State Youth Football Championships is this a good thing for 12U kids?

purpleblood1
JV Team

State Youth Football Championships is this a good thing for 12U kids?

Post by purpleblood1 »

I know this doesn't go here, but I thought it would be a good place for a conversation about over zealous parents. Fairland's A Football Team (12U) is going to a competition in Sandusky, OH. They play 3 games in two days. With the possibility of playing an additional game if you drop to the losers bracket. That is a lot of stress on a kid 12 and under. What's your thoughts?

eagles73Taylor
SE

Re: State Youth Football Championships is this a good thing for 12U kids?

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Why doesn’t anyone complain about youth baseball, soccer or basketball playing nearly year around by some kids with parents driving them all over the place spending thousands of dollars?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:00 am Why doesn’t anyone complain about youth baseball, soccer or basketball playing nearly year around by some kids with parents driving them all over the place spending thousands of dollars?
No-one complains because that's a parents choice to that for their kid, I've heard just as many parents turn down that opportunity because of finances and the time consuming schedule. Football is a much more violent sport not really crazy about seeing kids play that many games in that time, especially given the level of the teams they'll be playing.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

purpleblood1 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:34 am I know this doesn't go here, but I thought it would be a good place for a conversation about over zealous parents. Fairland's A Football Team (12U) is going to a competition in Sandusky, OH. They play 3 games in two days. With the possibility of playing an additional game if you drop to the losers bracket. That is a lot of stress on a kid 12 and under. What's your thoughts?
When is it??

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Football does give the greatest chance in a severe injury, but studies are showing a rise in injuries to young athletes due to overuse of muscles over an extended period of time, and not enough rest of those muscles. You have young kids getting tommy John surgery in baseball players, hip and knee problems in youth soccer and basketball players who play year round.

Yeah, the concussion boogeyman has stigmatized football, that’s why you see a strict crackdown on time spent playing it, this should also apply to kids focusing on one sport year around as well.

2 years ago I helped coach a 12U baseball team that played in a couple of tournaments, one team we faced had 2 kids who couldn’t pitch because their elbows hurt from throwing breaking balls. Their 3rd guy had to be taken out because his elbow started hurting, they moved him to 3rd base! 😫.

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

Grey Goose, it's this weekend. You can see the info at ohioathletics.com

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

What are the rules etc. when you are talking about kids 12 years old and younger? How many minutes are the Qtr. etc? What kind of situation would this be where you would want the kids to possibly play 2 games a day for 2 days? I know what you mean by loser bracket. To me I wouldn't want my son to play up to 4 games in 2 days even if it was 8 minute Qtr.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

I would never send our teams to these tournaments in the past. No way I would allow kids to play multiple games in the same weekend, let alone the same day! That's absolutely crazy. You can call it a "state" tournament..just a name and means nothing.

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

Even though I'm against this tourney. I want to wish Fairland good luck today as they play for the championship. They won their first two games yesterday.

StolenTalents12
Freshman Team

Post by StolenTalents12 »

Fairlands A team are State Champs!!!

Chaw
Freshman Team

Post by Chaw »

WV has the same sort of thing..played at the Greenbrier....it is a 40 min running clock....no quarters....I'm not sure about halftime.... basically you get the ball maybe three times

Return to “Football”