Gallia Academy 42 Coal Grove 20

CGFAN#1
Freshman Team

Re: Gallia Academy (5-1) @ Coal Grove (4-2)

Post by CGFAN#1 »

svac83 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:29 am
MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:12 pm
svac83 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:34 pm

I am not sure this team is playing as good of ball yet as coach Eddy’s playoff team but they are headed in that direction.
I would say they're playing slightly better on the offensive side of the ball, but not as lockdown on defense.

What would you say GA is looking at next year?
I think during the playoff season the offense was much more balanced and thus was able to strain defenses a little more then this years team so far.

As far as next year and the future goes. I think next year especially early in year this team will be not quite as good as this years. But will get better every week.

We have way to many seniors who have started for almost 3 years to not have a little drop off. But to be honest the talent in program is deep. I personally think as long as Penrod is the coach and the blue devils stay in OVC.

You would expect to be at least 7-3 7 out of every 10 years. Some years better then that. But maybe a couple of 6-4’s or 5-5. At the end of next year I would expect this team to be back close to the top of the OVC.

I honestly think the OVC should move the ironton Gallia academy to week 10 as I think in over 50% of years this could be game for OVC crown.
So SVAC83 Gallia has one good year after several down years and you think you should be the feature program for years to come? What is funny is in your old conference where teams were near your size or larger than Gallia your outcome was not good. Now year 3 in the OVC where you are much larger than most of the schools abd you now have a winning record and now dominant.
Well enjoy your year and your seniors and hope you don't get back to average again.
Also know that the smallest school in the OVC, defending champ, will play with a chip on their shoulder looking to upset the larger school and Gallia is playing not to lose.
Should be a good game but enjoy your season and slow down on the dominance talk.

Stone Cold
JV Team

Post by Stone Cold »

Haven’t seen the Hornets any this year, I’m pulling for the Devils to get the W! Looks like it may be a dandy.

And that's the bottom line, b/c Stone Cold said so....
GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

It will be hard for The Blue Devils to come out of Coal Grove with a win. But, I think that it can be done.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

CGFAN#1 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:39 pm
MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:12 pm

I would say they're playing slightly better on the offensive side of the ball, but not as lockdown on defense.

What would you say GA is looking at next year?
I think during the playoff season the offense was much more balanced and thus was able to strain defenses a little more then this years team so far.

As far as next year and the future goes. I think next year especially early in year this team will be not quite as good as this years. But will get better every week.

We have way to many seniors who have started for almost 3 years to not have a little drop off. But to be honest the talent in program is deep. I personally think as long as Penrod is the coach and the blue devils stay in OVC.

You would expect to be at least 7-3 7 out of every 10 years. Some years better then that. But maybe a couple of 6-4’s or 5-5. At the end of next year I would expect this team to be back close to the top of the OVC.

I honestly think the OVC should move the ironton Gallia academy to week 10 as I think in over 50% of years this could be game for OVC crown.
So SVAC83 Gallia has one good year after several down years and you think you should be the feature program for years to come? What is funny is in your old conference where teams were near your size or larger than Gallia your outcome was not good. Now year 3 in the OVC where you are much larger than most of the schools abd you now have a winning record and now dominant.
Well enjoy your year and your seniors and hope you don't get back to average again.
Also know that the smallest school in the OVC, defending champ, will play with a chip on their shoulder looking to upset the larger school and Gallia is playing not to lose.
Should be a good game but enjoy your season and slow down on the dominance talk.
No I don’t think Gallia should be the feature program. Let’s start from the back end of my comment first. And that would come from really saying that the Portsmouth ironton game should not be week 10. If you wanted to tell me it should be coal grove and ironton or some other combo that didn’t include Gallia I may be in agreement.
Mans I by no means think that me saying ironton and Gallia could both be pretty good in 5 of 10 years is crazy.

If you go back to the rest of my comment Gallia academy has long term non conference deals with river valley and meigs if you look at blue devils history against these teams. I don’t think it is crazy to think Gallia wins those games 7 of 10 years.

