Logan's Billy Burke resigns, coaching search begins

loganlocos
SEOP

Logan's Billy Burke resigns, coaching search begins

Post by loganlocos »

According to the Logan Daily News, Logan's Billy Burke has resigned as the Chieftain's head football coach.

Burke spent six seasons at LHS compiling a 26-34 record. He won the school's last SEOAL championship in 2013 and led the purple and white to an 8-2 season in 2015. The Chieftains limped to a 1-9 record last fall.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Re: Logan's Billy Burke resigns, coaching search begins

Post by dazed&confused »

Make no mistake, this is a tough position to fill. Logan has a great football tradition and a great fan base. Missing a league affiliation is a detriment but not a disqualifier. The right person can come in, sell the proposition that we can compete and bring fundamentals to the program. Great booster program. They need to promote Logan Pride to the student body and community. Go Chiefs!

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

:o He felt the pressure from SEOPS posters. I knew this website would make a difference. :o

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

Don't think the AD cares what this site's post opinions are...Probably was resign or the boot.....Friday night $$$$ was taking a big hit...

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Give the job to Paladin.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Wonder who is on the short list?

AT THE RESERVATION
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

It will be interesting to see who is attracted to the job. Excellent facilities, experienced staff, good community support and good athletes IF you can get them out. That was the downfall of the last coach. No league hurts as you are constantly looking for games, taking whatever you can get.

Have gun, will travel
BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Well, you all got your Christmas present early.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

It will/should be someone that is hopefully young, looking to be in it for the long haul, re-build the burnt connections with the community and the student body. Logan has the tools for the coach that wants it.

AT THE RESERVATION
9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

1987chieftains wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:18 pm Logan has the tools for the coach that wants it.
Agree..........

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Let's not fool ourselves. This is a difficult task and turnaround will not happen right away. With all due respect, this change must be directed at the kids in lower grades. The next coach must reach down to the younger kids and get them involved early. And must make a compelling argument to buy in.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

1987chieftains wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:18 pm It will/should be someone that is hopefully young, looking to be in it for the long haul, re-build the burnt connections with the community and the student body. Logan has the tools for the coach that wants it.
Amen 87! Hopefully it will be someone with ties to Logan at some point in their life. If it’s not, hopefully it is someone who is charismatic and can swing a hammer in one hand while holding a feather in the other (figuratively speaking).

We have a unique community that takes a lot of pride in our athletics, our facilities, our school system, etc. Our kids deserve the best while having coaches that are given the leeway to drive them to do their best.

Bob Bolshavic
Freshman Team

Post by Bob Bolshavic »

I agree the lower levels have been wallering around in sub par football for years now. Got to get them started young winning and continue that up to the high school level.

9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

dazed&confused wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:30 pm Let's not fool ourselves. This is a difficult task and turnaround will not happen right away. With all due respect, this change must be directed at the kids in lower grades. The next coach must reach down to the younger kids and get them involved early. And must make a compelling argument to buy in.
It needs work from the bottom up.... The School Spirit in most kids is hanging by a thread of being dead, and needs brought back to life.....Need a good Doctor/Coach to revive it, and wants and knows how to win at any cost....

hannancoach
JV Team

Post by hannancoach »

Logan Chieftain Nation,
I see that you have begun the task of finding a new football coach. Perhaps this is a good time to get into a conference. We bought the rights to the name SEOAL. Currently we are the only league member. We are looking for more schools with roughly the same number of kids per acre as us. Please consider this post as our formal invitation to get back in the league.

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

How long would the Logan fans think the process is to replace? By late January? Earlier, later? Curious as to what the natives think as to timeframe.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Dandy Don wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:09 pm How long would the Logan fans think the process is to replace? By late January? Earlier, later? Curious as to what the natives think as to timeframe.
Based on 2018 board calendar, would guess late January or early February for a hire.

I don't think the school was expecting to have a search so I'm not sure anyone could honestly say they know what the timeline is.

Gecko
Varsity

Post by Gecko »

Let’s just say I had a chance to talk with a certain highly successful local coach who is a real spitfire and I was able to convince him to submit a resume’. Where should I send it?

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Does anyone know what criteria school districts use to decide who to hire as a head football coach?

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

loganlocos wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:12 pm
Dandy Don wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:09 pm How long would the Logan fans think the process is to replace? By late January? Earlier, later? Curious as to what the natives think as to timeframe.
Based on 2018 board calendar, would guess late January or early February for a hire.

I don't think the school was expecting to have a search so I'm not sure anyone could honestly say they know what the timeline is.
So, not expecting a search = that this was a surprise resignation? I assumed I guess that the "resignation" was basically due to the school telling him there would be a non-renewal. Your implying this took the school off guard and they were intending to renew?

Or am I reading into your comment?

Return to “Football”