Gallia Academy 36 Ironton 33

eagle one
Freshman Team

Re: Gallia Academy 36 Ironton 33

Post by eagle one »

turnovers make good teams out of great teams......... the story of ironton's year......

Riding the Bench

Post by 645945 »

Well that was a great game at tank stadium last night. First two quarters felt like old times. The tigers romping and stomping. Then something changed. Gallipolis hitched a ride on big mo for most of the second half. Great catch to win the game at the end. The tigers played for keeps last night hope the can make some noise in the playoffs they are a very good team. Of course before the playoffs you have Portsmouth who has a playoff hope also if they can beat Ironton. What can be more awesome than that.

It was a great environment last night also thank you Ironton for being the great football town you are. I think this game will be like this for many years at least I hope it will be, this is what Friday nights are all about. What a game!!!

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Re: WK #9 GALLIPOLIS (7-1) @ IRONTON (6-2)

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

eagle one wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:31 am
ITSYABOY72 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:47 pm In 9 weeks ironton has failed to defeat an in state team with an above .500 record and have only beaten one team with a winning record overall. ( Russell)
fairland and chesapeake both have winning records in state russell makes 3 winning record teams. yer posting fake news!
Ironton best Russell 6-3
FairLand 5-4
Chesapeake. 5-4
South point. 0-9
Rock hill. 2-7
Coal grove. 4-5

Portsmouth is left 6-3. Whomever wins, qualifies in their region. A ton at stake!

It’s at Portsmouth and will be a hard task for Ironton, who is young and banged up.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

what a great effort by both teams. the senior laden blue devils pulled it out right at the end over the young fighting tigers. very exciting. ironton again made 2 many mistakes against a 1 loss d4 team and fell short at the end. congratulations to the blue devils on their ovc conference championship. things have certainly turned around with coach penrod at the helm, it's great for the league and the southern part of the state. ironton is experiencing growing pains, making 2 many mistakes and are very young. but hey they are 6-3, ranked 4 in d5 region 19. and are in position to return back to the playoffs, i'll take that anyday. and the valuable playing time these young men are getting is going to really pay future dividends. I predicted ironton would win 35-21. if they cleaned up the turnovers and penalties. I had confidence we could beat a very solid blue devil team. nothing to hang their heads about. they are definitely headed in the right direction. and they'll again need to clean things up as we finish up the regular season against longtime rival Portsmouth who is also sitting at 6-3 and fighting for their playoff lives as they are standing at 10 in region 20. so this should be a dandy of a game in Trojan land next week. again congratulations to the 2018 ovc champion gahs blue devils. and good luck moving forward. and congratulations to coach Pendleton and his staff for having the fighting tigers at 4 in their region currently, and a 6-3 record heading into week 10 after a very exciting game against the d4 blue devils. things are certainly looking up.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

To the poster that asked first touchdown was by Boo Pullins, last touchdown by Corey call.

To the poster that asked. Blue devils last scoring play was a formation where we went jumbo. We have ran out of that formation every time we have ran it all year and probably 90% of time was a hand off to Campbell.

This time they ran a flee flicker the blue devils only sent one receiver out in the pattern call. There was a huge amount of contact on the route by both players. It looked to me like call was boxing out like he does in basketball.

I have no idea what the actual catch looked like as in between me and that corner the Gallia student section impaired my view.

But the conversation between the officials was the official in corner of endzone couldn’t see catch he was blocked by the receiver. So he was asking guy in back of end zone to make a call and that guy was yelling back your call I didn’t see anything. So know ref saw the catch was the problem. But no one not even the ironton player was protesting.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I thought this game really came down to coaching. On the field both teams made similar amount of mistakes. In the first half ironton used a great game plan against what had become a really undisciplined Gallia defense. In the first half the blue devils on defense kept making the same 2 mistakes. In the passing game the blue devils all rushed at the QB with no lane contain and no back side contain. Every pass or run play to the back side was a huge game and when QB broke the pocket no contain. In the run game all the blue devils were trying to make tackles and not play there roles the outside defender was not setting a corner or stringing out the play they were trying to make a tackle.

That pretty well accounts for most of ironton first half offense. In the second half the blue devils had only one undisciplined rush of QB and the defender on the receiver broke off his coverage and left the ironton receiver wide open. And lead to ironton early touchdown besides that they played coverage and rushed disciplined in there lanes no where for QB to run too. On the defense on the wide play they strung out the plays all the way to sideline. This stopped all the big plays.

What I didn’t understand was all night long when ironton lined up and ran ball right at Gallia even when they had 9 in box. The blue devils were unable to stop it. The blue devils had zero tackles for loses in run game. Ironton ran into trouble in second half anytime they left power football. Either by trying a sweep play or pass play or even like a draw. The ironton runners do a great job of running down hill and the blue devils could not stop them from picking up 2 to 3 yards every play in base offense. I thought Pendleton should of stayed straight power football against them I am glad they didn’t. But the blue devils did not stop it all night.

