Granville 38 Jackson 7 Round 1 Region 11 2018

jmarcum23
Waterboy

Re: Region 11 #7 Jackson @ #2 Granville

Post by jmarcum23 »

teach1coach2 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:09 pm Cheeseburger,
I'm a Tri-Valley guy and can assure you that no Buttermore coached team is going to tap out. I watched Bo Buttermore play for Tri-Valley varsity his freshmen and sophomore seasons and he is one of the smartest football players you will see and hits like a linebacker. Granville beat Johnstown and I have trouble believing you are going to be more physical than them. Granville will be motivated to get the school's first playoff win and they got it moved to turf to take advantage of their speed.

It's week 11 and hard to compare teams who have played different opponents, but I have a hard time seeing anyone quitting in the 4th quarter no matter the score. Those teams don't usually see week 11.
I don't know what Jackson has so I can't say for sure how we will match up, but I'm with the Tri-Valley guy, I have a hard time seeing this team tapping out. They played in a very cold low 40's pouring rain last week, and coach Buttermore had shorts on and maybe a couple of players had long sleeves on. This speaks to the mentality that he brought to this team. As far as "Little Buttermore" he is about my size 5'8" 160, and like me when i was his age, he plays much bigger than his size. Not only that, he is a very smart football player and appears to always be in the right position and leverage in coverage, and provides great run support from the safety position. I hope it does come down to him, because i like him that much as a player. As far as you saying I think the RB coming back makes a difference, I didn't say that. He probably won't see much playing time, as the injury has hindered his conditioning and development this year. The Van Meter kid is simply playing better right now anyways. What I really like about this team is that we are not one dimensional on offense. Most teams with a QB like Crouch want to throw the ball all over the field (as we did last year), Buttermore has brought a more balanced approach and doesn't force things. He will run when the defense calls for it, and he will pass when the defense calls for it. I don't know how well your pass rush is, or how well your DCoord disguises coverage, but the coaching has seemed to adjust well when teams try to put pressure on Crouch. What I didn't mention, that he is a very good runner too. Doesn't have top speed, but enough to move the chains, and good a following his blockers. And if he is flushed out of the pocket, his arm strength and accuracy is just as good throwing against his body. I'm not saying that he is Johnny Unitas, but he is better than any QB that i've seen out of Pickerington North or Central if you are familiar with their programs (my nephew played there and i used to live there and follow their programs) and they tend to produce lots of talent. If any of you remember a kid named Chris Smith from South Point back around 2005 or so, think of him but mobile.
I only know Granville, I haven't seen the first highlight of Jackson, so it's premature for me to say Granville in a close game pulling away at the end. I only say that because I've seen what this coach and players are capable of, and what I think their mindset is. I don't personally know the coach or any of this group of players, I just know what i've seen watching them this year as a person myself who used to coach kids in football.

What i've seen is an offense that is capable of big plays and quick scoring drives with finesse plays, and an offense that is also capable of sustaining long drives and being physical when challenged. I've seen a defense that has let up very few big plays and makes the other team sustain drives if they are going to score. What I didn't mention is the Punter/Kicker. You will like his leg, he looks like your prototypical kicker....tall and lanky. He is a weapon in changing field position, and can also kick a FG if needed. He may be the actual difference in this game.

As far as being physical, as noted above, we out-physicaled a Johnstown-Monroe team that was the #1 team in Division V when we played them, and they are currently the #1 seed in their region and a side note, they are taking on Ironton this weekend in the playoffs. We also demolished a usually physical Licking Valley team on their home field a couple of weeks ago.

I hope your team is as good as you say they are, because as fans, we will have a very entertaining game to watch. I'm hoping my team wins, and as a good fan you will be cheering on your team. May the best team win, and keep winning in the playoffs, and may there be no serious injuries.......and for both of our sakes, let's hope the officials don't decide the game either way!

Safe Travels!

jmarcum23
Waterboy

Post by jmarcum23 »

It's hard to compare since we didn't play any of the same opponents, but I did look at some #s as comparison:

Jackson is 3-2 against teams with a winning record. In those games Jackson outscored their opponents 139-116. or an average score of 27-23
Granville is 4-1 against teams with a winning record. In those games Granville outscored their opponents 131-84 or an average score of 26-17.

