Fisher v Rosecrans, R27

formerfcfan
SEOP

Fisher v Rosecrans, R27

Post by formerfcfan »

Going to be a very interesting game Friday night! Will come back to this later.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Fisher v Rosecrans, R27

Post by VetteMan »

formerfcfan wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:24 pm Going to be a very interesting game Friday night! Will come back to this later.
What is each teams records for the year?

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

formerfcfan wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:24 pm Going to be a very interesting game Friday night! Will come back to this later.
fcfan,

Can The Rosecrans win this game in your opinion?

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
MillSt
Riding the Bench

Post by MillSt »

I think FC is too strong for Rosecrans. By the looks of it FC must win to guarantee a playoff birth, if the lose they have a slight chance of being knocked out.
Is the FC RB playing this week? Wasn't he hurt?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

VetteMan wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:46 pm
What is each teams records for the year?
FC 5-3; Rosecrans 5-4
Ground Buck wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:56 pm
fcfan,

Can The Rosecrans win this game in your opinion?
I think that they could.But, I don’t think that they will.

Rosecrans is always a team that plays sound, hard and executes. They have made D7 playoffs the past two years. The problem, though, this year for Rosecrans is, while having a handful of good and servicable football players, the Bishops only have 14-15 players I’ve heard by now and they don’t have a gamebreaker athlete this year unlike recent years.

Rosecrans coach Mark Johnston was quoted in the Zanesville Times-Recorder following BR’s loss to Berne Union as special teams being a “weakness” for Rosecrans. Well, ironically, one team’s weakness (special teams) is another team’s prowess. FC runs an awful, mediocre offense with a defense that is Jekyll-and-Hyde. The Irish’s strength thus far, and really their shining light, has been special teams. They can return the ball darn well with a stable of players, they can block kicks and cash them in and they have a fairly decent placekicker. I think FC and BR will be a very, very tight game but I expect FC to have enough in the tank to beat an exhausted, bruised up Bishops squad in the end.
MillSt wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:39 pm I think FC is too strong for Rosecrans. By the looks of it FC must win to guarantee a playoff birth, if the lose they have a slight chance of being knocked out.
Is the FC RB playing this week? Wasn't he hurt?
I haven’t heard if he is playing this week or not. He missed last week against Prep, and FC could’ve certainly used him then. FC-HP saw Fisher squander a few golden opportunities, as well as a scoop-and-score in the backfield that *questionably* got whistled and blown as a “knee touched” (saying “questionably” as, when I looked at the film, I didn’t see what the ref saw when blowing it dead.) I do think the FC RB in question, if he plays, can make a difference. Unpopular opinion, but I think he may be a top level playmaker in Region 27.
Last edited by formerfcfan on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Wow! Rosecrans down to 14-15 players. About how many kids does Fisher have?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

VetteMan wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:35 pm Wow! Rosecrans down to 14-15 players. About how many kids does Fisher have?
I think Rosecrans started with 17. One or two injuries since, hard to tell the others? Six o’ one, half a dozen the other - less than 18 players is a tough row to hoe, especially when you have only, like, 50 boys in your entire school.

Fisher has 32, but only four freshmen. A handful of sophomores start or play 35+ minutes, too.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

That is really sad. Those poor kids don't even have enough kids to even practice properly. I remember now you telling me about some of these schools and there low numbers when we talked about 8-man football.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

VetteMan wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:10 pm That is really sad. Those poor kids don't even have enough kids to even practice properly. I remember now you telling me about some of these schools and there low numbers when we talked about 8-man football.
It is what it is. The FC team in 2015, which only had 17 healthy bodies, was in a similar predicament to the BR team this year. Part of the issue specific to BR is they’re a very small Catholic school, with declining enrollment and one of the state’s best soccer programs at the Division III level. A good football program at a school that size can possibly withstand the enrollment crush but soccer makes it 100x harder to do such.

MillSt
Riding the Bench

Post by MillSt »

Schools and their 2017 adjusted enrollment numbers (D7 is 113 boys or less), just smthg to look at.

Harvest Preparatory 109
Lucas 78
Trimble 97
Waterford 80
Green 80
Berne Union 113
Fisher Catholic 67
Caldwell 79
River 85
Southern 91
Danville 89
Bishop Rosecrans 65

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Good luck F.C.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Wake up; it’s gameday!

