River Valley(7) @ (28)Wellston

galliagrad89
Freshman Team

Re: TVC-OHio WK6 (2-3) River Valley @ (3-2) Wellston

Post by galliagrad89 »

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:40 pm
RaiderDad wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:49 am
Dandy Don wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:29 am Sounds like Penrod's success is starting to catch some attention among area talent.
I was thinking a little farther than in town. Maybe cross a couple bridges. That's where the grass is the greenest.
Sounds like a good place. Up 35 will take him to....
I don’t think they would. Not up to their standards.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Re: TVC-OHio WK6 (2-3) River Valley @ (3-2) Wellston

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

galliagrad89 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:02 pm
X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:40 pm
RaiderDad wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:49 am

I was thinking a little farther than in town. Maybe cross a couple bridges. That's where the grass is the greenest.
Sounds like a good place. Up 35 will take him to....
I don’t think they would. Not up to their standards.
Lol gotta have them stats and be a 5th year senior to roll in

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Re: River Valley(7) @ (28)Wellston

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

It is so easy coaching in the stands! The more things change the more they stay the same. The first target is always the coach and his staff. Maybe just maybe this team is not as good as some people think it should be. That does not mean the players are bad kids but maybe just not ready to excel yet on the varsity stage. Did RV not have to start over on the offensive and defensive lines this year? They lost their bell cow player and it takes time to overcome that. You always say that one player does not make or break a team but if that one is a vital part of the team it can be very difficult to overcome the loss. Played with and seen guys not play much as freshmen and sophomore be all-state as a junior and senior. Coach Sparling has done a nice job building the program stay the course. One year down turn and we are throwing him and the staff under bus. As for the hitting in practice the rules have changed as to how much full scale hitting that is now allowed. Yea a coach can do more but if something happens you do not want to see how bad it would get then-yea times have changed.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

MTSWNGRVSG wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:49 pm It is so easy coaching in the stands! The more things change the more they stay the same. The first target is always the coach and his staff. Maybe just maybe this team is not as good as some people think it should be. That does not mean the players are bad kids but maybe just not ready to excel yet on the varsity stage. Did RV not have to start over on the offensive and defensive lines this year? They lost their bell cow player and it takes time to overcome that. You always say that one player does not make or break a team but if that one is a vital part of the team it can be very difficult to overcome the loss. Played with and seen guys not play much as freshmen and sophomore be all-state as a junior and senior. Coach Sparling has done a nice job building the program stay the course. One year down turn and we are throwing him and the staff under bus. As for the hitting in practice the rules have changed as to how much full scale hitting that is now allowed. Yea a coach can do more but if something happens you do not want to see how bad it would get then-yea times have changed.
This! Great post!

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

MTSWNGRVSG wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:49 pm It is so easy coaching in the stands! The more things change the more they stay the same. The first target is always the coach and his staff. Maybe just maybe this team is not as good as some people think it should be. That does not mean the players are bad kids but maybe just not ready to excel yet on the varsity stage. Did RV not have to start over on the offensive and defensive lines this year? They lost their bell cow player and it takes time to overcome that. You always say that one player does not make or break a team but if that one is a vital part of the team it can be very difficult to overcome the loss. Played with and seen guys not play much as freshmen and sophomore be all-state as a junior and senior. Coach Sparling has done a nice job building the program stay the course. One year down turn and we are throwing him and the staff under bus. As for the hitting in practice the rules have changed as to how much full scale hitting that is now allowed. Yea a coach can do more but if something happens you do not want to see how bad it would get then-yea times have changed.
The truth.

Bucknut0
Waterboy

Post by Bucknut0 »

Yes this post is true but the thing is that has always under achieved. The reason there was success that one year was because of the players he had. As a parent having a son in the program I see first hand. The program is only about a select few. Who have they ever beat with a winning record except for the playoff year. They all had losing records as mentioned earlier.

RaiderDad
Waterboy

Post by RaiderDad »

When the coaches in the stands know what plays are about to be ran there's a problem. If we as fans know what's coming do you not think the opposing coach knows?
As far as rules changing, I understand that point. However there is zero hitting being done at RV practices. It's play to the thump. That translates to playing to the thump in games and a bunch of missed and broken tackles.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Yea it was pretty simple atleast wellston would run a sweep here and there that qb is all rv had

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Thanks for this Coach. This sport is the hardest to coach and succeed in. As a Raider alum, I'm happy with what coach Sparling has built. This team is simply in a down year. You can tell they have a new line. That is why the offense is limited. But what can you do? No way he's going anywhere anytime soon. He's had success and will have it again.

