggling you need to switch. It’s not meant to hurt a kids feelings but it’s to get a win. I hope he throws the lights out Friday. I’m just saying if we have places that are struggling we need to fix them if possible.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Ok I am not a Portsmouth fan I am a Gallia academy supporter. So I only have fridays game to go on.

Gallia has a pretty good game experienced QB and he only managed to be 6-19 in that wind Friday night. I thought your receivers really let your quarterback down. I thought under the circumstances most of his throws pretty good. You had some drops that just killed you and got gate out of hand. I haven’t seen coal grove but I have saw Chesapeake. I think Portsmouth will be very competitive in every game you have rest of season.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I agree Portsmouth is very one dimensional on offense, but I feel like Lattimore had a couple of decent throws against GA. To me the biggest thing was the line on both sides of the ball were just out played big time. On offense GA stacked the box took the run game out. Lattimore can’t stand in the pocket to throw because he doesn’t have enough protection, so they roll him out and he still didn’t have time to throw, had a few recievers drop the ball too. On defense there was 0 penetration into the GA backfield, they just wore down the defense. Also couldn’t cover the sideline pass. So if Portsmouth wants to beat CG they must control the line of scrimmage imo and just play better overall defense, as well as give Lattimore time to throw if they can’t get Parker going. Hoping for no rain Friday...we shall see. Lol
Last edited by PTrojan59 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Who Dey!
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

buckeyenation: I actually thought that Portsmouth's defense played fairly well vs. Gallia Academy, with the exception of defending the pass on the left side flat. That play worked all night for big yards. I think GAHS's final total of 34 points was due in part to the D getting fatigued from so many 3 and outs by the offense. Our punter was way too busy last Friday, and that normally can be interpreted as caused by a stagnant offense.

You correctly stated above that Portsmouth has become predictable on offense, and I said above that if that continues with a virtually non-existent passing threat, the better teams on the Trojans' schedule will find them much easier to defend, even with star RB Talyn Parker. Portsmouth West and Gallia Academy had the formula for stopping the PHS offense (0 and 7 points respectively), and the Trojans couldn't come up with a Plan B.

The Trojans can still make a push to the top 8 in the region........with 2 losses now, they probably can't afford more than 1 more loss, so this and every game left is almost like a playoff game. But the offense has to become more neopolitan.

GO TROJANS!!!

Return to “Football”