Post by mattash »

Were they too big for the PVC?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Warren to join ECOL in 2020-21

Post by Omega »

Poo Bear wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:30 pm Awesome for warren! Good solid league.
Currently the ECOL is a solid leauge as comprised at the moment, but it is my understanding that Dover and New Philly are looking north to the Canton area for a new leauge affiliation.

I am happy Warren has found a home but will the ECOL be in existence come 2020?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

TVC needs to quit being sissies and vote fort frye, Jackson, ravenswood, warren and logan in.
3 divisions.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Dover, New Philly and Zanesville have looked for other leagues. They are still looking. It hasn't happened and it doesn't look like it is going to happen anytime soon.

Cambridge applied to the MVL with Meadowbrook, Coshocton, and River View. The MVL needed 3 teams to go from 9 to 12 and Cambridge was left out purely because 13 is not a good number.

The 8 team ECOL just had too big of a discrepancy as far as school size and sports success plus the distance between many schools was 2 hour range. The 9 team MVL had smaller schools that were successful off and on throughout it's history (started in 1938), but over about the last 8 years the 4 largest schools have dominated the 4 smallest schools in almost every sport. Travel in the MVL has been good with longest trip under 90 minutes. Last year for the first time in league history the league was ready to split big/small. The 4 smallest ECOL schools jumped at the chance to get in the MVL. The MVL took 3. Zanesville has pushed hard to get in the MVL and even threw a public fit when the MVL did not take them. The MVL small and midsized schools do not want another really big school. When you throw in the kids who attend Zanesville Community School (who are eligible to play sports for Zanesville), Zanesville is bigger than Tri-Valley and certainly all the other MVL schools.

I'm guessing the schools in the north that the ECOL are targetting are Louisville and Canton Central Catholic. Am I close bobcatQB?

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

teach1coach2 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:47 pm Dover, New Philly and Zanesville have looked for other leagues. They are still looking. It hasn't happened and it doesn't look like it is going to happen anytime soon.

Cambridge applied to the MVL with Meadowbrook, Coshocton, and River View. The MVL needed 3 teams to go from 9 to 12 and Cambridge was left out purely because 13 is not a good number.

The 8 team ECOL just had too big of a discrepancy as far as school size and sports success plus the distance between many schools was 2 hour range. The 9 team MVL had smaller schools that were successful off and on throughout it's history (started in 1938), but over about the last 8 years the 4 largest schools have dominated the 4 smallest schools in almost every sport. Travel in the MVL has been good with longest trip under 90 minutes. Last year for the first time in league history the league was ready to split big/small. The 4 smallest ECOL schools jumped at the chance to get in the MVL. The MVL took 3. Zanesville has pushed hard to get in the MVL and even threw a public fit when the MVL did not take them. The MVL small and midsized schools do not want another really big school. When you throw in the kids who attend Zanesville Community School (who are eligible to play sports for Zanesville), Zanesville is bigger than Tri-Valley and certainly all the other MVL schools.

I'm guessing the schools in the north that the ECOL are targetting are Louisville and Canton Central Catholic. Am I close bobcatQB?
yep, that's two for sure. Zanesville seems to change leagues every 5 years and they are never happy. They want to be affiliated w/ schools to the West but have been unsuccessful. NP & Dover like the ECOL and plan to continue but with recent turmoil, they have been exploring to keep their options open. Adding Warren won't help unless someone else is added North.

rockcoach
Freshman Team

Post by rockcoach »

Warren is in a league. OVAC.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

I just can't consider the OVAC a league when all the teams in the same division do not play each other. I always viewed the OVAC as more of a "political alliance" than a league. Especially with their rumored block voting on which officials get OHSAA tourney games.

There is no conference schedule. You have to play a certain percentage of teams that are in the OVAC to qualify for the league tourney. Your standing is based on your overall record. It has about 30 teams and they are placed in divisions (AAAA, AAA, AA, A).

The OVAC trumps any other league you are in. They assign officials for your home varsity contests with other OVAC members (even if you are both part of another league). Some leagues like the ECOL and PVC have existed with some of their members getting their officials through the OVAC and others getting officials from their traditional league.

Some leagues like the MVL have a rule that members can only be a member of the MVL.

Return to “Football”