As far as hittting in practice, it's like that everywhere. "Tackling drills" are essentially a thing of the past. You do most of you're hitting in team. Physicality is not taught by beating the crap out of each other in practice. Coach Sparling may not be the best actual Coach the Raiders have ever had, as RV really has had good ones, including Merrill Triplett, but he's been the best at selling the program that I've seen, and that in turn gets your talent out. More talent is obviously good for a program. And he does know the X's and O's as well, but I think his ability to sell the program and getting kids to buy in is his best attribute and that's what RV was missing for so long.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

RaiderDad wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:52 pm
When the coaches in the stands know what plays are about to be ran there's a problem. If we as fans know what's coming do you not think the opposing coach knows?
As far as rules changing, I understand that point. However there is zero hitting being done at RV practices. It's play to the thump. That translates to playing to the thump in games and a bunch of missed and broken tackles.
Have you noticed that most kids don't really know how to tackle anymore? As far as knowing what's coming, any good coach can pretty much pick up what the other team is doing if they are any good at breaking down film. Much of the key is having players with the ability and discipline to stop it.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Besides in all honesty, who are you gonna get that's better? Seriously who? Who the hell wants to Coach at River Valley that is sure fire and has had success at other places?

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Have seen RV 4 times this year and honestly did not pay that much attention to the play calling, I will watch that the Alexander game. Like has been stated earlier there are no secrets now a days as to what a team is going to run. Every coach has tendencies, some more complicated than others. Every coach knew what Ironton was going to do when Bob Lutz was coaching there-run off tackle to the left with the FB. If you stopped it the QB would pull it out and option the corner. The question was if you could stop it.

I am not going to be able to say anything to change your mind so do what you feel is best for your son. RV has 36 on the roster, GA has 46, Point Pleasant has 65. I do not know how many Jackson and Oak Hill have on there roster but was told by someone from a school that played them it looked like an army. If you want him to play at what is right now the best go to Wheelersburg-the coach is from Gallia County. Good luck!

Just want to add this, before Coach Sparling came to River Valley. River Valley was what coaches referred to as a three envelop job; envelop 1 transition year, envelop 2 the staff, envelop 3 your resignation. As you are cleaning out your desk make out three more envelopes for the next coach.

RockAndAHardPlace
Waterboy

Post by RockAndAHardPlace »

Coach Sparling isn't at all what people think he is. As a former RV player I know this system in and out. I know who and how he is. Between him calling the same 1 to 2 plays over and him just treating the 2 coaches that are good for the team terrible, he has no idea how to run a team. He road on the coat tails of the only 3 teams that were any good. Sparling took the 2013 team, the single most talented team to ever walk RVs halls and failed miserably and all because they were "un-coachable". As for the 3 successful years we where great before he took control of us.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

RockAndAHardPlace wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:27 pm Coach Sparling isn't at all what people think he is. As a former RV player I know this system in and out. I know who and how he is. Between him calling the same 1 to 2 plays over and him just treating the 2 coaches that are good for the team terrible, he has no idea how to run a team. He road on the coat tails of the only 3 teams that were any good. Sparling took the 2013 team, the single most talented team to ever walk RVs halls and failed miserably and all because they were "un-coachable". As for the 3 successful years we where great before he took control of us.
Sorry about your experience, and who was the best is a matter of your opinion, but at this level, you don't win by just relying on talent. No high school coach rides players "coat tails". Did you ever think maybe the problem was the players if your team under achieved? Funny how he won with a supposedly inferior group the next two years after that. I played on a team when I was a senior that followed what was at the time the best team RV had fielded record wise. I'd argue some of the early teams were better but just played much much tougher competition in a league they shouldn't have been in. Anyhow, that team when I was a senior, who was very talented, finished 2-8 with a good head coach. Why? Because we blew it. Winning wasn't a priority. For a lot, football wasn't even a priority. We just underachieved because of piss poor effort. Plain and simple.

Anyway, bad coaches don't win at the high school level, and sometimes, good coaches don't either if they don't have players who are willing and able to get it done.

RVRaiderFan
All State

Post by RVRaiderFan »

This is the exact reason behind the difference of winning and losing, and what that can do to fans and players. People are talking about RV plays and other teams knowing what's coming. I broadcast RVs games....last night Wellston ran the same 3-4 dam plays all night!! But, because they are winning, it is all good and no bickering! Prime example of a team having a winning season and a losing season. Let's move on to Homecoming and Alexander!

Once A Raider, Always A Raider!
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Hey guys, it's time to move on from this topic. I'm locking this thread. It went on to long as it is.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!

Return to “Football”