Site Admin

Portsmouth 55 Chesapeake 39

Post by mattash »

thoughts?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: (3-3) Portsmouth @ (3-3) Chesapeake

Post by trojandave »

I'm wondering which Trojan team will show up.......this Portsmouth team is very unpredictable, showing at times they can play good football, and at other times not so much. The defense is coming off probably its worst performance of the year vs. Coal Grove, giving up 36 points, and could have given up another TD if not for a dropped pass in the end zone.

I'm hoping that our Trojans are still motivated to go out and play hard, and they better, because the Panthers beat Coal Grove and scored 27 vs. Ironton. Talyn Parker should have another good game, and I look for PHS to score several TD's based on CHS's defensive record, but can the Trojan defense rise up and get enough stops?

Portsmouth still has a chance to have a winning season in Coach Kalb's first year.

GO TROJANS!!

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

I gotta keep picking the Trojans, another Jekyll & Hyde team !!!!!

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I was told Chesapeake has a huge line that actually gave Ironton a fit the first quarter and a half. Was told there qb is fast. They run a fast offense and a lot of short slants and short passes. Gallia ate Portsmouth up on screens. I’m not sure what team shows up. But if you give up over 30 again we are going home with a loss. Parker can run for 500 but if we don’t hold them it’s pointless. I’m leaning toward Portsmouth. Not sure what Chesapeake has. Other then being told I don’t know. And there’s a million stories about any team and how they play

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Both of these teams have confused me all year. Right now I still don't know witch team I would pick to win.

Matt77
Varsity

Post by Matt77 »

I’m taking Portsmouth on the road in this one.

Beergogglebluez
SE

I’ll flip a coin Friday lol. I honestly had this a win preseason. But Chesapeake has really played well. Portsmouth beat them easy last year so I was kind of expecting the same. I was wrong.

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

With Portsmouth, if Talyn Parker runs for 200+ they win. If he's held under 150, I'd say Peake by a score or two.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I think it will be a close high scoring game. I flipped a coin, Portsmouth with the win.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

I see this one being whomever scores last wins. Chesapeake's offense is potent enough to score against a suspect Portsmouth defense at will and I think Portsmouth's Parker could have a field day since Ironton ran pretty much at will with 350 yards on the ground yards last week.

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
Beergogglebluez
SE

Frank Reagan wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:53 am I see this one being whomever scores last wins. Chesapeake's offense is potent enough to score against a suspect Portsmouth defense at will and I think Portsmouth's Parker could have a field day since Ironton ran pretty much at will with 350 yards on the ground yards last week.
He had 261 but that’s still one heck of a game. If he was on a division 1 school i believe he would be the leader in the state. He’s impressive and what he does for us is amazing. Best running back in this area and probably Ohio. Just my opinion.

SouthernSports
Waterboy

Post by SouthernSports »

trojandave wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:12 pm I'm wondering which Trojan team will show up.......this Portsmouth team is very unpredictable, showing at times they can play good football, and at other times not so much. The defense is coming off probably its worst performance of the year vs. Coal Grove, giving up 36 points, and could have given up another TD if not for a dropped pass in the end zone.

I'm hoping that our Trojans are still motivated to go out and play hard, and they better, because the Panthers beat Coal Grove and scored 27 vs. Ironton. Talyn Parker should have another good game, and I look for PHS to score several TD's based on CHS's defensive record, but can the Trojan defense rise up and get enough stops?

Portsmouth still has a chance to have a winning season in Coach Kalb's first year.

GO TROJANS!!
WOW, almost read my mind thought for thought,
Which team shows up
Defense
Parker needs to have a good game
Trojans close because it's on the road.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:20 am
Frank Reagan wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:53 am I see this one being whomever scores last wins. Chesapeake's offense is potent enough to score against a suspect Portsmouth defense at will and I think Portsmouth's Parker could have a field day since Ironton ran pretty much at will with 350 yards on the ground yards last week.
He had 261 but that’s still one heck of a game. If he was on a division 1 school i believe he would be the leader in the state. He’s impressive and what he does for us is amazing. Best running back in this area and probably Ohio. Just my opinion.
I am pretty sure Ironton had a back over 200 yards against Chesapeake. I look for a shootout between Chesy and Portsmouth. Hope the lights on the scoreboard can keep up. :shock:

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
Beergogglebluez
SE

I agree. I think he runs for quite a few yards. We need the win and motivation to finish the season strong.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I know that Chesapeake has improved since the start of the season, or I don't thing they would have beaten CG. I keep going back to the first game of the year when I was told that Oak Hill ran up and down the field on them all night, and scored close to 40 pts. I've also heard that this is not one of OH's better teams. If they could do this to the Peake, I hate to think what Parker from PHS is capable of doing.

