Competitive Balance & OHSAA Playoffs

Omega
SEOPS H

Competitive Balance & OHSAA Playoffs

Post by Omega »

I guess OHSAA's competitive balance rules have had the desired effect of leveling the playing field in the football playoffs. From StateLineSportsNetork:

11-26-18) Last week in the OHSAA State Football Semifinal games, just three of the 28 schools (seven divisions) competing were private schools. With fourteen schools left to battle for seven state titles this weekend, three of those games will feature those three remaining private schools.

Last season, the first year of the competitive balance plan, just one private school played in a state final game…Akron Hoban won the D II title over Winton Woods. Hoban moved up last season from D III where they won the state title in 2016.

2019 OHSAA Football State Championships

7:30 PM, Thursday, Nov. 29 – Division II: No. 3 Massillon Washington (14-0) vs. No. 1 Akron Archbishop Hoban (14-0)

10:00 AM, Friday, Nov. 30 – Division VI: No. 1 Kirtland (14-0) vs. No. 3 Marion Local (13-1)
3:00 PM, Friday, Nov. 30 – Division III: No. 1 Kettering Archbishop Alter (13-1) vs. No. 4 Chagrin Falls Kenston (13-1)
8:00 PM Friday, Nov. 30 – Division I: No. 9 Lakewood St. Edward (10-3) vs. No. 1 Cincinnati Colerain (14-0)

10:00 AM, Saturday, Dec. 1 – Division VII: No. 6 McComb (13-1) vs. No. 2 Glouster Trimble (13-1)
3:00 PM, Saturday, Dec. 1 – Division V: Orrville (12-2) vs. No. 4 Johnstown-Monroe (13-1)
8:00 PM, Saturday, Dec. 1 – Division IV: No. 1 Cincinnati Wyoming (14-0) vs. Girard (13-1)

Two of the three private schools in the state finals in Canton this week moved up one division this season, Akron Hoban will play in the state final in D II again, without the CB plan they would have been in D III. Kettering Alter, moved up from D IV to D III and will play Kenston in the championship game. Lakewood St. Edward is the only private school in a state final not to move up a division, since they are already secure in D I.

Last Six Years Of Private School State Champions

II – Akron Bishop Hoban

I – Cincinnati St. Xavier
III – Akron Bishop Hoban
IV – Columbus Bishop Hartley
V – Canton Central Catholic
VII – Warren John F. Kennedy

I – Lakewood St. Edward
II – Cincinnati LaSalle
III – Akron Bishop Hoban
IV – Columbus Bishop Hartley

I – Lakewood St. Edward
II – Cincinnati LaSalle
III – Toledo Central Catholic
IV – Cleveland Benedictine

I – Cincinnati Moeller
III – Akron St. Mary-St. Mary

I – Cincinnati Moeller
II – Toledo Central Catholic
III – Akron St. Mary-St. Mary

In the process the competitive balance would also slow down one dominant football conference, the Midwest Athletic Conference. It started last year when the CB plan would move Coldwater down from D V, Ft. Recovery would move up from D VII and would join Marion Local in D VI and now all three remain in Region 24.

MAC Teams Who Participated In Past Championship Games

2018 – Marion Local
2017 – Marion Local, Minster
2016 – Minster, Marion Local, Coldwater
2015 – Ft. Recovery, Marion Local, Coldwater
2014 – Marion Local, Minster, Coldwater
2008 – Last time the MAC had just one school in Championship games
2002 – Last time the MAC had no schools in Championship games

This year’s D VI game is effected by the CB plan….

Marion Local will play a D V school for the 2nd time in the playoffs that has moved down this season to D VI, Kirtland. Two weeks ago the Flyers beat Coldwater in the regional finals. Both of those schools would have played in D V this year, had it not been for the CB plan.

In 2011 and 2012, before the CB plan and before there were seven divisions, Kirtland and Coldwater played in the D V state final games (they split the two games).

https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2018 ... -playoffs/

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
rxburgfan
All State

Re: Competitive Balance & OHSAA Playoffs

Post by rxburgfan »

Competitive balance is a good attempt. No perfect way but glad to see some positive impact.

allamericanironman
All Conference

Re: Competitive Balance & OHSAA Playoffs

Post by allamericanironman »

Division 3 Catholics!!!!! we get rid of one and gain more. At least they are trying to address the problem that are private schools.

It’s ok we have learned how to compete with them and are poised to run through them like mike Tyson in a middle school girls basketball locker room. Gonna chain the door shut. It’s not gonna be pretty!

They have absolutely no business playing small towns. Instead of installing this wacky stupid system wouldn’t it make more sense to let them have their own playoff system. They should all be moved to d1 they all give athletes scholarships.

When we played desales a d3 school they had over 100 players and 3 three THREE offensive teams and defenses. There is no competitive balance for that you guys are a joke and so is your system.

Return to “Football”