Where does Logan go from here?

Logangrad
All State

Re: Where does Logan go from here?

Post by Logangrad »

The Only goal Logan would have now as a program would be to make the playoffs. Unless they set an expectation of a number of wins each season to try to hit.
Only way to make the playoffs in this day and age is the play solid football programs who can guarantee you great secondary points if you beat them. But here’s the catch you may lose when you play those teams. I don’t know what the ultimate goal is but when you are a county school being the only school in said county it makes it very difficult to play up when clearly you don’t have the same talent level as a majority of the Central District schools in the same division. There is absolutely nothing that can’t be done at this point. There are no schools who are looking to form a new league anymore and I hate it for the community and the kids that try to compete for Logan because really all you are doing is getting yourself ready for the postseason.

Live Like A Champion!
hannancoach
JV Team

Post by hannancoach »

Paladin wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:30 pm Because , you thick headed idiot, they didn’t want to add Logan. Were you always this stupid in Poland ?
Takes one to know one. You are a urine deficient excuse for a human being. See if you can figure that out genius

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Logangrad wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:44 pm Just thought I’d chime in for one comment made previously about firing the whole staff.

So let’s say they fire everyone. I’d say 98% of the staff is in fact a teacher. So they bring in a new coach and he will obviously need a staff. So what are the expectations then? Do they fire teachers so they can make room for a new coaching staff who obviously will need to be teachers? Most coaches in this day and age do in fact have some sort of teaching job and I’m sure Logan is not going to fire 10 or 12 coaches they were teachers to make room for an entirely new staff who would also need to be employed as a teacher. Regardless if they fire the head coach or not the same guys who are on the current staff a majority of them would probably be right back on a new staff for the simple fact that it’s not just that easy to fire assistant coaches who are teachers.
Ding Ding Ding.

The staff isn't really going anywhere. If Burke decided to leave - I don't believe the school will force him out - then any new coach would have a very similar staff.

Also - these guys are good coaches. Pat Walsh and Jim Huntsberger didn't forget how to coach when Dale Amyx left. These guys have been successful at every job they've had at LHS.

Josh Sturgell and Justin Pack are young, hungry guys. They played in the hayday. Kids like them. Sturge is doing a great job with the track program. Last year was Pack's first with the Varsity. The team got better as the year went on and he did a great job with the Frosh and JV teams.

hannancoach
JV Team

Post by hannancoach »

^^^

In other words, despite Paladins incessant lobbying for the job, these guys are good coaches and should be left alone.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

I just posted this on the old Waverly thread, It's more fitting to this thread.
In all honesty the staff can stay. Its a failure to produce issue. That is a refection of leadership. The staff just carries out the marching orders. In my professional world, if your not producing, Your Gone, Period! Your a bad asset to the company thats not making money.
In addition LL is right, Pat and Jim, are outstanding coaches! They are local, they have came up through the ranks in Logan and probably have more years coaching then Billy. On top of which they were part of those winning years. Pack and Josh are young and very savvy and eager to win. Josh is proving himself with the continuation of the dominates of the track program, which has been a constant shinning light of success since Fraun and Robinson established it in the mid 80's. Pack I've heard nothing but great things about him from players. Little Hunts and Thrapp both played in those winning years of Perry and Amex and have been around the program for years now. Woody, the only thing I know about him is he came from Lancaster. I'd would like to see the Breining brothers back on the sidelines. When Logan had those solid years in the late 90's through the 2000's those two and Herman coached the younger classes. They were laying the foundation for the success over those years.
Last edited by 1987chieftains on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

AT THE RESERVATION
moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

hannancoach wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:23 am ^^^

In other words, despite Paladins incessant lobbying for the job, these guys are good coaches and should be left alone.
You should know! Hannan Losing Coach and program. The new coach should be able to scuffle the staff and bring in some current teachers with football coaching experience! :mrgreen:

hannancoach
JV Team

Post by hannancoach »

moonshine wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:46 am
hannancoach wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:23 am ^^^

You should know! Hannan Losing Coach and program. The new coach should be able to scuffle the staff and bring in some current teachers with football coaching experience! :mrgreen:
Thanks for sharing and you are right. Logan and Hannan have a lot in common. Roughly same number of kids per acre. Lack of success in general. But, we both have pretty good records against Athens lol.

PerfectionInPurple
Riding the Bench

Post by PerfectionInPurple »

Having the right number of kids per acre is a key ingredient to beating Athens on a regular basis.

LOVE LIKE A CHAMP!
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

PerfectionInPurple wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:21 am Having the right number of kids per acre is a key ingredient to beating Athens on a regular basis.
Straight from the states web site.
http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Data/F ... lment-Data

Here are the enrollment numbers from 2017. Grades 9 through 12.

Logan/Hocking a 1 county school district 1148 high students.

Athens 5 high schools districts in 1 county. Grades 9 through 12.
Athens HS 763
Nelsonville HS 332
Alexander HS 421
Fed Hock HS 263
Trimble HS 212
For a grand total of 1991 high school students in Athens county. So, yes there is truth to the"kids per acre" and a huge deception in a high schools real size.

Washington county 6 high schools in 1 county. Grades 9 through 12.
Belpre HS 250
Marietta HS 791
Fort Frye HS 200
Frontier HS 161
Warren HS 608
Wolf Creek HS 188
For a grand total of 2198 high school students in Washington county.