So as a numbers guy, I would say the first team to 26 points should win this game. And we can expect a score somewhere in the range above.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

jmarcum23 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:03 am
teach1coach2 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:09 pm Cheeseburger,
I'm a Tri-Valley guy and can assure you that no Buttermore coached team is going to tap out. I watched Bo Buttermore play for Tri-Valley varsity his freshmen and sophomore seasons and he is one of the smartest football players you will see and hits like a linebacker. Granville beat Johnstown and I have trouble believing you are going to be more physical than them. Granville will be motivated to get the school's first playoff win and they got it moved to turf to take advantage of their speed.

It's week 11 and hard to compare teams who have played different opponents, but I have a hard time seeing anyone quitting in the 4th quarter no matter the score. Those teams don't usually see week 11.
I don't know what Jackson has so I can't say for sure how we will match up, but I'm with the Tri-Valley guy, I have a hard time seeing this team tapping out. They played in a very cold low 40's pouring rain last week, and coach Buttermore had shorts on and maybe a couple of players had long sleeves on. This speaks to the mentality that he brought to this team. As far as "Little Buttermore" he is about my size 5'8" 160, and like me when i was his age, he plays much bigger than his size. Not only that, he is a very smart football player and appears to always be in the right position and leverage in coverage, and provides great run support from the safety position. I hope it does come down to him, because i like him that much as a player. As far as you saying I think the RB coming back makes a difference, I didn't say that. He probably won't see much playing time, as the injury has hindered his conditioning and development this year. The Van Meter kid is simply playing better right now anyways. What I really like about this team is that we are not one dimensional on offense. Most teams with a QB like Crouch want to throw the ball all over the field (as we did last year), Buttermore has brought a more balanced approach and doesn't force things. He will run when the defense calls for it, and he will pass when the defense calls for it. I don't know how well your pass rush is, or how well your DCoord disguises coverage, but the coaching has seemed to adjust well when teams try to put pressure on Crouch. What I didn't mention, that he is a very good runner too. Doesn't have top speed, but enough to move the chains, and good a following his blockers. And if he is flushed out of the pocket, his arm strength and accuracy is just as good throwing against his body. I'm not saying that he is Johnny Unitas, but he is better than any QB that i've seen out of Pickerington North or Central if you are familiar with their programs (my nephew played there and i used to live there and follow their programs) and they tend to produce lots of talent. If any of you remember a kid named Chris Smith from South Point back around 2005 or so, think of him but mobile.
I only know Granville, I haven't seen the first highlight of Jackson, so it's premature for me to say Granville in a close game pulling away at the end. I only say that because I've seen what this coach and players are capable of, and what I think their mindset is. I don't personally know the coach or any of this group of players, I just know what i've seen watching them this year as a person myself who used to coach kids in football.

What i've seen is an offense that is capable of big plays and quick scoring drives with finesse plays, and an offense that is also capable of sustaining long drives and being physical when challenged. I've seen a defense that has let up very few big plays and makes the other team sustain drives if they are going to score. What I didn't mention is the Punter/Kicker. You will like his leg, he looks like your prototypical kicker....tall and lanky. He is a weapon in changing field position, and can also kick a FG if needed. He may be the actual difference in this game.

As far as being physical, as noted above, we out-physicaled a Johnstown-Monroe team that was the #1 team in Division V when we played them, and they are currently the #1 seed in their region and a side note, they are taking on Ironton this weekend in the playoffs. We also demolished a usually physical Licking Valley team on their home field a couple of weeks ago.

I hope your team is as good as you say they are, because as fans, we will have a very entertaining game to watch. I'm hoping my team wins, and as a good fan you will be cheering on your team. May the best team win, and keep winning in the playoffs, and may there be no serious injuries.......and for both of our sakes, let's hope the officials don't decide the game either way!

Safe Travels!
Very Good Post!

CheeseBurger
Riding the Bench

Post by CheeseBurger »

jmarcum23 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:21 am It's hard to compare since we didn't play any of the same opponents, but I did look at some #s as comparison:

Jackson is 3-2 against teams with a winning record. In those games Jackson outscored their opponents 139-116. or an average score of 27-23
Granville is 4-1 against teams with a winning record. In those games Granville outscored their opponents 131-84 or an average score of 26-17.

So as a numbers guy, I would say the first team to 26 points should win this game. And we can expect a score somewhere in the range above.
Should be a good game.
Last edited by CheeseBurger on Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Granville fans shouldn't take the posts on this website as an overall indicator of Jackson's attitude toward their team. Not sure why people can't just be respectful on here.

