Makya Matthews

Burgball#1
Freshman Team

Re: Makya Matthews

Post by Burgball#1 »

Thanks for sharing wasn't sure what the QB situation would be but it sounds like we have some really good candidates!!!! Go Burg!!!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Cato wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:24 am Masters is gonna be a sophomore. He's a good passer, confident, but small physically. Will struggle taking hits unless he puts on weight and with less weapons around him, he's gonna take more hits than Salyers did. If Horsley or Miller doesn't get the job, Masters will and will be solid.

The Freshman to be isn't 6-2. Maybe a touch over 6 foot. Good athlete. Tough runner, but isn't overly quick or fast for varsity football.
Can throw the ball a long way, but isn't an accurate passer. To use a golfer comparison, he can hit it 300 yards but he putts like he drives.
Definitely not ready for varsity and imo will never play quarterback with Masters ahead of him and a good quarterback in grade behind him.

Salyers was a great quarterback. Yes he had great weapons around him, but he was an accurate passer and got them the ball on time where it needed to be. He won’t be totally appreciated until he is gone
Matthews is a heck of a player. Would like to see him get some D1 offers as it sounds like he is a good student/person as well.

As for the QB situation, I heard freshman-to-be was 6'3"? Guess the guy who told me that was either projecting or just outright lying! As for Masters (listed at 5'8") and Miller(5'9"),their size/durability look to be real question marks. Will be interesting to see what the Burg's offense looks like next year without Salyers/Holden.*

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

art_vandelay wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:41 pm
Cato wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:24 am Masters is gonna be a sophomore. He's a good passer, confident, but small physically. Will struggle taking hits unless he puts on weight and with less weapons around him, he's gonna take more hits than Salyers did. If Horsley or Miller doesn't get the job, Masters will and will be solid.

The Freshman to be isn't 6-2. Maybe a touch over 6 foot. Good athlete. Tough runner, but isn't overly quick or fast for varsity football.
Can throw the ball a long way, but isn't an accurate passer. To use a golfer comparison, he can hit it 300 yards but he putts like he drives.
Definitely not ready for varsity and imo will never play quarterback with Masters ahead of him and a good quarterback in grade behind him.

Salyers was a great quarterback. Yes he had great weapons around him, but he was an accurate passer and got them the ball on time where it needed to be. He won’t be totally appreciated until he is gone
Matthews is a heck of a player. Would like to see him get some D1 offers as it sounds like he is a good student/person as well.

As for the QB situation, I heard freshman-to-be was 6'3"? Guess the guy who told me that was either projecting or just outright lying! As for Masters (listed at 5'8") and Miller(5'9"),their size/durability look to be real question marks. Will be interesting to see what the Burg's offense looks like next year without Salyers/Holden.*
The freshman to be is just a little over 6' not quite 6-1.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

I can tell you this, matthews is already. Lifting and getting his speed workouts in. Does it alone, kid is driven.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

Geesh,do you have any potential starters next year that grew up in the burg? Being a Tiger alumni I can only hope we can get the same amount of transfer action that you get in the future,because starting next year without any transfers coming in maybe one,even with all of your new recruits the game is probably a tossup. ;)

sciotocounty
Waterboy

Post by sciotocounty »

art_vandelay wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:41 pm

Masters is actually taller than that. That was a typo at the beginning of the season. Even mapxreps says he’s a little taller than what’s listed on the original roster . But yes he does have to put some weight on. As far as Mathews goes, he’s a great athlete and a stand up kid . Good things coming to him after next year I hope .

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

I have no idea how the QB situation for Wheelersburg will play out but I have a thought.

I think that if you see Horsley at QB next season, it means the staff has a lot of faith in the freshman to be to be ready as a sophomore.

I think if they go with Masters next season, they feel like he will be the starter for 3 years.

JMO.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Crab's Brother wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:40 pm I have no idea how the QB situation for Wheelersburg will play out but I have a thought.

I think that if you see Horsley at QB next season, it means the staff has a lot of faith in the freshman to be to be ready as a sophomore.

I think if they go with Masters next season, they feel like he will be the starter for 3 years.

JMO.
I think they will try to go with him. He throws a pretty good ball but isn’t that big and not that small. Probably Salyers 2.0 as a sophomore. They are built next year to be a running team. Who knows what they will go with. Fun to speculate though.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

Don't forget kids this age can change overnight and could have very different measurments by next year , and a lot stronger.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

wobycat wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:02 pm
Crab's Brother wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:40 pm I have no idea how the QB situation for Wheelersburg will play out but I have a thought.

JMO.
I think they will try to go with him. He throws a pretty good ball but isn’t that big and not that small. Probably Salyers 2.0 as a sophomore. They are built next year to be a running team. Who knows what they will go with. Fun to speculate though.
True

If they go with Horsley, that would be the first qb to play defense since who? Alex Shears?

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Might see some wildcat with matthews

Basketballfan40
Freshman Team

Post by Basketballfan40 »

Makya Matthews is the dollar store version of the Sophomore, Maquael Parks, from Orville that torched the Johnnies in the state finals. Parks made them look silly. :lol:

Jolly(senator
Freshman Team

Post by Jolly(senator »

Basketballfan40 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:42 am Makya Matthews is the dollar store version of the Sophomore, Maquael Parks, from Orville that torched the Johnnies in the state finals. Parks made them look silly. :lol:
I have to agree

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Basketballfan40 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:42 am Makya Matthews is the dollar store version of the Sophomore, Maquael Parks, from Orville that torched the Johnnies in the state finals. Parks made them look silly. :lol:
Parks made a lot of teams look silly this season. Matthews is a talent that will stand out again next year. No need to tear him down though.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:52 pm
Parks made a lot of teams look silly this season. Matthews is a talent that will stand out again next year. No need to tear him down though.
Unfortunately, that's the way of the world now. Heaven forbid we cheer and encourage an outstanding kid on and off the field instead of making snide comments. I'm pretty sure he'll be just fine.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bfry wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:22 am
Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:52 pm
Unfortunately, that's the way of the world now. Heaven forbid we cheer and encourage an outstanding kid on and off the field instead of making snide comments. I'm pretty sure he'll be just fine.
Parks kid from the film I saw is really shifty. He’s a rare talent.

Matthews is really good in himself. He’s more powerful Than the two in my opinion.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

I think a lot of folks in this area are trying to belittle because Mak has been hard on their team.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Nothin dollar store about matthews

langra
Riding the Bench

Post by langra »

This dollar store kid made every team in southern Ohio look like fools this year. I guess the have no respect for the own program calling him this!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Don't understand the point of comparing Mathews to a player 3 hours away, let alone trashing Mathews while doing it. Mathews is one of the most athletic players I've ever seen in southeastern Ohio, and by all accounts, he's a great person and student. But keep on knocking a 17 year-old kid if it makes you feel better about your own deal.*

Return to “Football”