Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Raider6309
SEOPS H
Posts: 6700
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:00 pm
Location: Athens

Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by Raider6309 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:05 pm

Ohsaa let’s you have 16 cheerleaders but only 8 get in free. The rest have to pay $9 to get in. Did Ohsaa just start this nonsense?



VetteMan
All State
Posts: 1155
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:58 pm

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by VetteMan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:10 pm

Does not surprise me at all. Next thing will be how many Band members are allowed in free?

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo
Posts: 30679
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:05 am
Location: Buckeye Lake, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:12 pm

The OHSAA is all about making money.

Beergogglebluez
JV Team
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:02 pm

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by Beergogglebluez » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:23 pm

If true that could possibly be one the the dumbest things I ever read.

Ironman92
SEOPS Mr. Ohio
Posts: 15295
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by Ironman92 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:31 pm

36 high school cheerleaders is dumb too

8 is enough for varsity but can’t hurt anyone’s feelings

FANOSPORTS
SEOP
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:14 pm
Location: NORTH OF EDEN

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by FANOSPORTS » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:35 pm

I got beat down when I mentioned OHSAA's name about financial gains on another thread when I connected it with the playoff expansions for more teams over the years but if they didn't make more money and profit from these things , they wouldn't be put into effect. This is just another example of greed by them for the almighty dollar. I sometimes wonder if it's even for the good of kids & overseeing and monitoring athletics at all or it's just like another business. :(
"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"

Ironman92
SEOPS Mr. Ohio
Posts: 15295
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by Ironman92 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:44 pm

FANOSPORTS wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:35 pm
I got beat down when I mentioned OHSAA's name about financial gains on another thread when I connected it with the playoff expansions for more teams over the years but if they didn't make more money and profit from these things , they wouldn't be put into effect. This is just another example of greed by them for the almighty dollar. I sometimes wonder if it's even for the good of kids & overseeing and monitoring athletics at all or it's just like another business. :(
In XC my team advanced to regionals and they allowed 10 passes....one for me and 9 for athletes. I’m at the smallest division school (D3) but have 14 athletes...had to have our boosters buy 5 ($8) tickets

wobycat
SE
Posts: 2016
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:53 am

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by wobycat » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:45 pm

Ohsaa is nothing but a business. All decisions are monetary in nature. Essentially they are a joke.

petesweaty
JV Team
Posts: 348
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:37 pm

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by petesweaty » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:13 pm

Why do you think there are 7 divisions in football? 8 teams in each region getting in. $$$$$$$
Probably close to half of the teams are not good enough to be in the playoffs.
It is all about the Greenbacks!

User avatar
79Tiger
Varsity
Posts: 651
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by 79Tiger » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:21 am

This is the biggest bunch of nonsense I have ever heard of. If it is true, the OHSAA needs to answer for this. The Columbus Dispatch and other large city papers should be all over this asking questions etc. Do OHSAA members, their family and friends have to pay to get in games? I bet not. And if they do, I bet it is at drastically reduced rates and OHSAA members get reimbursed for that as an "expense."
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D

Flyers58
Waterboy
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:41 pm

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by Flyers58 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:09 am

Ironman92 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:31 pm
36 high school cheerleaders is dumb too

8 is enough for varsity but can’t hurt anyone’s feelings

Agree 100 %,,,I think it is sad to see more cheerleaders than band members........if memory serves me correctly you are restricted to the number of cheerleaders on the floor of the Convo during tournament games.......

Pol pot
S
Posts: 1736
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by Pol pot » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:58 am

Cheerleaders in excess of a certain number need a ticket, this rule has been in effect for decades, and exist in basketball as well, in fact only 8 people are even allowed to cheer at a basketball game. You’ve got to have some form of reasonable limits, and having 30+ cheerleaders, 2 mascots, and 4 coaches, yeah, probably just a tad much.

Pol pot
S
Posts: 1736
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by Pol pot » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:59 am

Raider6309 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:05 pm
Ohsaa let’s you have 16 cheerleaders but only 8 get in free. The rest have to pay $9 to get in. Did Ohsaa just start this nonsense?
No, been the policy for decades.

mondayamqb
Freshman Team
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:31 pm

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by mondayamqb » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:31 am

Pol pot wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:58 am
Cheerleaders in excess of a certain number need a ticket, this rule has been in effect for decades, and exist in basketball as well, in fact only 8 people are even allowed to cheer at a basketball game. You’ve got to have some form of reasonable limits, and having 30+ cheerleaders, 2 mascots, and 4 coaches, yeah, probably just a tad much.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Correct

55buckeyes98
All Conference
Posts: 933
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:00 am

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by 55buckeyes98 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:57 am

Still if the girls were on the squad should get in free, they don't limit the band members do they? Plus if there are 36 girls that's 72 parents plus siblings and other paying family members

Otto
Freshman Team
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:53 am

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by Otto » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:13 pm

Ironman92 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:44 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:35 pm
I got beat down when I mentioned OHSAA's name about financial gains on another thread when I connected it with the playoff expansions for more teams over the years but if they didn't make more money and profit from these things , they wouldn't be put into effect. This is just another example of greed by them for the almighty dollar. I sometimes wonder if it's even for the good of kids & overseeing and monitoring athletics at all or it's just like another business. :(
In XC my team advanced to regionals and they allowed 10 passes....one for me and 9 for athletes. I’m at the smallest division school (D3) but have 14 athletes...had to have our boosters buy 5 ($8) tickets
Since when did they start charging for attendance at XC races? Granted, I haven't been to an XC event in over 12 years, but the only time I ever had to pay was when I went to Scioto Downs to watch the state championships.