The real concern for these counties with multiple high schools in the 1 county is when the state starts saying, "Its costing too much to keep all of these school districts that are only a few miles apart open. Your going to have to consolidate your school districts". New buildings or not. Its cheaper to let it fall down or sell it off then maintain it. Then schools will go from being the small fish in a small pond to the big fish in the small pond in the middle of no where. Then they will be in a really sore spot. BC they will have a really hard time competing with the schools in the large metro areas like Logan has had to do for years. So they can poke and make fun of Logan all they want. Consolidation maybe coming to some in the future.

AT THE RESERVATION
Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

1987chieftains wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:15 pm
PerfectionInPurple wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:21 am Having the right number of kids per acre is a key ingredient to beating Athens on a regular basis.
Straight from the states web site.
http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Data/F ... lment-Data

Here are the enrollment numbers from 2017. Grades 9 through 12.

Logan/Hocking a 1 county school district 1148 high students.

Athens 5 high schools districts in 1 county. Grades 9 through 12.
Athens HS 763
Nelsonville HS 332
Alexander HS 421
Fed Hock HS 263
Trimble HS 212
For a grand total of 1991 high school students in Athens county. So, yes there is truth to the"kids per acre" and a huge deception in a high schools real size.

Washington county 6 high schools in 1 county. Grades 9 through 12.
Belpre HS 250
Marietta HS 791
Fort Frye HS 200
Frontier HS 161
Warren HS 608
Wolf Creek HS 188
For a grand total of 2198 high school students in Washington county.

The real concern for these counties with multiple high schools in the 1 county is when the state starts saying, "Its costing too much to keep all of these school districts that are only a few miles apart open. Your going to have to consolidate your school districts". New buildings or not. Its cheaper to let it fall down or sell it off then maintain it. Then schools will go from being the small fish in a small pond to the big fish in the small pond in the middle of no where. Then they will be in a really sore spot. BC they will have a really hard time competing with the schools in the large metro areas like Logan has had to do for years. So they can poke and make fun of Logan all they want. Consolidation maybe coming to some in the future.
Well that would solve the big school issue . That would put the above " COUNTY SCHOOLS having to compete with the likes of some of the big schools that have an enrollment of 1500 plus . Maybe that is why OHSAA does not want to tackle the inbalance . Interesting concept .

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Or split Hocking, Vinton and Morgan school districts in two. That might help reflect the schools actual competitive size. Those are the only 1 county school districts in the state. This might be a easier path for the OHSAA in some balancing.

AT THE RESERVATION
23tdb
Riding the Bench

Post by 23tdb »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:02 pm
NY BUCK wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:59 pm May be too early to ask but does Logan’s schedule look about the same for next year?
@ Tri-Valley
vs. Teays Valley
@ Jackson
vs. Sheridan
@ Chillicothe
@ Athens
vs. Zanesville
vs. Meigs
@ Maysville
vs. Hamilton Township
very tough schedule

Barber1973
Freshman Team

Post by Barber1973 »

Oh boy i c maybe. 1 W

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Yep, 1 maybe 2 but no more then that. Another losing season unless some direction is changed.

AT THE RESERVATION
Trimble Juvenile
Varsity

Post by Trimble Juvenile »

Logan should join the TVC. I've heard Fort Frye is coming in and may bring Warren with them. So, why not have Logan join them?

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

23tdb wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:58 pm
Chieftain2009 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:02 pm
NY BUCK wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:59 pm May be too early to ask but does Logan’s schedule look about the same for next year?
@ Tri-Valley
vs. Teays Valley
@ Jackson
vs. Sheridan
@ Chillicothe
@ Athens
vs. Zanesville
vs. Meigs
@ Maysville
vs. Hamilton Township
very tough schedule
First half is loaded but I see improvement and a 3-7 record next year (Meigs, HT and the Bullpuppies) :D

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Trimble Juvenile wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:43 pm Logan should join the TVC. I've heard Fort Frye is coming in and may bring Warren with them. So, why not have Logan join them?
I don't think the TVC wants Logan. They have already shot themselves in the foot with letting Athens in. Plus I don't think Logan really wants to go south for the long term.

AT THE RESERVATION
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

1987chieftains wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:14 pm
Trimble Juvenile wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:43 pm Logan should join the TVC. I've heard Fort Frye is coming in and may bring Warren with them. So, why not have Logan join them?
I don't think the TVC wants Logan. They have already shot themselves in the foot with letting Athens in. Plus I don't think Logan really wants to go south for the long term.
Logan won't ever get in unless a large expansion is ever in the works and I don't see that happening.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Athens would never vote in a Logan, Jackson, Gallipolis, Marietta etc. because it would be a whole reincarnation of their old league and the way it would be re-tiered they would have the larger schools in the same division which is what they ran from before - COMPETITION- all though they don't mind beating up on old smaller SEOAL foes Meigs , Wellston and Nelsonville and winning the TVC all sports trophy yearly now. :o

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:35 pm
Athens would never vote in a Logan, Jackson, Gallipolis, Marietta etc. because it would be a whole reincarnation of their old league and the way it would be re-tiered they would have the larger schools in the same division which is what they ran from before - COMPETITION- all though they don't mind beating up on old smaller SEOAL foes Meigs , Wellston and Nelsonville and winning the TVC all sports trophy yearly now. :o
Athens voted for Jackson both times they applied.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!

Return to “Football”