I also don’t think it is crazy. That the blue devils beat south Point, Portsmouth, rock hill, and Chesapeake 7 of 10 years. I don’t think it is crazy to think they win 40% of time against coal grove and fairland. That is the only thing I said by no means does that sound to me like I am saying they should be dominant

Buckeye2018
Waterboy

Post by Buckeye2018 »

the argument about being a bigger school has nothing to do with it you get 11 players on the field same as anyone else rest of the players stand to the side the better coaches,better disaplined and conditioned team wins Gallia will be better next year the jv team is strong and Jr high is very good as well and they have one of the better coaches in southeast ohio...I may be wrong but I believe that gallia is heading back to having teams like they did from 1999 to 2006 not great teams but very good ones consistently ....coal grove will be tough this week no doubt I feel the team that establishes a consistent running attack will win this game

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

Buckeye2018 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:17 am the argument about being a bigger school has nothing to do with it you get 11 players on the field same as anyone else rest of the players stand to the side the better coaches,better disaplined and conditioned team wins Gallia will be better next year the jv team is strong and Jr high is very good as well and they have one of the better coaches in southeast ohio...I may be wrong but I believe that gallia is heading back to having teams like they did from 1999 to 2006 not great teams but very good ones consistently ....coal grove will be tough this week no doubt I feel the team that establishes a consistent running attack will win this game
The issue with it simply being 11 vs 11 is not as simple as you want to make it. While yes each team can field 11 guys at any given moment in the game, the truth is that a larger school, enrollment wise, has more kids to choose from to find those 11 players. That does not always mean the team with larger enrollment will always be a better team, which is where your opinion on coaches, discipline, and conditioning come into factor. But bottom line is larger schools, definitely have an advantage in having a larger pool of kids to find those 11 players on the field.

Fattseycline
Freshman Team

Post by Fattseycline »

Buckeye2018 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:17 am the argument about being a bigger school has nothing to do with it you get 11 players on the field same as anyone else rest of the players stand to the side the better coaches,better disaplined and conditioned team wins Gallia will be better next year the jv team is strong and Jr high is very good as well and they have one of the better coaches in southeast ohio...I may be wrong but I believe that gallia is heading back to having teams like they did from 1999 to 2006 not great teams but very good ones consistently ....coal grove will be tough this week no doubt I feel the team that establishes a consistent running attack will win this game
I agree and disagree. Yes the fact is it’s our 11 vs their 11. But Cg was just a couple of kids away from being D7 and there is a reason that you get more or less points from beating schools bigger or smaller them you. The size of the district does give teams an advantage in having more kids to pick from and the biggest advantage is depth. Now there are teams like Marin Local and coldwater that could beat just about anyone in the state, but they also have more recourses and $ for funding then most schools around here. They also pick and choose what kids come into their school system. Now Cg can’t make excuses they just have to play everyone on their schedule and we can beat anyone we play. We just have to play smart and hard for 4 quarters!

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Fattseycline wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:37 pm
I agree and disagree. Yes the fact is it’s our 11 vs their 11. But Cg was just a couple of kids away from being D7 and there is a reason that you get more or less points from beating schools bigger or smaller them you. The size of the district does give teams an advantage in having more kids to pick from and the biggest advantage is depth. Now there are teams like Marin Local and coldwater that could beat just about anyone in the state, but they also have more recourses and $ for funding then most schools around here. They also pick and choose what kids come into their school system. Now Cg can’t make excuses they just have to play everyone on their schedule and we can beat anyone we play. We just have to play smart and hard for 4 quarters!
Hearing this from coal grove I will take a little bit. The OVC as a whole though even if you add coal grove in probably averages maybe 50 less kids then Gallia academy and I give you 50 kids may be a lot but I would counter that with. How many schools in OVC have like 16 kids on there golf team and how many have over 20 boys on cross country team and how many have over 25 or soccer team. I think a lot of those extra kids are playing other sports.

But I agree there is a little advantage but in this conference that is a small advantage I think.

CGFAN#1
Freshman Team

Post by CGFAN#1 »

svac83 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:18 pm

No I don’t think Gallia should be the feature program. Let’s start from the back end of my comment first. And that would come from really saying that the Portsmouth ironton game should not be week 10. If you wanted to tell me it should be coal grove and ironton or some other combo that didn’t include Gallia I may be in agreement.
Mans I by no means think that me saying ironton and Gallia could both be pretty good in 5 of 10 years is crazy.

If you go back to the rest of my comment Gallia academy has long term non conference deals with river valley and meigs if you look at blue devils history against these teams. I don’t think it is crazy to think Gallia wins those games 7 of 10 years.

I also don’t think it is crazy. That the blue devils beat south Point, Portsmouth, rock hill, and Chesapeake 7 of 10 years. I don’t think it is crazy to think they win 40% of time against coal grove and fairland. That is the only thing I said by no means does that sound to me like I am saying they should be dominant
Your result logic does make sense. Realize only 2 of those schools are D4 which is your size. All others are D5 or D6. You are playing smaller schools to be relevant and likely hope a newly winning program will get you recruits from RV and SG. However there is no reason with your school size you should not be competitive in the OVC but you should be required to be 8-2 to make the playoffs.
In regard to school size it does matter especially where depth and fatigue can play a factor.
You also state below there is around 55 kids difference between most schools and that may be true with Fairland, Peake and RH but not CG, Ironton and Portsmouth. Remember the numbers measuring boys is only 3 grades so you have to divide that by 3 then X by 4 to get the real number difference. Schools like CG, Ironton and Portsmouth have to play alot of Sophomores and in some cases freshman to have decent depth where larger schools don't. Gallia has around 200 more boys in your HS than CG over 4 grades and you know what? We will be ready to compete tomorrow just like we did last year in Football and Basketball.
Go Big Grove!