We are aware that the Blue Aces have a very good football team. The fact that they have not won a playoff game before has very little bearing on this year's game. Jackson will certainly have to play their best game of the season to win. Hopefully they do that, but it will definitely be tough.

jmarcum23
Waterboy

Post by jmarcum23 »

I totally get it irnonman02. I used to read Marshall Thundering Herd message boards, I can handle it. I see his post was deleted, but it wasn't out of line. I totally get he believes in his team emotionally. I said it's hard to compare since we haven't played the same opponent. What I did do was try to compare both of our teams against the better teams on their schedules. It's hard to figure a team out against the Miami Trace's and Lakewoods of the world, you can only hope to see how they play against better competition, which both of our teams will do tomorrow. He said that would get me a cup of coffee at McDonalds. That's okay, I like McDonalds coffee. I will also point out as you have ironman02 as well that we both know that past playoff records will also get one a cup of coffee. Different coaches, different players, etc. If anything I think it would motivate this group of players to leave a legacy and be the first team in school history to win a playoff game, and If i know a competitive coaches mindset, I'm sure Buttermore knew what he was walking into before he willingly left the successful program that he built at Tri-Valley. He knew he could make even a bigger name for himself and this team. I'm sure he had his reasons to leave a successful program that he built coming off of a State Championship game for a program that hadn't had much success. I think for those reasons for the coaches and players, that motivation will not be lacking tomorrow, yet another reason that I don't see them "tapping out". There are 4 parts to every football game. Offense, defense, special teams, and intangibles. It's hard to say how 15-17 year old kids will act when the playoff pressure is on them, but I will be shocked if Granville comes out looking unprepared for this game.

CheeseBurger
Riding the Bench

Post by CheeseBurger »

Region 11 You will grow to hate Catholics I would be rooting for Granville win or lose. It is a tall task in Region 11 only region where chances of winning improve outside region. 20 teams with winning records is insane.
Last edited by CheeseBurger on Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tiger85
Waterboy

Post by tiger85 »

LOL,,,We'll never be "haters" in Jackson. Truth be known, we are lovers !! We love good Football, We love good matchups, We love great competition and we Love to play in the post season !. This is a Great Matchup. Granville is #2 seed and should be. Jackson will need to play it's best game and 4quarters of it. Good luck to both teams ! Gonna be a dandy.

CheeseBurger
Riding the Bench

Post by CheeseBurger »

We all love a good game for sure and this one will be a dandy. The last thing the gentleman said that he wished the refs have no bearing and we all feel the same exact way! From what I see on tape I think Jackson’s Dline should be able to ruin crouch’s day. Look to run the 50 front and pour on the pressure. Seems like when we apply more pressure we are a better defense but with the return of a few guys we should get plenty of pressure with a 4 man rush because they are that much better.

jmarcum23
Waterboy

Post by jmarcum23 »

What is different from this years #7 seed Jackson, than the #7 Jackson team from last year that lost to the #2 seed Independence 32-7 in round 1?

Like i said, I know nothing about your team, but I do like numbers. According the the states rankings and points, there is a similarity between our ranking and points as last years Independence team. I know this game is all about matchups and strengths and weaknesses, but rankings and a point system are somewhat a way of quantifying things. I know how much different we are than last years #8 seed that lost to #1 seed Bellfountaine (who by the way lost their next game to Coach Buttermore). This years #2 seed Granville is indeed a better all around team than last years #8 seeded Granville. Much better defense, more balanced offense, a better kicking game, and better x and o in game adjustments. How does this years Jackson team compare to last years, what were the weaknesses last year that may be strengths this year?

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

This video gives you some insight on the type of coach Buttermore is. After week 9 he calculated that Jackson was the most likely opponent and he was already breaking down any films he could get his hands on. I know the man well. Never seen him beat by an equal or lesser opponent in his 14 years at Tri-Valley. If Jackson wins, it is because they are clearly the better team. Granville will be very prepared offensively and defensively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYzEWGIRg-s

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

teach1coach2 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:28 pm This video gives you some insight on the type of coach Buttermore is. After week 9 he calculated that Jackson was the most likely opponent and he was already breaking down any films he could get his hands on. I know the man well. Never seen him beat by an equal or lesser opponent in his 14 years at Tri-Valley. If Jackson wins, it is because they are clearly the better team. Granville will be very prepared offensively and defensively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYzEWGIRg-s
Parkay

Go Ironmen!

