IMAGINATION: DEFENSE ?

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

IMAGINATION: DEFENSE ?

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Maybe It's just me but is defense going the way of the dinosaur ? I understand with conferences you're going to have some perennial winners and losers, some for decades at a time but it seems to me at the high school level that defense is becoming a lost art. I also understand the new formations and offensive schemes have multiplied over the years and 7 on 7's in the off season etc. but you see so many games nowadays where teams are scoring 30, 40 and even 50 points and LOSING. Thoughts ?

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: IMAGINATION: DEFENSE ?

Post by Ironman92 »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:59 pm Maybe It's just me but is defense going the way of the dinosaur ? I understand with conferences you're going to have some perennial winners and losers, some for decades at a time but it seems to me at the high school level that defense is becoming a lost art. I also understand the new formations and offensive schemes have multiplied over the years and 7 on 7's in the off season etc. but you see so many games nowadays where teams are scoring 30, 40 and even 50 points and LOSING. Thoughts ?
Several teams can run and pass but few teams can really defend them both.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

69-40 bring this thread on?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

It's not that teams aren't putting time and effort into playing defense, it's just how the game has changed offensively.
You don't see very many high school football teams hanging their hat on 3 yards and a cloud of dust offenses.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

smurray wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:11 pm 69-40 bring this thread on?
It's not just the Jackson game !!!!! Just last night 44-42, 43-35, 49-35, 47-26, 56-30, 56-36, 57-51, 45-38, 60-33, 48-32 and 50-31 are just some of the higher scoring games in Ohio last night and those were just the somewhat competitive games not including the 15 or 20 complete blowouts when some teams scored 50 or 60 points and won big.

allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:13 pm It's not that teams aren't putting time and effort into playing defense, it's just how the game has changed offensively.
You don't see very many high school football teams hanging their hat on 3 yards and a cloud of dust offenses.
Couldn’t said it better it’s a different game!

BallzDeep
Waterboy

Post by BallzDeep »

I would say year in and year out Trimbles defense is pretty solid. This years D is really really good. Virtually no one they have played can really run on them and they haven’t given up many yards passing either. Having 2 great coach’s that were great players in coach Trace and coach Koons they will continue to get better and that’s scary.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Even with the offenses which i mentioned on my post after i originally started the thread , championship caliber defenses always rise to the top at the end of the year and i still believe defense wins championships and not basketball on grass/turf. In last years state finals games the winner in all 7 games held the state runner-up teams to 18 points on average with 4 of the games being 14 or less. If you allow 30-40 points a game in a regular season regardless of record you will not go far in the playoffs. That's all i'm saying .

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:56 pm Even with the offenses which i mentioned on my post after i originally started the thread , championship caliber defenses always rise to the top at the end of the year and i still believe defense wins championships and not basketball on grass/turf. In last years state finals games the winner in all 7 games held the state runner-up teams to 18 points on average with 4 of the games being 14 or less. If you allow 30-40 points a game in a regular season regardless of record you will not go far in the playoffs. That's all i'm saying .
It's hard to compare most of those schools with Southeastern Ohio schools....
Most of those schools don't have most of their kids playing both ways plus special teams lol

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

smurray wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:11 pm 69-40 bring this thread on?
Courthouse has great athletes all over the field . They take chance after chance downfield . They make you defend every inch of the field . Giving up 30 today is like giving up 14 twenty years ago. I can’t speak for the courthouse defense . There are no words .

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:07 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:56 pm Even with the offenses which i mentioned on my post after i originally started the thread , championship caliber defenses always rise to the top at the end of the year and i still believe defense wins championships and not basketball on grass/turf. In last years state finals games the winner in all 7 games held the state runner-up teams to 18 points on average with 4 of the games being 14 or less. If you allow 30-40 points a game in a regular season regardless of record you will not go far in the playoffs. That's all i'm saying .
It's hard to compare most of those schools with Southeastern Ohio schools....
Most of those schools don't have most of their kids playing both ways plus special teams lol
A lot of teams around the whole state, especially D5, 6 and 7 have a lot of kids that go both ways, not just SEO. Wheelersburg was one of those schools last year mentioned above that allowed 14. Trimble always plays good defense and have made it that far. Ironton relied on their defense for decades in big games. It can be done. Every now and then you'll see a year like Athen's had in 2014 where you lose an offensive championship game 56-52 but Toledo Central Catholic that year had 2 regular season games where they scored 70 or more. That's an anomaly.

