Downs out at Vinton County

Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Waterboy

Re: Downs out at Vinton County

Post by Zaphod_Beeblebrox »

if you had to pick between bethel and Curtis wouldn't bethel win by a landslide. the biggest negative to both is experience. Lindner was by no means at the level of athlete Bethel was. and its a huge difference in assistant coaching a d2 college and being the babysitter of Jackson ironman weight room. I just don't think Curtis has the resume yet. I'm sure he is a student of the game. kid was smart in school. But for him to be a head coach is a little early.

“Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”
hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Nothing against Curtis, and I haven't spoken with him, but he has a very nice position at Jackson. He is teaching math, just like his father, newly married, and a position on Jackson team that has playoff potential every year. At 25 or 26 years of age, I am not sure that he is ready, or would he think that he is ready to accept a big role like this. He is a very smart young man, he knows opportunities like these will present themselves again.

As far as Travis, haven't spoken to him either, but he has a job that he does a lot of traveling. It is actually a pretty cool job. I also think that he had applied for this position twice before, this would be the third time, I am not sure that he would want to go through that again.

Whoever gets this job, could see success right away, there is a very nice mix of experience and athletic youth. The freshmen and sophomore classes are loaded with talent. Hopefully, they continue to play.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:41 am Nothing against Curtis, and I haven't spoken with him, but he has a very nice position at Jackson. He is teaching math, just like his father, newly married, and a position on Jackson team that has playoff potential every year. At 25 or 26 years of age, I am not sure that he is ready, or would he think that he is ready to accept a big role like this. He is a very smart young man, he knows opportunities like these will present themselves again.

As far as Travis, haven't spoken to him either, but he has a job that he does a lot of traveling. It is actually a pretty cool job. I also think that he had applied for this position twice before, this would be the third time, I am not sure that he would want to go through that again.

Whoever gets this job, could see success right away, there is a very nice mix of experience and athletic youth. The freshmen and sophomore classes are loaded with talent. Hopefully, they continue to play.
Hawk, I have a legit question. Why in the world hasn’t Matt queen been given another chance. He loves coaching , loves football, still lives in town . Is my understanding he has been interested in coming back since he was removed (not his choice)

wildcat76
Waterboy

Post by wildcat76 »

Matt Queen - Program Builder and a Great Coach

Sports101
Freshman Team

Post by Sports101 »

Heard either river valley or south gallias coach wanted the job.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Poo, I spoke to him a few years back and asked him if he missed it, he said, no. I think he was enjoying his time and got the impression he had no desire to coach. I was surprised when I heard he was coaching again at Southeastern. He was on the Nate and Lugs' podcast and he stated then that he came out of retirement for his friend. So to answer your question, I don't think he is interested. I could be wrong. But, he has never applied when this job was open the four times since.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:55 pm Poo, I spoke to him a few years back and asked him if he missed it, he said, no. I think he was enjoying his time and got the impression he had no desire to coach. I was surprised when I heard he was coaching again at Southeastern. He was on the Nate and Lugs' podcast and he stated then that he came out of retirement for his friend. So to answer your question, I don't think he is interested. I could be wrong. But, he has never applied when this job was open the four times since.

I agree Hawk. I’m not sure Queen would be interested in taking a head coaching job but it’s possible that the success he is having on SE staff could give him the itch again. It’ll be interesting to see the names of applicants when they start coming through. I do have a pretty good feeling that travis Bethel will be applying again though. As well as Shane Wellman and a few others.

Have you heard anything about a formation of a committee? I know when coach downs was hired, a committee was created.

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

Dundas wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:53 pm
hawkeyepierce wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:55 pm Poo, I spoke to him a few years back and asked him if he missed it, he said, no. I think he was enjoying his time and got the impression he had no desire to coach. I was surprised when I heard he was coaching again at Southeastern. He was on the Nate and Lugs' podcast and he stated then that he came out of retirement for his friend. So to answer your question, I don't think he is interested. I could be wrong. But, he has never applied when this job was open the four times since.

I agree Hawk. I’m not sure Queen would be interested in taking a head coaching job but it’s possible that the success he is having on SE staff could give him the itch again. It’ll be interesting to see the names of applicants when they start coming through. I do have a pretty good feeling that travis Bethel will be applying again though. As well as Shane Wellman and a few others.

Have you heard anything about a formation of a committee? I know when coach downs was hired, a committee was created.
Is there a possibility that it could Downs can reapply?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

ravensfan09 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:41 pm
Dundas wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:53 pm

Is there a possibility that it could Downs can reapply?

Yes, downs can re apply and be in the pool of candidates. However, I don’t know if he will or not.

Charleswinchester
Waterboy

Post by Charleswinchester »

To answer a few questions Matt queen has applied every time . Once again not given a chance. Everyone wants to speak on downs record look at queens against a lot tougher schedule. He is good in the community and was good with the kids was also removed after 1 losing season My question is why would he want to come back ? I personally think you should go with the proven coach and add the younger ones to staff for experience. My belief is you need to change the culture around there good luck to who ever gets it but if Matt queen applies give it to him he turns young men into men he helped me change a lot and I’m thankful for that

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:41 am Nothing against Curtis, and I haven't spoken with him, but he has a very nice position at Jackson. He is teaching math, just like his father, newly married, and a position on Jackson team that has playoff potential every year. At 25 or 26 years of age, I am not sure that he is ready, or would he think that he is ready to accept a big role like this. He is a very smart young man, he knows opportunities like these will present themselves again.

I will add that he is the boys varsity track coach and enjoys that as well.

Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Waterboy

Post by Zaphod_Beeblebrox »

been checking ohsaa and nothing on vc head coaching position yet. Did someone say it was open to public?

“Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”
Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Zaphod_Beeblebrox wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:47 pm been checking ohsaa and nothing on vc head coaching position yet. Did someone say it was open to public?
I checked today and it’s still not there. I’m not sure if they are looking in house first or what? I would hope that we open it up and look at ALL available options. If not, then this is just a waste of time...

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Dundas wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:59 am
Zaphod_Beeblebrox wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:47 pm been checking ohsaa and nothing on vc head coaching position yet. Did someone say it was open to public?
I checked today and it’s still not there. I’m not sure if they are looking in house first or what? I would hope that we open it up and look at ALL available options. If not, then this is just a waste of time...
It has to be posted in house for so many days before it can be posted publicly. I'd say by Monday they will open up the search.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

The opening has been posted to the VCLSD website. Here is the link,

http://www.vinton.k12.oh.us/protected/A ... &dasi=3G0Y

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jason Snider any chance?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:20 pm Jason Snider any chance?
I’ve heard his name but have not confirmed he is interested or has applied.

Teufelhunden
Freshman Team

Post by Teufelhunden »

Been contacted about this job again. Last time didn't make the cut, so I'd say no way you could have had me last time and wouldn't be where you are today. SMDH

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

job posted on www.ohsaa.org

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Teufelhunden wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:08 am Been contacted about this job again. Last time didn't make the cut, so I'd say no way you could have had me last time and wouldn't be where you are today. SMDH
Who are you?

Return to “Football”