Beergogglebluez
SE

VetteMan wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:45 pm I know that Chesapeake has improved since the start of the season, or I don't thing they would have beaten CG. I keep going back to the first game of the year when I was told that Oak Hill ran up and down the field on them all night, and scored close to 40 pts. I've also heard that this is not one of OH's better teams. If they could do this to the Peake, I hate to think what Parker from PHS is capable of doing.
Parker will get his no matter what. My concern is the defense and if it’s a shoot out can we match scores and 2 pt conversions. Cause if we miss one we are down 2. Miss another down 4 so on so on. We have to hold them a time or 2. Interesting game tomorrow. I can’t pick a winner yet. But my heart always says Portsmouth.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Trojans take this one by a score in what could be one of the higher scoring games in the area.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Trojans and coaching staff on the win........it was another entertaining game in which neither team's defense really showed up, but Talyn Parker once again proved he may be the MVP of any team in the SE district. Without him, Portsmouth may not have a win on its schedule thus far. The PHS defense the last 2 weeks has reverted back to its form of the past decade.......time after time unable to get a stop, giving up 75 points the last 2 weeks. The D finally did recover a key fumble by CHS late in the game. QB Danny Lattimore completed some nice passes that gave the Panther defense something else to defend other than Talyn. One thing that Portsmouth did a better job last night was in penalties......they kept them to a minimum, and going forward hopefully that will become a trend.

The defense, though, has got to do better. Relying on the offense and Talyn Parker to outscore the other team is not the ideal scenario. I actually thought early in the season that the D was markedly better, but this evidently was fools gold. Chesapeake looked to have more team speed than the Trojans, and for the most part, with a few exceptions, PHS had no answer for it. Time and time again their sweeps and counter plays made big yards, in addition to a 95 yard kickoff return for a TD. Also I saw time and time again opposing players crossing the goal line standing up, with no one putting a hit on them as they score.

I'm glad for the players and coaches on the win........Portsmouth at 4-3 is still alive for that coveted 8th spot in the region, but it will take the Trojans to win out to make that a real possibility. I don't think that PHS will win out unless the defense steps up. So far, through 7 games Portsmouth is averaging 30.8 PPG on offense, slightly higher than 2017, while giving up 26.1 PPG on defense, which is very close to what they allowed in 2017.

Congratulations to Talyn Parker on breaking the PHS single game rushing record with 382 yards. Considering the great running backs that have worn the Trojan uniform, that is a record that truly stands out......and to think he is only a junior.

GO TROJANS!!

Beergogglebluez
SE

Great post Trojandave. Great win for the kids. Parker is a beast. 382 and broke the school record. And Portsmouth has had a lot of great backs. If my math is close Parker needs about 350-70 to break 2000. And fairland has no run defense so it could be a good possibility. He is carrying the load and he looked exhausted last night. You can never question the heart on him. Without him we would be struggling. The defense in the other hand needs a lot of work. Friday fairland comes to town and lambiotte throws for 300-400 yards a game so we need to have a pass defense. We haven’t been tested in the air so I don’t know how our kids will play. We HAVE to win out to get a 8 seed. 2 of the next 3 games will be tough. It will be a shootout Friday and I wouldn’t be surprised if it 50-50 or higher. It will come down to who makes a mistake and I hope it’s not us. Special teams needs work too. I’m proud of the kids. Everyone of them from the starters to the freshmen. We didn’t move in our region. Still at 12. Great victory and we got the turnovers when we needed them.

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Portsmouth 55 Chesapeake 39

Post by mattash »

Portsmouth 55 Chesapeake 39

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott

Return to “Football”