Portsmouth Trojans 2019

ravensfan09
JV Team

Re: Portsmouth Trojans 2019

Post by ravensfan09 »

wobycat wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:05 pm
burgfella69 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:32 pm is parker staying at portsmouth? rumors are out there
I bet he does. He was supposed to come to Burg last year too.
I had heard he wanted to go to a prep school to get more exposure and help with his grades. Most of the Oline graduated, so it could be a little tougher next year.

IMG sends guys all over the country every year. He has talent no doubt!

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

wobycat wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:05 pm
burgfella69 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:32 pm is parker staying at portsmouth? rumors are out there
I bet he does. He was supposed to come to Burg last year too.
I had heard he may go to a prep school yo get more exposure and more help with academics. He can definitely play at the next level just needs an opportunity.

Most of P-towns Oline graduates, so it could be a little tougher next season.

IMG Academy sends kids all over the country every year. Just a rumor, but I could see it happening.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

I have heard nothing about him leaving, there were rumors last year that turned out to be false.
He is getting interest from the schools he is interested in so I don’t see why he would leave.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:25 pm I have heard nothing about him leaving, there were rumors last year that turned out to be false.
He is getting interest from the schools he is interested in so I don’t see why he would leave.
I don’t think he will leave. But if he goes anywhere, they are getting a gym. Kid is something else

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

He’s not going anywhere. Will his stats be the same as last year I don’t think so. I think teams will know this year to focus on him. If we get a line together he could have big games. But I think he will stay. His family all graduated from Portsmouth.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

What’s the latest for this year? Seasons right around the corner, and no chatter. What’s the weight room numbers looking like. Who’s got the leg up at QB? Will they give us an actual passing game this year? Parker looked like he beefed up some.

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

Looking forward to the season, Best of Luck to Bruce Kaub and the men of Troy in 2019

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Parker is the real deal but he’s got to get help. He tweaked a hamstring in track. He needs to be healthy all year. He can carry the Trojans into the playoffs himself.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

One of the major priorities for the 2019 Trojans is to develop a QB that can make plays through the air........it is unfair to Talyn Parker to expect him to carry the offense all season. Even though he is super talented, he can only take so much punishment and a very heavy workload is much more likely to result in injury. In addition, if Portsmouth is unable to throw the ball effectively, guess what.......opposing teams will gameplan to minimize Parker's influence, daring the Trojans to beat them with the pass.

Portsmouth managed to get in the playoffs last season with a very mediocre passing game, but that won't work every year. Also to consider is the talent at WR that won't be developed because of the inability to get them the ball. I've seen a lot of playoff football, and for the most part the majority of teams that not only make the playoffs but advance in the playoffs have the ability to throw the football when needed. The 2018 Trojans showed very little of that capability. Wheelersburg's state championship team of 2017 had an offense that could make the pass plays when they had to. Trent Salyers was an outstanding QB, and their final drive vs. Pemberville Eastwood to tie the game was exclusively by the pass. Portsmouth, on the other hand, was shutout by Middletown Madison 26-0 in the playoffs, largely because the offense was very one dimensional.

I would also like to see the Trojans improve their defensive numbers which are still not on regional championship or state championship level. PHS gave up 30 or more points 5 times last season, and that's way too much. I'm not a scheme guru by any means, but I do know that outstanding conditioning is a must to play championship level defense. Defenses that get tired quickly are teams that will give up a lot of points, even if the scheme used is the proper one.

And.......it is not the coaches job to get kids in shape from scratch. It is up to the kids in the offseason, not the preseason, to show committment to that goal. Too many kids do nothing in the offseason, then expect the coaches to get them in football shape in a month or so. That is unfair to the coaches. The coaches responsibility should be to refine the conditioning that the athletes are supposed to already have.

Look at Wheelersburg.........one of the things that has always stood out about the Pirates is their level of conditioning. They don't just win games because they have superior athletes......there are other teams that have outstanding athletes as well. The Burg's players are in outstanding physical condition, and that in turn makes a difference on the scoreboard. Their players have obviously made a committment to be in outstanding shape by the time football conditioning officially starts.