BlueLion4Life
Freshman Team

Post by BlueLion4Life »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:13 am what a great effort by both teams. the senior laden blue devils pulled it out right at the end over the young fighting tigers. very exciting. ironton again made 2 many mistakes against a 1 loss d4 team and fell short at the end. congratulations to the blue devils on their ovc conference championship. things have certainly turned around with coach penrod at the helm, it's great for the league and the southern part of the state. ironton is experiencing growing pains, making 2 many mistakes and are very young. but hey they are 6-3, ranked 4 in d5 region 19. and are in position to return back to the playoffs, i'll take that anyday. and the valuable playing time these young men are getting is going to really pay future dividends. I predicted ironton would win 35-21. if they cleaned up the turnovers and penalties. I had confidence we could beat a very solid blue devil team. nothing to hang their heads about. they are definitely headed in the right direction. and they'll again need to clean things up as we finish up the regular season against longtime rival Portsmouth who is also sitting at 6-3 and fighting for their playoff lives as they are standing at 10 in region 20. so this should be a dandy of a game in Trojan land next week. again congratulations to the 2018 ovc champion gahs blue devils. and good luck moving forward. and congratulations to coach Pendleton and his staff for having the fighting tigers at 4 in their region currently, and a 6-3 record heading into week 10 after a very exciting game against the d4 blue devils. things are certainly looking up.
I was looking at the numbers. Ironton could lose week 10 and still make the play-offs. The only team outside the top 8 that could catch them even with a loss would be Columbus Academy. and they play a tough Grandview Heights team Week 10.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

svac83 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:24 am To the poster that asked first touchdown was by Boo Pullins, last touchdown by Corey call.

To the poster that asked. Blue devils last scoring play was a formation where we went jumbo. We have ran out of that formation every time we have ran it all year and probably 90% of time was a hand off to Campbell.

This time they ran a flee flicker the blue devils only sent one receiver out in the pattern call. There was a huge amount of contact on the route by both players. It looked to me like call was boxing out like he does in basketball.

I have no idea what the actual catch looked like as in between me and that corner the Gallia student section impaired my view.

But the conversation between the officials was the official in corner of endzone couldn’t see catch he was blocked by the receiver. So he was asking guy in back of end zone to make a call and that guy was yelling back your call I didn’t see anything. So know ref saw the catch was the problem. But no one not even the ironton player was protesting.
Thanks. I was able to get both for my article.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I was watching the refs and neither by their body language had no clue if it was a good catch or not.
I was always told you can't call what you can't see.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Gallia Academy Blue Devils on their OVC championship. Ironton has nothing to hang their heads about, they were 4-6 last year with no playoffs, but this year, under first year Coach Pendleton, have posted a very good 6-3 record and most likely will be playing in week 11. Perhaps more important to the Fighting Tigers football future is that Pendleton has infused a new enthusiasm in the program which will no doubt prove dividends in the near future.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

Let us not forget that 4-6 record last year was largely a result of key players being injured over a period of several weeks. Not making excuses, just stating the obvious. There is an attitude change at IHS and that was much needed. However, I have not seen any change in penalties, fumbles etc this year that plagued the team last year. Those things will cause you to lose regardless of your attitude.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Conditioning was a major change in Ironton. They had numerous injuries and this year have had very few. Pendleton seems to really focus on that and it shows. They push those kids to the limit. I have followed Ironton since the hire of the young coach. To explain it best he’s like a drill sergeant during practice. Very vocal and has a this is my team attitude. Don’t like it I don’t care. Portsmouth can beat Ironton Friday but it will be pretty hard. Those kids will not wear down or get tired. He have to beat them with great plays. Congrats to gallia they are a great team. We saw that in Portsmouth.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

Congrats to Gallia

buckeyenation
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeyenation »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:23 pm Conditioning was a major change in Ironton. They had numerous injuries and this year have had very few. Pendleton seems to really focus on that and it shows. They push those kids to the limit. I have followed Ironton since the hire of the young coach. To explain it best he’s like a drill sergeant during practice. Very vocal and has a this is my team attitude. Don’t like it I don’t care. Portsmouth can beat Ironton Friday but it will be pretty hard. Those kids will not wear down or get tired. He have to beat them with great plays. Congrats to gallia they are a great team. We saw that in Portsmouth.
I beg to differ. Watch the film, ironton was wore out 4th quarter

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

buckeyenation wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:37 am
Beergogglebluez wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:23 pm Conditioning was a major change in Ironton. They had numerous injuries and this year have had very few. Pendleton seems to really focus on that and it shows. They push those kids to the limit. I have followed Ironton since the hire of the young coach. To explain it best he’s like a drill sergeant during practice. Very vocal and has a this is my team attitude. Don’t like it I don’t care. Portsmouth can beat Ironton Friday but it will be pretty hard. Those kids will not wear down or get tired. He have to beat them with great plays. Congrats to gallia they are a great team. We saw that in Portsmouth.
I beg to differ. Watch the film, ironton was wore out 4th quarter
Ironton may have been worn out in the 4th quarter but they had more gas in the tank in 4th quarter then most of our opponents by far. But I think everyone was drain d in that 4th quarter

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

That game was a battle. Everyone was tired. 1 quarter out of the whole year still isn’t to bad.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
buckeyenation
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeyenation »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:46 am That game was a battle. Everyone was tired. 1 quarter out of the whole year still isn’t to bad.
Ironton is in no better shape then anyone they've played. Fact

Return to “Football”