Waverly 35 West 19

smurray
SEOP

Waverly 35 West 19

Post by smurray » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:45 am

May as well get this one started.
West at 6-1 and #2 in region 20 invades the jungle to take on the 6-1 Tigers, #5 in region 16.
Don’t think it’s any secret the Tigers need to stop the running attack of the Senators and will have to be able to pass the ball very well as the Senators run defense is top notch.
Tigers need to put last night behind them and FOCUS on West.

Kicker.
JV Team

Re: Week 8 West (6-1) at Waverly (6-1)

Post by Kicker. » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:27 am

If Waverly can stop the run I believe they win this, along with tackling which was basically the reason they lost last season to west

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process

Omega
S

Post by Omega » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:29 am

I hope Waverly came out of the Burg game with no new injuries and that during this week's practice they can overcome the shell shock of the 49-0 loss.

As to the Senators, they will dominate the line of scrimmage and use a punishing ground game to dominate the clock and the Tigers, 36-14.

Still, Waverly has a shot at limping into the playoffs if they can win two out of their last three games. Even if they 6-4, they will have exceeded my expectations for the season.

Get Off of My Lawn -- and Yes It is Too Loud !!!!

metwct44
Riding the Bench

Post by metwct44 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:43 am

Hoping for a strong showing from Waverly. But i think Hurd and the West stout defense will prevail.
West 35-14

Doyle Hargraves
Waterboy

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:29 am

The West Side takes this one......

The law's on my side!

greygoose
S

Post by greygoose » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:50 pm

Kicker. wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:27 am
If Waverly can stop the run I believe they win this, along with tackling which was basically the reason they lost last season to west
At this point in the season you kind of are who you are, and I don't think Waverly is going to fix their run stopping problems in a week. I believe West will control the LOS and pull this one off by 3 scors, 35-14.

Beergogglebluez
JV Team

Post by Beergogglebluez » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:54 pm

Is waverly still banged up? I think west takes it either way.

LOMBARDI9.9
Waterboy

Post by LOMBARDI9.9 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:48 pm

West wins

Ironman92
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Ironman92 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:50 pm

If Waverly banged up it’s hard to imagine them winning. PWest is really solid. Could be a 20-14 type game.

Burgfan/grad85
Freshman Team

Post by Burgfan/grad85 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:27 pm

I believe that. Waverly will throw the ball with success against West. The question is can Waverly stop West running game or just slow it down ? If they can I think Waverly wins by 2 scores

FANOSPORTS
SEOP

Post by FANOSPORTS » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:36 am

Waverly has to get the ball to score. West will eat clock and rumble, stumble, bumble to a 21 point win.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"

SiderBlood
Riding the Bench

Post by SiderBlood » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:20 am

Burgfan/grad85 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:27 pm
I believe that. Waverly will throw the ball with success against West. The question is can Waverly stop West running game or just slow it down ? If they can I think Waverly wins by 2 scores
I’m not familiar with the waverly team a whole lot. If they still have injured starters I don’t see it being close. As in within 3 touchdowns . We aren’t prolific on the pass defense but it’s enough to stay in . And west will drive , drive, pound and play physical ball. I can’t see them keeping up for 4 quarters .

Proud_Pirate63
All Conference

Post by Proud_Pirate63 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:13 am

West wins this one.

Kicker.
JV Team

Post by Kicker. » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:41 am

greygoose wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:50 pm
Kicker. wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:27 am
At this point in the season you kind of are who you are, and I don't think Waverly is going to fix their run stopping problems in a week. I believe West will control the LOS and pull this one off by 3 scors, 35-14.
That is true however I think Waverly will make it more of a game than many think. They have good enough athletes to score at will it's just how much time West will give them

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process

packers80
Freshman Team

Post by packers80 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:55 pm

West in this one but closer than what people think. Waverly isn't as bad as they showed Friday nite, burg is just a different animal. West is one dimensional, which will hurt them week 10 when they play burg for the soc title. Burg in that one and it'll be by more than 2 tds.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast

VetteMan
All State

Post by VetteMan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:48 pm

I agree with the post before saying to try to put this past weekend in the past. The Tigers have been playing with a lot of confidence all year, I hope that they are able to regain it again. They will need to be able to have some success early on against a very good defense. Lets hope for an injury free game for both teams.

greygoose
S

Post by greygoose » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:23 pm

Well anytime you turn it over 4-5 times in a game like Waverly did you're probably going to lose, do that to a team like Burg and you lose big. If Waverly can get a stop or 2 I can see this being closer because honestly I don't think West has the players to keep up with Waverly's skilled guys. My big hang up is just how much time of possession is going to favor West and how many times will Waverly actually get the ball.

RACELAND
Waterboy

Post by RACELAND » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:43 pm

I’ll take West in this one. Very physical team. Good on defense. If you can’t stop the running game you will never see the ball.

packers80
Freshman Team

Post by packers80 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:53 pm

Good point

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast

Burgfan/grad85
Freshman Team

Post by Burgfan/grad85 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:55 pm

greygoose wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:23 pm
Well anytime you turn it over 4-5 times in a game like Waverly did you're probably going to lose, do that to a team like Burg and you lose big. If Waverly can get a stop or 2 I can see this being closer because honestly I don't think West has the players to keep up with Waverly's skilled guys. My big hang up is just how much time of possession is going to favor West and how many times will Waverly actually get the ball.
Very good statement. Waverlys turnovers caused the blowout same thing happened to Burg in week 2 against Hartley. When you turn the ball over great teams capitalize on those turnovers.

