Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Sideliner
Riding the Bench

Re: Ohsaa making Cheerleaders pay to cheer?

Post by Sideliner »

30 is a huge cheer squad however, 8 is small. This has nothing to do with kids being coddled. If a cheerleader has cheered all year, they shouldn’t have to pay. How many football players stand on the side and never step foot on the field and then not have to pay?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Sideliner wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:49 pm 30 is a huge cheer squad however, 8 is small. This has nothing to do with kids being coddled. If a cheerleader has cheered all year, they shouldn’t have to pay. How many football players stand on the side and never step foot on the field and then not have to pay?
It’s a football game.

Sideliner
Riding the Bench

Post by Sideliner »

You are absolutely right about it being a football game. My point was that if there is a big squad it is about being coddled and if a cheerleader is upset about having to pay than it is just them being what? Entitled? But you can have 20 extra kids on the football team that never play and that is just football. Dont get me wrong, that I don’t think every kid should play and definitely dont agree that every kid should make the cheer squad and 30+ kids is a ridiculous amout of sideline cheerleaders. However, if there are 12 girls that have stood in the rain and cold to cheer on the football team or have stayed up late to make signs to decorate the school or whatever cheerleaders do, they shouldn’t have to pay to get in. Just like the band and just like those jv boys who come to support the team.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Sideliner wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:43 pm You are absolutely right about it being a football game. My point was that if there is a big squad it is about being coddled and if a cheerleader is upset about having to pay than it is just them being what? Entitled? But you can have 20 extra kids on the football team that never play and that is just football. Dont get me wrong, that I don’t think every kid should play and definitely dont agree that every kid should make the cheer squad and 30+ kids is a ridiculous amout of sideline cheerleaders. However, if there are 12 girls that have stood in the rain and cold to cheer on the football team or have stayed up late to make signs to decorate the school or whatever cheerleaders do, they shouldn’t have to pay to get in. Just like the band and just like those jv boys who come to support the team.
I don’t disagree with you but also don’t feel they are paying. I just assume the boosters are paying for it.

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

Was told OHSAA officials at the home office make in excess of $75K/yr. Not a bad gig to make gosh awful decisions.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

carbon_dated wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:15 pm Was told OHSAA officials at the home office make in excess of $75K/yr. Not a bad gig to make gosh awful decisions.
Their home office is located in a inconspicuous building in a residential neighborhood, hidden by trees and woods on a side street off N. high street in Columbus before you get to Morse road. The land was originally purchased in 1964, it's on about an acre lot, is tax exempt and the market value is around $925,000.00 and the owner is comprised of the Board's of Education across the state. I do know that about 75% of the revenue comes from ticket sales , some comes from renewing permits of official's yearly and some come from CORPORATE sponsorships and who knows how many dollars that last one entails. It's hard to tell how much the Commissioner and Asst. Commissioner's make but It's probably well over $100k plus benefits and that's not including all the other staff employed in the office.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Older bird
Freshman Team

Post by Older bird »

It’s very simple. In football no limit to number of players (plenty of room on sideline). Should b same for cheerleaders. In basketball it’s limited to 15 (lack of space ?). So limit basketball cheerleaders for same reason. Problem solved

bullfrog93
Freshman Team

Post by bullfrog93 »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:14 pm
carbon_dated wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:15 pm Was told OHSAA officials at the home office make in excess of $75K/yr. Not a bad gig to make gosh awful decisions.
Their home office is located in a inconspicuous building in a residential neighborhood, hidden by trees and woods on a side street off N. high street in Columbus before you get to Morse road. The land was originally purchased in 1964, it's on about an acre lot, is tax exempt and the market value is around $925,000.00 and the owner is comprised of the Board's of Education across the state. I do know that about 75% of the revenue comes from ticket sales , some comes from renewing permits of official's yearly and some come from CORPORATE sponsorships and who knows how many dollars that last one entails. It's hard to tell how much the Commissioner and Asst. Commissioner's make but It's probably well over $100k plus benefits and that's not including all the other staff employed in the office.
Hey, they have to have a way to fund the lavish hospitality rooms at the state finals games. So why not bilk the cheerleaders out of a few bucks apiece. Those pennies can add up across the state and pay for some tasty refreshments for the fat cats on the board and working in Commish's office. :mrgreen:

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

noreply66 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:58 pm Ohsaa shouldn't have any control over cheerleaders.
They do not have control over cheerleaders, they do however have control over who gets into games.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Otto wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:13 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:44 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:35 pm I got beat down when I mentioned OHSAA's name about financial gains on another thread when I connected it with the playoff expansions for more teams over the years but if they didn't make more money and profit from these things , they wouldn't be put into effect. This is just another example of greed by them for the almighty dollar. I sometimes wonder if it's even for the good of kids & overseeing and monitoring athletics at all or it's just like another business. :(
In XC my team advanced to regionals and they allowed 10 passes....one for me and 9 for athletes. I’m at the smallest division school (D3) but have 14 athletes...had to have our boosters buy 5 ($8) tickets
Since when did they start charging for attendance at XC races? Granted, I haven't been to an XC event in over 12 years, but the only time I ever had to pay was when I went to Scioto Downs to watch the state championships.
The Ohio XC race is one of the largest if not the largest in the country. Average of 10-12K in attendance. And again, there has to be limits! ONLY 7 runners can compete if your team qualified for the race, there is NO need to bring 14, as 50% of them will be spectators. All rosters have limits, the NFL has roster limits, college athletics has roster limits, and so does the OHSAA.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Not to mention that schools get reimbursed for sending cheerleaders to the game, they get milage and meal money, you really want to just have an open ended concept to this?

Funny, Raider took this to Yappi and got pretty much smacked down by many educated on the matter, here he's got people frothing at the mouth.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Pol pot wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:16 am
Ironman92 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:44 pm

In XC my team advanced to regionals and they allowed 10 passes....one for me and 9 for athletes. I’m at the smallest division school (D3) but have 14 athletes...had to have our boosters buy 5 ($8) tickets
Since when did they start charging for attendance at XC races? Granted, I haven't been to an XC event in over 12 years, but the only time I ever had to pay was when I went to Scioto Downs to watch the state championships.
The Ohio XC race is one of the largest if not the largest in the country. Average of 10-12K in attendance. And again, there has to be limits! ONLY 7 runners can compete if your team qualified for the race, there is NO need to bring 14, as 50% of them will be spectators. All rosters have limits, the NFL has roster limits, college athletics has roster limits, and so does the OHSAA.
There’s no need to bring 14? Maybe no need to get 14 without paying but I’m not agreeing there is no need to bring the other 7 kids who practice with us every day and every other meet before districts. Those kids are fully part of our team. They were “spectators” but also all over different parts of the course cheering their guys on. Left and went and had team meal at a restaurant and had a big time...I’d felt like crap I’d those other teammates weren’t part of it. Free or not, whatever but for me there was a need for them to be there.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:22 pm
Pol pot wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:16 am

There’s no need to bring 14? Maybe no need to get 14 without paying but I’m not agreeing there is no need to bring the other 7 kids who practice with us every day and every other meet before districts. Those kids are fully part of our team. They were “spectators” but also all over different parts of the course cheering their guys on. Left and went and had team meal at a restaurant and had a big time...I’d felt like crap I’d those other teammates weren’t part of it. Free or not, whatever but for me there was a need for them to be there.
Is anyone saying those people cannot be there? What is done in other sports? Does the Freshmen and JV team get into the State Basketball Tournament if the Varsity team is playing? Your runners 8-14 are essentially your JV team (unless you letter everyone who breathes and ties their shoes). Amazing that you will complain about this but then defend Jackson charging $2 to park ;-)

Return to “Football”