Portsmouth Trojans 2019

Cincinnati37
Waterboy

Portsmouth Trojans 2019

Post by Cincinnati37 »

What y’all think about the Trojans next year

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Re: Portsmouth Trojans 2019

Post by Mad-Dogg »

I wish the series with burg would start back up. Sure it hasn’t been the same but it’s always a good gate and a hell of a 50/50

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:46 pm I wish the series with burg would start back up. Sure it hasn’t been the same but it’s always a good gate and a hell of a 50/50
:lol: :lol:

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

Th game should be played, I miss the arrogance

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Pa Trojan wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:36 am Th game should be played, I miss the arrogance
I advocated not playing any of the soc schools in anything after they constantly turned us down for league admittance so many times. But then again someone's grandpa from phs said something bad about a county school 40 years ago so it's understandable why we were turned down.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:56 pm
Pa Trojan wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:36 am Th game should be played, I miss the arrogance
I advocated not playing any of the soc schools in anything after they constantly turned us down for league admittance so many times. But then again someone's grandpa from phs said something bad about a county school 40 years ago so it's understandable why we were turned down.
I had always heard that at point the SOC wanted Portsmouth in the SOC and they turned them down because they viewed themselves as better than the SOC schools, which was why when Portsmouth tried to join the last couple of times they were turned down.

I think all parties should drop the bitching blame game and look at the positives and negatives of if it actually happened and ways to do it. Especially if Portsmouth continues the improvement and Burg and West continue what they have done. Imagine at least a 3 team race for the SOC II.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

I always heard burg and west were yes votes. I'd imagine it had a lot more to do with basketball and track then football if it was for competitive reasons. Every current soc 2 school probably has a winning record against us in football for the last 10 years.

Burg93
Freshman Team

Post by Burg93 »

Agreed, but I think PHS has been improving of late.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Tartanblue wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:36 pm
portsmouth_98 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:56 pm
I had always heard that at point the SOC wanted Portsmouth in the SOC and they turned them down because they viewed themselves as better than the SOC schools, which was why when Portsmouth tried to join the last couple of times they were turned down.

I think all parties should drop the bitching blame game and look at the positives and negatives of if it actually happened and ways to do it. Especially if Portsmouth continues the improvement and Burg and West continue what they have done. Imagine at least a 3 team race for the SOC II.
Portsmouth turned them down when Portsmouth was a AAA school in the 70’s. Maybe 60’s but ptown was better back then and what would Portsmouth get playing a class A or AA school. Portsmouth was in the GOL greater Ohio league

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I’d like to see Portsmouth in the Soc. I’d like to see them play area schools like Greenup county, oak hill, minford.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

Outside of Parker...what do the Trojans have coming back?

Beergogglebluez
SE

ravensfan09 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:41 pm Outside of Parker...what do the Trojans have coming back?
A big junior class that will be seniors. But have a lot of work to do. As of now we have no qb. The roe kid is going to be good. He likes to pass and has a good arm. Both lines need spots filled. Have good size kids but need work. I’d have the line powerlifting and getting stronger which I think most are unless they have other sports going on. I would love to see Portsmouth do 7 vs 7 scrimmages to let the new qbs throw and learn routes. At some point we will have to throw. Can’t run every play. Well you can but I’d groom the new arms.

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:27 am
ravensfan09 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:41 pm Outside of Parker...what do the Trojans have coming back?
A big junior class that will be seniors. But have a lot of work to do. As of now we have no qb. The roe kid is going to be good. He likes to pass and has a good arm. Both lines need spots filled. Have good size kids but need work. I’d have the line powerlifting and getting stronger which I think most are unless they have other sports going on. I would love to see Portsmouth do 7 vs 7 scrimmages to let the new qbs throw and learn routes. At some point we will have to throw. Can’t run every play. Well you can but I’d groom the new arms.
Isn't Roe a young kid? Maybe a Freshman? He is a very nice athlete though! Does Bryant play football?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The Trojans are in need of a QB that is a capable passer, and a better defense. Our kicking game is in good shape with the Bowling kid. Bryant played football last season, but broke his leg in the last game. Whether he plays football again remains to be seen. I know that in a few weeks that he should be fully recovered to help the basketball team.

I said it last year during the season, as great as he is, Talyn Parker cannot win every game toting the ball for the Trojans. A good passing game will make Talyn better and will give opposing defensive coordinators more to worry about.

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

trojandave wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:24 pm The Trojans are in need of a QB that is a capable passer, and a better defense. Our kicking game is in good shape with the Bowling kid. Bryant played football last season, but broke his leg in the last game. Whether he plays football again remains to be seen. I know that in a few weeks that he should be fully recovered to help the basketball team.

I said it last year during the season, as great as he is, Talyn Parker cannot win every game toting the ball for the Trojans. A good passing game will make Talyn better and will give opposing defensive coordinators more to worry about.
Trojandave....who do you foresee as QB?

Beergogglebluez
SE

ravensfan09 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:28 am
trojandave wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:24 pm The Trojans are in need of a QB that is a capable passer, and a better defense. Our kicking game is in good shape with the Bowling kid. Bryant played football last season, but broke his leg in the last game. Whether he plays football again remains to be seen. I know that in a few weeks that he should be fully recovered to help the basketball team.

From the early opinion. It will have to be roe. We only had 2 qbs last year. He will be good. He looked very good in jv games and early scrimmages. Holds the ball until the second. Seems comfortable and that will increase more reps he gets. Duncan also but he tore a acl so not sure what his status will be next season. Unless a name pops out of the woodwork I can’t see anyone but him.

Beergogglebluez
SE

I heard a rumor that week 3 river valley is not happening. Like I said just rumor. Anyone heard if true and a possible replacement if so.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The QB will be Drew Roe or Michael Duncan.........I just don't want our QB to just handoff to Talyn........I want him to throw some meaningful passes. A solid running game with a great RB is nice to have, but at some point you're going to fall behind in a game, and the running game might by stifled. This is where being able to pass effectively is critical. There's also a by-product of having a good passing attack. The Trojans just might have some outstanding receiving talent just waiting to be developed. If we don't incorporate a capable passing game in the offense, then you don't develop that budding talent.

Look at the state championship games over the years.......virtually all the teams that won state titles or at least made it to the title game could pass effectively. I'm not saying it was the focus of their offense, but they could make plays via the air when needed. Look at the 2017 Wheelersburg state championship team.......Trent Salyers passed the Pirates down the field almost 80 yards starting with a little over a minute to play. Without the capability to pass, the Burg doesn't win the state title. Portsmouth could have been much more competitive with Middletown Madison if we could have passed when we needed to, and there were situations that dictated a pass over a run.

We all know how great Talyn is, and he may go down as the greatest RB in Trojan history. But we have to have a passing game, plain and simple. To not develop it is a disservice to the overall offense and the potential talent at those positions. Talyn can still be and should be the focus of the offense, but I want to see the Trojans be dangerous in more ways than one.

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:32 am

From the early opinion. It will have to be roe. We only had 2 qbs last year. He will be good. He looked very good in jv games and early scrimmages. Holds the ball until the second. Seems comfortable and that will increase more reps he gets. Duncan also but he tore a acl so not sure what his status will be next season. Unless a name pops out of the woodwork I can’t see anyone but him.
Does the Freshman point guard play football?

Yikes
Riding the Bench

Post by Yikes »

ravensfan09 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:18 am
Beergogglebluez wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:32 am

Does the Freshman point guard play football?
I believe you are speaking of Amare Johnson. He did not play football this past season but did in Jr. High. Idk why he didn't, from what I can tell, he was pretty good.

Return to “Football”