The future of grass fields

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: The future of grass fields

Post by Orange and Brown »

carbon_dated wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:26 pm You know if a school can keep it's grass field intact for all the home games that's a win-win, but that's not happening much any longer.
The trouble with artificial turf is it's gets so hot you can see the steam coming off it. I was on the chain gang at a school and you could see how miserable it must be to tackled on it during late August or early September games.
I'm all for artificial turf, but if i'm the A.D. i'm scheduling games on grass the first weeks of season.
Felt especially bad for the pee wee teams that have to play on turf.
We'd actually prefer to play all our games on turf.
Turf does get really hot but the fields that use the lighter pellets stay quite a bit cooler.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Unless a donor gives VC around 5-800k, I doubt we ever have turf. Our field is 18 years old but it is only used for varsity football, 1 jv game, and 1 youth game each year. Everything else is played on the old field in town. I think that is a huge part of why it is, IMO, the best grass field in SEO. 😀

Barber1973
Freshman Team

Post by Barber1973 »

VC fer sure the best looking field around.

9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

noreply66 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:50 pm Love the grass field when it rains or snows.....NOW THAT IS FOOTBALL
8-).... Me too........

allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

Kicker. wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:08 am
BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:16 pm
BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:30 pm

I think there is still a lot of college's teams that play on grass.
Done a little research and 49 d-1 college teams still play on grass. The thing that really surprised me was the ACC and SEC.
ACC 10 grass fields 4 turf fields.
SEC 10 grass fields 4 turf fields.

Even in the midwestern climate that is the Big Ten there are only a few grass fields, Penn St, Mich St, Northwestern, Purdue,
This is an advantage to leave grass long water field down when Ohio st Michigan come to town trust me they can afford it. Look at the Purdue game mabye this has a part in Ohio st loss.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

allamericanironman wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:56 pm
Kicker. wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:08 am
BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:16 pm
Done a little research and 49 d-1 college teams still play on grass. The thing that really surprised me was the ACC and SEC.
ACC 10 grass fields 4 turf fields.
SEC 10 grass fields 4 turf fields.

Even in the midwestern climate that is the Big Ten there are only a few grass fields, Penn St, Mich St, Northwestern, Purdue,
This is an advantage to leave grass long water field down when Ohio st Michigan come to town trust me they can afford it. Look at the Purdue game mabye this has a part in Ohio st loss.

I agree with you, a lot of the games when a "better" team plays at those places usually struggles or has a close game

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Leave No Doubt
Riding the Bench

Post by Leave No Doubt »

Dundas wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:21 pm Unless a donor gives VC around 5-800k, I doubt we ever have turf. Our field is 18 years old but it is only used for varsity football, 1 jv game, and 1 youth game each year. Everything else is played on the old field in town. I think that is a huge part of why it is, IMO, the best grass field in SEO. 😀
Too bad the team hasn't been so good.

LEAVE NO DOUBT, TORNADOES!
toast
All State

Post by toast »

I believe Piketon will be getting a new turf field before next season. It just makes sense. So many more cost and increased time associated with grass fields. And with many schools the field gets used for football and soccer at various grade levels; turf is the best way to go. In most cases you invest a lot of money for grass and still have a "poor" field from overuse.

Most schools that go with turf get some degree of private funding. Private funds have covered the entire cost at some southern Ohio schools.

Some of the latest research indicates schools that invest in sports do better in academics. Some kind of residual affect that benefits the entire school body and community. Much better off with well funded sports and academics for our public schools. Some day our state leaders will figure that out.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Toast, I will be pleasantly surprised if that happens that soon at Piketon. That’s only 7 months away, now in the near future I think it will be done, plus other athletic and the arts upgrades! You can’t go wrong with permanent improvements to a school.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:41 am Toast, I will be pleasantly surprised if that happens that soon at Piketon. That’s only 7 months away, now in the near future I think it will be done, plus other athletic and the arts upgrades! You can’t go wrong with permanent improvements to a school.
I kinda thought they were hoping to have turf by next season. But you would have a better idea on that than I would. It will be a nice upgrade that most are looking forward to.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying you’re wrong, just going by what I have heard also. Would love for it to happen this year as well.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:03 pm Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying you’re wrong, just going by what I have heard also. Would love for it to happen this year as well.
Let me know if it happens before next season. I want to come down and check it out and get a few pictures. Exciting for sure :)

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Process has begun at Northwest. Old concession torn down.
CE109442-B498-4486-A9EE-8C5BD9EA442A.jpeg

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

Will Gallia ever make the transition to turf? Fairland?

State7
Waterboy

Post by State7 »

Any schools getting turf in the coming years? Or in the talks. Piketon? Unioto? West? Be neat to see those teams look into it!

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

toast wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:37 pm
eagles73Taylor wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:41 am Toast, I will be pleasantly surprised if that happens that soon at Piketon. That’s only 7 months away, now in the near future I think it will be done, plus other athletic and the arts upgrades! You can’t go wrong with permanent improvements to a school.
I kinda thought they were hoping to have turf by next season. But you would have a better idea on that than I would. It will be a nice upgrade that most are looking forward to.
Love to see Piketon get turf by next season

NW Phoenix
Waterboy

Post by NW Phoenix »

Sykotyk
Waterboy

Post by Sykotyk »

Ferndale Yellow Jackets (PA) hosting Purchase Line Red Dragons (PA) at Ferndale Stadium in Ferndale. (Week 10 this past year).

You don't see games like this that much anymore.

More pics available from that week here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sykotyk/a ... 2969478605

Photos from that game start on Page 2: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sykotyk/a ... 8605/page2

Sykotyk
Waterboy

Post by Sykotyk »

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

From my understanding, if schools set aside the same amount of money they spend for maintaining the field (labor, fuel, gas, mower maintenance, fertilizer, seed, water, paint, etc) they can easily afford the replacement of turf after its 10 year life. The major issue is the initial investment, but if you can get to that point, the turf basically pays for itself. I have heard the turf at Burg has already paid for itself after 7 seasons.

Return to “Football”