Tonight’s R27 tilt can be heard on WLOH radio. It can be heard via their channel on TuneIn Radio. J.R. and Rogers do a great job for all of the Lancaster and FC games.

Can FC break the game open early and hold firm? Whoever sets the tone first will control this one. Can FC’s line get it done?

“May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be always at your back.” GO Irish! It’s been 12 long years...

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Wow, wow, wow... wow! Gather ‘round, I have a tale to tell.

Pouring rain, cold, it was bummy weather for week 10. First ever rain game on Fulton Field’s new turf.

Rosecrans got on the board first on a long, sustained drive. 7-0 BR. The ensuing kickoff was a line drive that spotted up around the FC 20. #5 for FC scoops it up, shifts and jukes a few defenders and finds an open seam along the Rosecrans sideline around midfield. Gone. 7-7. Next FC drive, Starcher in for six. 14-7 FC .

Rosecrans punched in a score before half. On the PAT, Rosecrans lined up in the popular, oddball kicking formation (where the snapper is isolated) and threw a quick lob toward the back of the endzone. Ball reeled in by BR, but was he in bounds?! No one knew. Two stripes said no, one said yes. Initially ruled “no good”, the ensuing kickoff was delayed for about five minutes as the refs deliberated. They then rule “complete”. 15-14 BR at half.

BR scored again about at the 11 minute mark. 22–14, BR. FC got the ball around the 10:35 mark. Punted to BR with 7:30 left. Rosecrans gets stopped. FC, with ball at the 5:15 mark, engineers a long, exhilarating drive that featured a 3rd&20 turn into 4th&5. With the Irish season literally on the line, #5 takes the toss outside to the Irish sideline for about a nine yard gain. 3:40 and ticking... FC scores on an incredible Starcher run from 23 yards out. The Irish now need to go for two. Whose hands do you put the ball in? What you gonna call? Well, the play that got you the 4th down conversion to keep alive. And it worked. 22-22.

Rosecrans goes 3-n-out immediately. McColley fields the punt on his 39, and takes it to about midfield. 1:20 left, FC just marches down. Within the BR 10, FC kicks a 25 yarder on second down with :17 seconds left. 25-22 FC. FC played deep, and the Bishops attempt a double reverse pass that came down about the FC 43 but which fell incomplete. BR had no timeouts, so that ended up being beneficial given a that two seconds remained. BR hook-n-ladder fails. Irish win.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Sounds like one heck of a ballgame. Wow, what a finish! Was FC out of timeouts, is that why they kicked the field goal on 2nd down?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

VetteMan wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:51 am Sounds like one heck of a ballgame. Wow, what a finish! Was FC out of timeouts, is that why they kicked the field goal on 2nd down?
If I recall correctly...

They called the final one when the clock was stopped. Not sure that was called realizing it was the last one - for some reason, neither down and distance nor timeout count was turned on or being updated, oddly enough.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

You said yesterday that FC had a 5-3 record. Will 6-3 get them into the playoffs? Did they only have 9 games scheduled, or did someone cancel?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

VetteMan wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:01 am You said yesterday that FC had a 5-3 record. Will 6-3 get them into the playoffs? Did they only have 9 games scheduled, or did someone cancel?
6-3 is 100% in for Fisher. They’re going east on 37, south on 13 and be the sacrificial lamb necessary for the inaugural home playoff game for the Tomcats. Confirmed as the #6 seed, and will be a (Mohawk) Mafia hit in front of all Athens County. But, hey; this is a team that is elated to be even in week 11. To this group of men, the opportunity to play one more game together - when they’ve had every reason to believe that playoffs would never come around to them, especially in recent years - to make it playoff appearance #9, and to represent their friends, families, teachers and alumni is an opportunity they are beyond appreciative and grateful for.
VetteMan wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:01 am Did they only have 9 games scheduled, or did someone cancel?
They originally were scheduled with Reigning Thunder Sports, a club team out of Columbus, as a last-available replacement for a week 3 plan to play out-of-state failed. In the week of that game, the FC coaching staff was alerted by the coaching staff of previous opponents for RTS that the team was using players aged 20 and above (including a 23 year old.) The FC administration immediately cancelled the game, citing player safety concerns. Ridgedale also cancelled their game with them because of such.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Congrats on making the Playoffs. Its probably every kids dream to be able one day to say they made the Playoffs. Mayby out of 115/120, Div-7 schools, to be able to be one of 32 schools to make the playoffs, is still something to be proud of.

Return to “Football”