Downs out at Vinton County

Dundas
SEOPS

Downs out at Vinton County

Post by Dundas »

The school board voted to non renew Coach Jeff Downs contract (3-2) as VCHS football coach. I’ll have more information later but it looks like VC will be another school looking for a new head coach this offseason.

Maroon/Grey
Waterboy

Re: Downs out at Vinton County

Post by Maroon/Grey »

Wow, you had some good coaches on that staff. Only people that it hurts is the kids.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I'm not shocked....

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

He beats Wellston and Nelsonville York and gets fired? WTH

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

I don't get it either.

Maroon/Grey
Waterboy

Post by Maroon/Grey »

Just wait , I bet in the next few weeks. will find out VC School Board had something personal toward Downs or someone else on coaching staff. Thats usually the only reason school board votes down any coaching staff in VC.

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

2000-present at VC

With Downs: 30-31 (49.2%)
W/O Downs: 30-100 (30%)

Great move 🙄

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

This is head scratching. Don’t be surprised if kids bail on the program

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Poo Bear wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:15 pm This is head scratching. Don’t be surprised if kids bail on the program
Or maybe some kids return?

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Never know

Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Waterboy

Post by Zaphod_Beeblebrox »

This doesn't mean downs is fired as I understand it. this means the position is opened up for anyone to apply or reapply. Vc is basically saying the coaching job is up for the best candidate to win it. and that guy could still be Downs if he re applies. The scandals(transfers) that went on last year prob had the writing on the wall for something to happen like this. But to say this only hurts the kids I think is a bit of an overstatement. Lets be realistic here. If its downs or Bill Parcells the kids will be fine either way. Not like Vc is popping out D1 athletes. settle down

“Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”
Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

This does hurt the kids. It also hurts the administration, though. Now, they have to search for a coach, do interviews and then wait on the board to approve or deny the hire. Who knows how long this will take? It may be April or May before a coach is hired. And in the meantime, no weightlifting, no workouts, no summer schedule being planned. This is why it hurts the kids.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Didn’t see that coming.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Waterboy

I would assume most of the kids are in basketball or wrestling now. and in spring track or baseball. either way there are several old posts on vc football about horrible off season turn out. im sure by April to may they will have a coach and if they do no kid will miss a workout. if your not doing anything and want to workout join a spring sports. Again, no kids are being hurt by changing the coach or keeping him. its just a sad way to get pitty for the program. coaches get fired all time. If you want your poor kids thing to stick lets see if VC can get 30 to 40 kids to offseason workouts with the new coach. Bet they don't do it then either.

“Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”
Cornhusker
Waterboy

Post by Cornhusker »

Bad look for VC. No consistency with the football program, and this will set it back yet again. Hire a new coach, parents complain, rinse and repeat every 2-3 years.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Sid Farkus wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:33 am This does hurt the kids. It also hurts the administration, though. Now, they have to search for a coach, do interviews and then wait on the board to approve or deny the hire. Who knows how long this will take? It may be April or May before a coach is hired. And in the meantime, no weightlifting, no workouts, no summer schedule being planned. This is why it hurts the kids.
I'm sure the weight room isn't going to be padlocked because they don't have a coach lol
The kids who aren't playing a winter sport can still lift lol

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

The worst part is when they hired Downs they could have had Jackie O. Incidentally, Jackie O was voted Coach of he Year this past season. Now, let the search for a coach with a "catchy nickname" and who is a "proven winner" begin. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
meatswinger
JV Team

Post by meatswinger »

Ground Buck wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:56 pm The worst part is when they hired Downs they could have had Jackie O. Incidentally, Jackie O was voted Coach of he Year this past season. Now, let the search for a coach with a "catchy nickname" and who is a "proven winner" begin. :mrgreen:
Didn't they have a guy named Brick Walls apply last time? I'd heard he was a great motivator and kids loved him. I wonder if he'll apply again? And "Dutch." Didn't "Dutch" apply too? They'll get a plethora of candidates if it's anything like last time. If not, bring back Jesty if he's still there. He was a "proven winner" at least.

Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Waterboy

where can you find the job posting when it becomes officially open?

meatswinger
JV Team

Post by meatswinger »

I don't claim to be in the know about this but have been on social media with some friends over that way and here are some names being tossed around:

Jackie O
Jesty
Dutch
Brick Walls
Martin
Jack J
Davy
The Gambler
The Long Shot
Paladin
Urban

I don't know most of those guys but the names look good. Should be a quality group of interviews.

Return to “Football”