CGFAN#1
Freshman Team

Post by CGFAN#1 »

CGFAN#1 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:05 pm
svac83 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:18 pm

Your result logic does make sense. Realize only 2 of those schools are D4 which is your size. All others are D5 or D6. You are playing smaller schools to be relevant and likely hope a newly winning program will get you recruits from RV and SG. However there is no reason with your school size you should not be competitive in the OVC but you should be required to be 8-2 to make the playoffs.
In regard to school size it does matter especially where depth and fatigue can play a factor.
You also state below there is around 55 kids difference between most schools and that may be true with Fairland, Peake and RH but not CG, Ironton and Portsmouth. Remember the numbers measuring boys is only 3 grades so you have to divide that by 3 then X by 4 to get the real number difference. Schools like CG, Ironton and Portsmouth have to play alot of Sophomores and in some cases freshman to have decent depth where larger schools don't. Gallia has around 200 more boys in your HS than CG over 4 grades and you know what? We will be ready to compete tomorrow just like we did last year in Football and Basketball.
Go Big Grove!
I GOT ONE MORE THING TO SAY SVAC83!
Safe travels to you and all of Gallia folks comiing down to the Grove. Looking forward to a safe and competitive game. I also enjoy the banter.
As you can tell I take pride in how our small school is competitive at a 1-2 division level up. Tomorrow should be no different.
Go Big Grove!

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

Sheesh. If the Angry Hornet fans have this big of a chip on their shoulder, I wonder how badly the players want to win. *Sarcasm alert*

Hope for an injury free game. Think GA is too much for the Grove this time around. 35-14 is my final prediction.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I think that you think Gallia much bigger then they are. And besides that you apparently reading much more in too any post then I wrote.

I think the blue devils will be 7-3 partially because they are bigger then a lot of there opponents especially in conference and I believe there is a lot of years that 7-3 might not get them in playoffs.

Why do you think because I said this team should be able to go 5-2 in league most years and 7-3 overall convert to me saying we would be a powerhouse.

You are exaggerating me saying we are a big fish in a small pond. Into me thinking we are going to be a great program.

As far as depth and some things go. Gallia academy hasn’t been able to get 50 kids in the football program since we started varsity soccer. And just an FYI. When you look on the football field tommorow night Gallia will have several freshmen and sophomores on the field every snap.

I hope for a safe game also. Hopefully it is a great game

Fattseycline
Freshman Team

Post by Fattseycline »

Go big grove!!! Good luck hornets!!!

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Game day! Grove needs this for any playoff, hope the boys come out with fire and show that they are still the defending OVC champs and they are not afraid of anyone, no matter the size of the team or school.

Fattseycline
Freshman Team

Post by Fattseycline »

2trap_4ever wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:43 am Game day! Grove needs this for any playoff, hope the boys come out with fire and show that they are still the defending OVC champs and they are not afraid of anyone, no matter the size of the team or school.
Playoff game tonight Cg is a must win from here on out

Matt77
Varsity

Post by Matt77 »

Hornet fans, you saw it last year and you saw it last week towards the end. The team feeds off the energy the fans create. Get there, get loud and stay loud. Let’s show these boys some support!!

Go Grove!

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

Hopefully Gallia brings home the win

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

This is a great game. Both teams pretty much ran down Portsmouth’s throat. Gallia has the edge in my book. They run well, kill you on Short passes and defense was pretty good. If coal grove made some changes in defense from last friday they can win. There qb is a stud. He beat Portsmouth. He runs hard and can throw a good ball. Gallia qb looks big as well but they ran so well against the Trojans there was no need to throw. But what I did notice is when he did throw the receivers dropped balls. Tough game to choose but I’ll give my edge to the blue devils.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
CGFAN#1
Freshman Team

Post by CGFAN#1 »

I am also hoping for a good loud crowd tonight.
I have a good feeling that the upset is possible. I expect a good offensive and defensive performance.
COAL GROVE 28 Gallipolis 27.
Go Big Grove!

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Nope, Gallipolis is gonna have to wait another 2 weeks for their 2nd loss.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"

Return to “Football”