Portsmouth can make the playoffs in 2019, but with the 2018 formula it will be most likely much tougher. Coach Kalb and his staff did a terrific job in using what was available and taking that team to the playoffs. There are some challenges ahead in 2019 that if not improved, could result in a season that may not meet expectations.

GO TROJANS!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

How is Parker’s hamstring?

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:10 pm How is Parker’s hamstring?
Seen on Twitter that he participated in the annual Cadogan football camp this past weekend. Says he had a 10.2 broad jump and ran a 4.45 40, so I’m going to say the hamstring is doing pretty well lol. If he continues to take care of it (I’m sure he will) like he has been, I’d say he will be close to 100% week 1 against Valley, if not sooner.

Who Dey!
Beergogglebluez
SE

Trojans started weights and conditioning. the numbers are about 30-35 kids so far. A lot less than I would expect but maybe that low because of vacations etc. A quarterback is a must. No clue who will be the starter. And need to finish the offense and defensive lines. Skill spots should be fine. Replace a linebacker. Conditioning is a must as stated. If you’re exhausted you will give up a ton of points. I don’t think Parker has a big year like last year. I hope he does. But I think everyone knows what Portsmouth will do. You have to mix it up just a bit. We have fast receivers. Trojans are doing 7 vs 7 camps so that’s something we haven’t done for awhile. I know it’s not real game but gets the quarterback and receivers reps. The line will need heavy coaching. It’s going to look a lot different than last year. If you have a line that can block run it. There’s a big senior class this year. This is it for them. They tasted the postseason last year so I’m hoping there goal is to repeat and give us a home game. The kids need to condition on there own as well. That has been the Trojans weak area for years. There gassed. I really expect good things this year. That’s my gut feeling. It’s not always right lol.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

Tomorrow starts two a days...tell us for sure, is Parker gone to the Burg or is that a vicious rumor?

Does anyone know either way for sure? I'd honestly hate to see that for Portsmouth.

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
Mavrick2016
JV Team

Post by Mavrick2016 »

kantucky wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:24 pm Tomorrow starts two a days...tell us for sure, is Parker gone to the Burg or is that a vicious rumor?

Does anyone know either way for sure? I'd honestly hate to see that for Portsmouth.
He's will stay at Portsmouth, The Parker name roots run deep in Portsmouth.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

kantucky wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:24 pm Tomorrow starts two a days...tell us for sure, is Parker gone to the Burg or is that a vicious rumor?

Parker will be a Trojan this fall.

Who Dey!
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Lol it was a rumor started by him. But he was never going to Burg. Burg would challenge him but he’s the main dude in p town. Really good player.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

He started it? That’s too funny! Anyway, glad to hear it’s not the truth. That name is a big part of Portsmouth. He’s like a bullet coming out of a gun when he has a step or two. He’s just amazing to watch with that kind of speed.

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
Beergogglebluez
SE

Tomorrow doesn’t start 2 a days. Camp starts tomorrow. Not mandatory but you better be there type situation. He did start that rumor. Kind of funny I thought. Just a kid having fun. Haven’t heard much out of the Trojan camp. I’m going to have to check them out and see the number of kids and what’s going on.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

wobycat wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:37 pm Lol it was a rumor started by him. But he was never going to Burg. Burg would challenge him but he’s the main dude in p town. Really good player.
Burg is a system team like Tri Valley. Burg doesn’t have big time athletes like Parker. Parker would have been the entire Burg offense

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:07 pm
wobycat wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:37 pm Lol it was a rumor started by him. But he was never going to Burg. Burg would challenge him but he’s the main dude in p town. Really good player.
Burg is a system team like Tri Valley. Burg doesn’t have big time athletes like Parker. Parker would have been the entire Burg offense
Lol. Burg had tanner Holden last year. SMH

Return to “Football”