Burg vs. Portsmouth Future??

packers80
SE

Re: Burg vs. Portsmouth Future??

Post by packers80 »

Burg - Portsmouth should be played each year but as we've heard....its not fair...

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

I grew up in a rural, economically repressed area,the kids that wanted to play,did. The parents that's could be there,were. No kids or parents ever complained about lack of money or the woes they had,we all had the same problems and we all had no excuses.none. we took some ass whippins, did we cry and say, well the other team had an advantage because the players have 2 parents that work? Nope.,did we say it's not fair and we lost because things are more convenient for the other team? No. Did socioeconomics ever come up? No.,we were kids and we played. Period. Kids walked home from practice, ate free lunches and got vouchers for clothes and this was way before 2018.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

agreed packers, I beca,me friends with people I never would have, my social status wasnt up to par with some, and we worked as hard as I have ever worked in my post football life, the weight room, the conditioning etc etc, all to not be a part of another 0-10 record, we watched as Freshman,we did it and it made us better human beings

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:09 pm PHS had about 45

Burg had 76

So since you asked let’s do a little math. Let’s assume that the grades are pretty equally distributed. You primarily want to start Jr and Sr if at all possible just for the fact that they have had 2 years to mature 2 more years in weight room over Freshmen and sophomores. So if that’s the case PHS would have about 23 Jr and Sr, versus 38 jr and Sr for Burg.

Hmmm starting to see the advantage yet? That’s assuming that all these guys are viable options. Are they?
Sure looks easier to find 22 on each side for burg then it does PHS. Then what about platoons, backups, with Burgs numbers idk about you but I’d much rather rely on SR and JR there too burg would have 16 options left PHS 2. Hmmmm

According to the OHSAA
PHS enrollment is 171
Burgs enrollment is 175
Pretty similar but 30 more boys out to play football ??? Hmmmm how can this be???

I’m sure you will tell me it’s because of Burgs superior community superior coaches and superior program in general.
However it’s just not the case.

Even when Portsmouth was the dominant program locally, in the early 2000s teams were around 45-55 boys, PHS had a larger enrollment then too. Hmmm wonder what happened?
I believe winning also has an effect on the number of players on a team. When a team is winning more kids want to play, when a team constantly lose players do not want to play. Hence, how two schools with similar numbers in enrollment can have one team with 30 more players.

Case in point Green had a winning season and made the playoffs this year, look for more kids in their school to come out for the team compared to when they go 0-10 or 1-9 for a couple of years in a row.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

I too want the game played.
I too think we should be in the SOC, although I’m happy with the OVC, and it’s clear we are not welcome in the SOC.

Burg fans don’t like pointing out the advantages their kids have, for some reason. Personally I think it speaks well of their community school and program, even to the extent they should be proud of it.

Advantages are gained through multiple different avenues, this doesn’t mean others that don’t have this advantage shouldn’t play, it again means they have to work harder to overcome these lack of advantages, that other places may have.

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

Not to stir the pot, but why isn't Portsmouth welcome in the SOC?

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

ravensfan09 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:44 pm Not to stir the pot, but why isn't Portsmouth welcome in the SOC?
I’ll let the SOC fans answer that further, my statement was only based on the fact that each time we have applied we have been denied acceptance.

I’ve always been told that part of the problem is because old grudges die hard, and there was a time when Portsmouth didn’t want anything to do with them, as we were a much bigger school.

I would also like to point out that to my knowledge Burg is normally a yes vote for PHS, and it is often the smaller SOC 1 schools that have been voting no such as when we applied with South Gallia.

Injun
Waterboy

Post by Injun »

Valley and West already play Portsmouth. Minford and Wheelersburg have in the past. Portsmouth should try again

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:22 pm
ravensfan09 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:44 pm Not to stir the pot, but why isn't Portsmouth welcome in the SOC?
I’ll let the SOC fans answer that further, my statement was only based on the fact that each time we have applied we have been denied acceptance.

I’ve always been told that part of the problem is because old grudges die hard, and there was a time when Portsmouth didn’t want anything to do with them, as we were a much bigger school.

I would also like to point out that to my knowledge Burg is normally a yes vote for PHS, and it is often the smaller SOC 1 schools that have been voting no such as when we applied with South Gallia.
I’ve always said that they should be in the soc. I’ve also said that I don’t think teams in soc 1 should have any say on who gets in soc 2. It’s not like they play them

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Have always been told that when the SOC tried to get them to join the folks in Portsmouth at the time looked down at the SOC, because they believed they were better than to join the conference. When they fell on hard times with no conference along with not so great records they wanted to join the SOC and have been turned down each time.

I believe the reasoning for both the small and bigger schools vote to count on admission is because of the other sports as well. Oak Hill has always been in the SOC I in football and SOC II in everything else until next year when they move up like Northwest is currently doing now.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Tartanblue wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:01 am [quote=ravensfan09 post_id=<a href="tel:1729533">1729533</a> time=<a href="tel:1546476285">1546476285</a> user_id=13174]
Not to stir the pot, but why isn't Portsmouth welcome in the SOC?
Have always been told that when the SOC tried to get them to join the folks in Portsmouth at the time looked down at the SOC, because they believed they were better than to join the conference. When they fell on hard times with no conference along with not so great records they wanted to join the SOC and have been turned down each time.

I believe the reasoning for both the small and bigger schools vote to count on admission is because of the other sports as well. Oak Hill has always been in the SOC I in football and SOC II in everything else until next year when they move up like Northwest is currently doing now.
[/quote]

In all honesty, PHS was just to big for the majority of the SOC 2 schools prior to the early or mid 90s. Burg football was equal or better, and could compete in basketball, West in top years in football, but at the time PHS, was just too bignand I understand why we wouldn’t have wanted in.
From that point on though we have become similar in size. We have had streaks where we would have dominated (99-02) football (2010-2012) b-ball, but most years we would be a competitive but not dominating team in the SOC, with basketball being our best sport.
For these reasons, I feel there might be something to it more then old grudges. PHS, just recently added soccer back, could have the lack of soccer played a part??

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

SOC would be more beneficial for PHS as far as travel time goes. Especially for games during the school week. I would like to see Portsmouth join the SOC.

koondoger
JV Team

Re: Burg vs. Portsmouth

Post by koondoger »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:40 pm
Pa Trojan wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:19 am promise you this, If this ever happens, we will have a high level of security on our sidelines

Can we please just let this go? No one cheated.
Let me guess, the refs cheated? :mrgreen:

Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it! Selling cars ain't too bad neither. :mrgreen:
ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

This game should be played without question. Burg is better now, but Portsmouth seems to be on the upswing. I understand Portsmouth's reasoning though.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Tartanblue wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:01 am

And who ...always told you that?

And what do you mean by ,when they fell on hard times?

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

biggdowgg wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:48 pm
Tartanblue wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:01 am

And who ...always told you that?

And what do you mean by ,when they fell on hard times?
When Hopkins was at East the subject of Portsmouth not being in the SOC was brought up in conversation and that was the way it was explained to me.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

LOL , everyone has a "story"

Still don't understand the,hard times comment

Return to “Football”