Raider6309
SEOPS H
Posts: 6700
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:00 pm
Location: Athens

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by Raider6309 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:29 pm

Pol pot wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:58 am
Cheerleaders in excess of a certain number need a ticket, this rule has been in effect for decades, and exist in basketball as well, in fact only 8 people are even allowed to cheer at a basketball game. You’ve got to have some form of reasonable limits, and having 30+ cheerleaders, 2 mascots, and 4 coaches, yeah, probably just a tad much.
Then set the max at 8 and not 16. You are forcing kids to pay to cheer.

bbjunky81
All State
Posts: 1070
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:30 pm

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by bbjunky81 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:04 pm

I haven't been posting much lately but this one I need to chime in on.

This thread is ridiculous. First off, if only 8 cheerleaders are allowed to cheer then you shouldn't need to bring 16 to begin with. However, we live in a society where we have to coddle to each and every complaint so instead of making cuts and taking our best 8, we instead take 16 and then complain that 8 have to pay to get in (which 99% of the time the boosters will pay for anyway).

Not to mention that once tournaments start there is a limit for each team on how many people get in. In basketball you can only bring a certain # on the roster (I want to say it's 15, maybe less), a manager, 3-4 coaches MAX etc. The rest have to pay. So, you can't bring the JV team with the tournament team and have them get in for free. You also can't have 18 coaches and expect every one of them to get a free pass in.

There has to be limits on these types of things. I have numerous problems with the OHSAA, but this is absolutely not one of them.
Watching SE Ohio basketball and self-anointed pfloyd replacement when he gives it up.

wobycat
SE
Posts: 2016
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:53 am

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by wobycat » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:50 pm

bbjunky81 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:04 pm
I haven't been posting much lately but this one I need to chime in on.

This thread is ridiculous. First off, if only 8 cheerleaders are allowed to cheer then you shouldn't need to bring 16 to begin with. However, we live in a society where we have to coddle to each and every complaint so instead of making cuts and taking our best 8, we instead take 16 and then complain that 8 have to pay to get in (which 99% of the time the boosters will pay for anyway).

Not to mention that once tournaments start there is a limit for each team on how many people get in. In basketball you can only bring a certain # on the roster (I want to say it's 15, maybe less), a manager, 3-4 coaches MAX etc. The rest have to pay. So, you can't bring the JV team with the tournament team and have them get in for free. You also can't have 18 coaches and expect every one of them to get a free pass in.

There has to be limits on these types of things. I have numerous problems with the OHSAA, but this is absolutely not one of them.
Bull crap. I don’t care if they have to buy a ticket or not. It’s the principle of it all. I seriously doubt any school is trying to take advantage of a few tickets.

User avatar
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo
Posts: 262751
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:39 pm
Location: Logan, Ohio

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by noreply66 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:58 pm

Ohsaa shouldn't have any control over cheerleaders.
GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us

Sideliner
Riding the Bench
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:20 pm

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by Sideliner » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:49 pm

30 is a huge cheer squad however, 8 is small. This has nothing to do with kids being coddled. If a cheerleader has cheered all year, they shouldn’t have to pay. How many football players stand on the side and never step foot on the field and then not have to pay?

Ironman92
SEOPS Mr. Ohio
Posts: 15295
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by Ironman92 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:13 pm

Sideliner wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:49 pm
30 is a huge cheer squad however, 8 is small. This has nothing to do with kids being coddled. If a cheerleader has cheered all year, they shouldn’t have to pay. How many football players stand on the side and never step foot on the field and then not have to pay?
It’s a football game.

Sideliner
Riding the Bench
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:20 pm

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by Sideliner » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:43 pm

You are absolutely right about it being a football game. My point was that if there is a big squad it is about being coddled and if a cheerleader is upset about having to pay than it is just them being what? Entitled? But you can have 20 extra kids on the football team that never play and that is just football. Dont get me wrong, that I don’t think every kid should play and definitely dont agree that every kid should make the cheer squad and 30+ kids is a ridiculous amout of sideline cheerleaders. However, if there are 12 girls that have stood in the rain and cold to cheer on the football team or have stayed up late to make signs to decorate the school or whatever cheerleaders do, they shouldn’t have to pay to get in. Just like the band and just like those jv boys who come to support the team.

Ironman92
SEOPS Mr. Ohio
Posts: 15295
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by Ironman92 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:28 pm

Sideliner wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:43 pm
You are absolutely right about it being a football game. My point was that if there is a big squad it is about being coddled and if a cheerleader is upset about having to pay than it is just them being what? Entitled? But you can have 20 extra kids on the football team that never play and that is just football. Dont get me wrong, that I don’t think every kid should play and definitely dont agree that every kid should make the cheer squad and 30+ kids is a ridiculous amout of sideline cheerleaders. However, if there are 12 girls that have stood in the rain and cold to cheer on the football team or have stayed up late to make signs to decorate the school or whatever cheerleaders do, they shouldn’t have to pay to get in. Just like the band and just like those jv boys who come to support the team.
I don’t disagree with you but also don’t feel they are paying. I just assume the boosters are paying for it.

carbon_dated
All Conference
Posts: 862
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:58 pm

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by carbon_dated » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:15 pm

Was told OHSAA officials at the home office make in excess of $75K/yr. Not a bad gig to make gosh awful decisions.

Post Reply