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

When teams primarily stayed in tight formations ran the ball more than passed and didnt spread the field you could find 11hardnosed kids that might not have been the most athletic but you could teach good tackling skills, pursuit , and swarming to the ball and have a decent defense. Unless you are superior to the teams you play you are not going get the defense that you had in the past that held good teams scoreless. Sometimes it comes down to getting two stops in a game to win it. In southeast Ohio the teams that have the " good defenses" are just plain better than the team they are playing personnel wise." When those "good southeastern Ohio defenses " go deep into the playoffs they eventually meet up with a team with enough athletes to humble them. It becomes a game of practically one on one match ups. Most teams lack the ability to match up in space, they are always covering a weak link somewhere in their secondary or perimeter players. They find your weak link and move personal around within the formations to get what they want. It's tough for a defensive coordinator coaching high school kids to have the kids prepared with a defense that can handle facing a wing t team one week and a great spread team the next week.Some defenses have become antiquated and wont hold up unless you are just plain superior. You cant run cover 3 and if your coverages get too complex the kids get confused. Those are the good spread teams the other side of the coin is everyone thinks the Spread Offenses are the answer and every team can run it. They cant. I have seen some very ugly Spread Offenses that were trying to run it without the right kind of athletes and they would be much better under center pounding the ground and controlling the clock.Sitting in the stands this year I was listening to two guys bitching about the coach and how he should be running the spread. They no more had the quarterback or type of kids to run it than the man in the moon.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Charles Farquar wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:22 pm When teams primarily stayed in tight formations ran the ball more than passed and didnt spread the field you could find 11hardnosed kids that might not have been the most athletic but you could teach good tackling skills, pursuit , and swarming to the ball and have a decent defense. Unless you are superior to the teams you play you are not going get the defense that you had in the past that held good teams scoreless. Sometimes it comes down to getting two stops in a game to win it. In southeast Ohio the teams that have the " good defenses" are just plain better than the team they are playing personnel wise." When those "good southeastern Ohio defenses " go deep into the playoffs they eventually meet up with a team with enough athletes to humble them. It becomes a game of practically one on one match ups. Most teams lack the ability to match up in space, they are always covering a weak link somewhere in their secondary or perimeter players. They find your weak link and move personal around within the formations to get what they want. It's tough for a defensive coordinator coaching high school kids to have the kids prepared with a defense that can handle facing a wing t team one week and a great spread team the next week.Some defenses have become antiquated and wont hold up unless you are just plain superior. You cant run cover 3 and if your coverages get too complex the kids get confused. Those are the good spread teams the other side of the coin is everyone thinks the Spread Offenses are the answer and every team can run it. They cant. I have seen some very ugly Spread Offenses that were trying to run it without the right kind of athletes and they would be much better under center pounding the ground and controlling the clock.Sitting in the stands this year I was listening to two guys bitching about the coach and how he should be running the spread. They no more had the quarterback or type of kids to run it than the man in the moon.
They do get confused on the cover 3 at the high school level for sure, good point. Good post.

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

ImageI should have made myself clearer. Lot of teams in the past relied in cover 3 and they stayed in it. Sometimes the safety was so deep and inactive you couldn't find him. Now kids may have to learn several coverages. Most defenses facing Spread teams play some type of 4 spoke or 4 deep whether quarters or some press cover 2 at times. The cover 3 teams might have to resort to quarter quarter half. No matter what they 9lay the kids have to learn to be lined up right and it becomes half the battle. If they dont it leads to big plays.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Charles Farquhar-Very ture, the game has evolved and teams that can run the spread are very tough to stop. But there are teams having success with everything from I, Wing-T, Toss, and forms of the old Single-Wing. It is a lot harder to hide a weak link anymore. The spread, 5 wide, and no huddle have changed the ways you can play defense and with out the athletes to match up you are in trouble.

A lot of people do not want to admit this but it is more about the Jimmies and Joes than the X and the Os!

One Hall of Fame Coach once said, "If you are from SE Ohio and win games in the playoffs you will play your way to a butt kicking." Just think how many times has that happened? Another coach also once said that you can not stop and perfectly thrown pass.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Happening again this week. No excuses for allowing 40, 50 points by halftime. It's getting even worse. I've seen more running clock games than ever this year. Leagues are so imbalanced and this helps no SEO teams once they get to playoffs. WOW !!!!! :shock:

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:34 pm Happening again this week. No excuses for allowing 40, 50 points by halftime. It's getting even worse. I've seen more running clock games than ever this year. Leagues are so imbalanced and this helps no SEO teams once they get to playoffs. WOW !!!!! :shock:
Jackson held MT to 7 yards of offense tonight

FAC is silly. Washington has scored 90 points the last two weeks.....but is 0-2 and last all 3 by 3-4 TD

allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:21 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:34 pm Happening again this week. No excuses for allowing 40, 50 points by halftime. It's getting even worse. I've seen more running clock games than ever this year. Leagues are so imbalanced and this helps no SEO teams once they get to playoffs. WOW !!!!! :shock:

FAC is silly. Washington has scored 90 points the last two weeks.....but is 0-2 and last all 3 by 3-4 TD
They might say we are good when the clock is running on boro?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

allamericanironman wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:31 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:21 pm

They might say we are good when the clock is running on boro?
That would be quite impressive.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

FAC conference doesn't know how to play defense

Return to “Football”