CheeseBurger
Riding the Bench

Post by CheeseBurger »

Parkay indeed
Ironmen = no weak links
healthy
Progressively better
Most athletic Ironmen ever
Coaching from daBurg
Fighters will not quit

CheeseBurger
Riding the Bench

Post by CheeseBurger »

Who am I kidding when cheeseburger cooks he’s cooking with butter baby!

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

need mistake free football tonight. Need to capitalize on opportunities and do all the little things right. Eliminate penalties, turnovers , missed tackles, missed opportunities and control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Physical from the time you get off the bus to the final gun sounds. and the Ironmen should be in this ballgame. Make SEO proud!!!!!!

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
jmarcum23
Waterboy

Post by jmarcum23 »

Ironman92. My wife made 4 dozen homemade chocolate chip cookies for your band (other band moms made more cookies for them as well). Make sure your kid gets one or two or three........i sampled some last night.....they're good. :)

Layer, layer, layer.........it's going to be 45 and possibly some rain.

It's gameday!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

jmarcum23 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:22 am Ironman92. My wife made 4 dozen homemade chocolate chip cookies for your band (other band moms made more cookies for them as well). Make sure your kid gets one or two or three........i sampled some last night.....they're good. :)

Layer, layer, layer.........it's going to be 45 and possibly some rain.

It's gameday!
Nice gesture. He will appreciate that.

IronmenLover1
Waterboy

Post by IronmenLover1 »

Personally, from what I’ve heard.... Granville’s D-Line is crazy good, small but quick off the ball- hit really hard.

Jacksonking1
Waterboy

Post by Jacksonking1 »

The things I have noticed for Granville: The game is solely centered around crouch and van meter, but don’t get me wrong there are some other major assets on the O such as Walsh and Tackett and their versatility. There are some other role players amongst this team, but they don’t seem to factor into the O nearly as much. Some say #1 is a threat, but he seems to be set up on the easiest plays for the O so he doesn’t seem to be a worry. The defense of Granville is very different this year. This is because they are under a new head coach (Justin Buttermore) his son Bo is a big leader for this defense and is a key asset to the success of the Granville D. The dominance and aggression of Jackson will take over the Granville’s defense. That is If the Granville D taps out like others have said, but I don’t see that happening under buttermore.

jmarcum23
Waterboy

Post by jmarcum23 »

Jacksonking1 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:49 pm The things I have noticed for Granville: The game is solely centered around crouch and van meter, but don’t get me wrong there are some other major assets on the O such as Walsh and Tackett and their versatility. There are some other role players amongst this team, but they don’t seem to factor into the O nearly as much. Some say #1 is a threat, but he seems to be set up on the easiest plays for the O so he doesn’t seem to be a worry. The defense of Granville is very different this year. This is because they are under a new head coach (Justin Buttermore) his son Bo is a big leader for this defense and is a key asset to the success of the Granville D. The dominance and aggression of Jackson will take over the Granville’s defense. That is If the Granville D taps out like others have said, but I don’t see that happening under buttermore.
Pretty accurate, other than I think #1 is can be a threat. Most teams have put their best/fastest DB on him, and he still gets behind the D, even when they know it's coming. He's not an every down threat, but he is capable of 2 big plays (usually a TD) a game if exectuted. Of course if you get pressure on Crouch, then the time and execution may negate him. You are correct that Crouch and Van Meter usually touch the ball most of the time. Shut them down and keep pressure on the line of scrimmage, then we may have a hard time scoring, as most teams will. I think early on, if we see line dominance from either team, it will be a telling sign. Granville has been good at putting teams in 3rd and long. If Jackson gets 6 yards on first down most of the first half, I will have major concerns. One other thing Granville has been exceptional at is creating turnovers and not turning it over much. As with any game, this game will hinge on that as well.

And remember, stay around for the band at the half. I a'm not saying they are exceptional because my son plays in it, but they really are. They put TONS of time in what they do, as a sports parent, I didn't realize how much time was put into the band. I have a new respect for them. The band compliments the football game very well.

I haven't been this excited for a game in quite a while! T-minus 5 hours!

Return to “Football”