smurray
SEOP

Post by smurray » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:52 pm

RACELAND wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:43 pm
I’ll take West in this one. Very physical team. Good on defense. If you can’t stop the running game you will never see the ball.
I may be missing something but don’t the teams rotate possessions after each score? This is not the first person that has said Waverly wont see the ball. West may have the ball longer because of time consuming drives but each team should have the same amount of possessions, +1 or -1.... its what the Tigers do with their possessions....

greygoose
S

Post by greygoose » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:17 pm

smurray wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:52 pm
RACELAND wrote:
I may be missing something but don’t the teams rotate possessions after each score? This is not the first person that has said Waverly wont see the ball. West may have the ball longer because of time consuming drives but each team should have the same amount of possessions, +1 or -1.... its what the Tigers do with their possessions....
This is very true, problem is the overall time of possession. You can't say that it isn't a factor otherwise more teams would be winning despite the lack of time of possession. My thing is if Waverly can't stop the run and West goes down and scores using up 5-6 min. drive any lineman for waverly is then a bit more wore out. Because you get less possessions it puts more pressure on a team to answer, Waverly's predictability on offense makes this point even bigger because now you're low on possessions and west knows you run all of 5 plays I don't care what version it comes in. Waverly has superior athletes on the outside but how often does waverly use motion?? Does Waverly utilize the rollout and rub routes to get Wrs open?? When you pass 1 of 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad with an incompletion or interception. I get what you're saying 1-1 but we've seen this play out in the past where Waverly has had superior teams really but struggled against the run and West pulls out the win by 1 score simply because they shorten the game up. If I'm Waverly I'm playing man to man across the board within 3 yards on the WR because west isn't going to beat you passing. So I'm loading up the box and even bringing my safety down into it if they're going to run it then they'll need to block 8-9 guys, sorry but with Waverly's struggles need to mix it up do that a bit then play some regular defense when you get the feeling something is going outside or a throw. You have to take something away from every team you play and make them 1-dimensional. While it's easy saying 1-1 possession truth is there's less chances the running team is taking over the predictable throwing team. Honestly I've said it already if Waverly can get couple stops in this game I really believe they'll pull this one out just because I honestly don't think West is anywhere close to waverly in terms of overall team speed and they can't guard Wolfe.

smurray
SEOP

Post by smurray » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:27 pm

greygoose wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:17 pm
smurray wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:52 pm
RACELAND wrote:
This is very true, problem is the overall time of possession. You can't say that it isn't a factor otherwise more teams would be winning despite the lack of time of possession. My thing is if Waverly can't stop the run and West goes down and scores using up 5-6 min. drive any lineman for waverly is then a bit more wore out. Because you get less possessions it puts more pressure on a team to answer, Waverly's predictability on offense makes this point even bigger because now you're low on possessions and west knows you run all of 5 plays I don't care what version it comes in. Waverly has superior athletes on the outside but how often does waverly use motion?? Does Waverly utilize the rollout and rub routes to get Wrs open?? When you pass 1 of 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad with an incompletion or interception. I get what you're saying 1-1 but we've seen this play out in the past where Waverly has had superior teams really but struggled against the run and West pulls out the win by 1 score simply because they shorten the game up. If I'm Waverly I'm playing man to man across the board within 3 yards on the WR because west isn't going to beat you passing. So I'm loading up the box and even bringing my safety down into it if they're going to run it then they'll need to block 8-9 guys, sorry but with Waverly's struggles need to mix it up do that a bit then play some regular defense when you get the feeling something is going outside or a throw. You have to take something away from every team you play and make them 1-dimensional. While it's easy saying 1-1 possession truth is there's less chances the running team is taking over the predictable throwing team. Honestly I've said it already if Waverly can get couple stops in this game I really believe they'll pull this one out just because I honestly don't think West is anywhere close to waverly in terms of overall team speed and they can't guard Wolfe.
I totally agree with everything you just said, I was just commenting on people saying Waverly wont see the ball when in fact they will “see it” as many times as West. Yes, time of possession matters - that’s why Waverly has to make stops and make good on their possessions.

Westfan
SEO

Post by Westfan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:44 pm

Waverly always has good athletes and probably have the speed advantage, but West isn't slow by any means. No burners, but team speed is decent.

West can pass the ball. Definitely not the strength, but they will hit a couple.

MasterOfNone
Freshman Team

Post by MasterOfNone » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:32 pm

I will be curious to see how the Tigers respond after Friday. The burg game was ugly. They rely on a lot of younger guys so hopefully they don't hang their heads after that loss. Everything that could have went wrong for the Tigers against burg did. I honestly don't think they could have played any worse, they are much better than how they played last Friday IMO. But a good bit of that credit goes to burg, they are a really good team and showed up to play. I think if Shoemaker doesn't fumble it on the first play, the game goes a little differently. Still don't think the Tigers would have won, but it wouldn't have been such a beating.

But it's time to turn the page and look forward to Week 8. I think this game could go either way. If I am West I am pounding the ball all night long. Waverly has shown no real answer for the run game all year. They do make adjustments throughout the game tho, such as bringing Snodgrass in to help on D against Valley and they started playing 4 D-Lineman in the second half against burg. If West wants to win, that's how they will do it. If I'm Waverly, I would load that box up with 8 or 9 and dare them to throw it. The Tigers have very good DBs, and I would trust them one on one with whoever West puts out there. Idk if what I was looking at was accurate, but one of the box scores I saw for the West/Minford game was that West only had 1 yard passing? If so, that's something you don't see much anymore lol. But Waverly has the ability to score in bunches and in a hurry. They have a ton of speed in all positions and can beat you in many different ways. I see this one being a close, high scoring affair. On a side note, how is West's special teams? That could be a factor as well. Waverly has been very good in that aspect of the game all year. Shoemaker has the ability to take the distance every time he is given an opportunity to return a kick. Just something to keep an eye on.