2019 OVC

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

2019 OVC

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

I would think with what they have returning, Ironton should be the favorite.
Portsmouth with Taylon Parker and a good group of skilled guys should be close, will need to break in linemen on both sides of the ball though.

I believe Gallia graduates a lot from their OVC championship team

Normally tough Coal Grove will be breaking in a new coach, so it will be interesting to see the direction he takes them.

South point will be improved but I expect to still struggle

Rock Hill I don’t know

Fairland always athletic

Chesapeake don’t know but normally a tough out.

Someone fill me in one their take of 2019 OVC.

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Re: 2019 OVC

Post by Pa Trojan »

Its going to be tough to replace the front for the Trojans,but I believe in Coach Kaub and the staff he has in place

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:08 pm I would think with what they have returning, Ironton should be the favorite.
Portsmouth with Taylon Parker and a good group of skilled guys should be close, will need to break in linemen on both sides of the ball though.

I believe Gallia graduates a lot from their OVC championship team

Normally tough Coal Grove will be breaking in a new coach, so it will be interesting to see the direction he takes them.

South point will be improved but I expect to still struggle

Rock Hill I don’t know

Fairland always athletic

Chesapeake don’t know but normally a tough out.

Someone fill me in one their take of 2019 OVC.
I’d go
Ironton
Rock Hill (surprise team)
Grove
Portsmouth
Gallia
Fairland
Chesapeake
Point

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

I would say Ironton, Coal Grove, Fairland, Gallia, Rock Hill, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, South Point. Trojanfb, I base my rankings on Ironton returns a lot and will make playoffs, If you have no lines it be be a struggle to score and a 500 record for Portsmouth will be a stretch at that.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I'd love to see multiple ovc teams in the playoffs again.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

I have faith that coach Kalb and coach Cadogan will get a line together for Portsmouth. Taylon will help hide their inexperience early, while going through some growing pains. I don’t expect to be throwing it all over the field but I expect an improved passing game which will ease the burden on them and Taylon.
No disrespect to this past years line but outside of Bowem none were dominate, I believe Taylon made them look better then they may have been. They played their butts off though and that’s all I can ask for. We will find 5 guys that will do the same, and be fine. A great back makes a a line look better then they are. That showed when we played teams with better D, see the games against West, Gallia Academy, and Maddison.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Ironton I think wins the ovc. Portsmouth will compete for it if 2 things get worked on. Offense and defensive line. Every line spot should be up for grabs. A quarterback. Without this we are in trouble. Need a qb who can throw when needed. Every school seen what Portsmouth brought and It will be no surprise this year. We have fast receivers who are open most of the game. Inexperienced qb just didn’t see them a lot. I think fairland will surprise a lot. I think they will be third on the ovc. My picks are Ironton, Portsmouth, fairland,Chesapeake,gallia, Rock hill, coal grove and south point. South point I hope improves. They have a good qb and receivers. Also Portsmouth needs to do 7 vs 7 drills. Make the young qb comfortable calling plays and getting his arm on point.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Riding the Bench

Post by 645945 »

1. Ironton: return a lot of skilled backs three headed monster if the line play is good they will be the favorites. If the turnover bug gets fixed and defense gets better they will be tough to beat they are the favorite to win the league as of now.

2.portsmouth: Parker one of the best backs in the area if replacement lineman are there they will push for the title.

3. Gallipolis: return 3 lineman up front and have good replacement for the other 2 spots. Hard to replace a 3 year starting QB and the district defensive player of the year. But a lot of the pieces remain from last years championship team don’t count out the blue devils they will have more team speed than any other team in the conference.

4. Rock hill: good group of kids if they limit turnovers they will be hard to beat. Ball control is key for the red men. Defense need to get better.

5. Fairland: This is probably to low a rank for the dragons they have a lot of skill guys back that were highly decorated when the season completed. O- line needs to improve and defense needs work, but they have the ability to win any game they play in Conference.

6.Chesapeake: much like Fairland good skill guys line needs work defense needs improving. Team speed is there need a way to get those horses loose can’t fall asleep on the panthers.

7. Coal Grove: lost as much talent as anyone from last years team. And getting to know a new system will be a tough year for the hornets. They may be able to roll but only time will tell. Good back returning. This is a hard guess lower grades have been competitive can the young classes step up and surprise?

8. South point: it is a game of numbers and south point is getting more out. Hard to guess what the pointers will be.

It will be a good year of football in the OVC overall a stronger Ironton and Portsmouth is good for se Ohio in general. This is just what I think, all these teams will be really close and a multiple playoff showing can happen out of the OVC again.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

If Ironton can improve in the secondary, they might be able to make 2019 a lot better than 2018.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Gallia is replacing a lot of pieces I will give you that. But they have a lot pieces ready to go. I don’t think the blue devils will be 9-1 good but they will be very tough. From what I get weight room attandence has been great. Seen Armstrong yesterday. He won’t just be a receiver and outside rushing threat. Him and Woodson both look like they have been working out since day season ended.

What you do just replace is Mcellend. Not just a 3 year starter. But very smart and a leader. QB wise as a passer wecwill be ok at QB but we will be learning as a decision maker but Penrod has a way of turning boys into leaders in a hurry

Yikes
Riding the Bench

Post by Yikes »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:03 pm I have faith that coach Kalb and coach Cadogan will get a line together for Portsmouth. Taylon will help hide their inexperience early, while going through some growing pains. I don’t expect to be throwing it all over the field but I expect an improved passing game which will ease the burden on them and Taylon.
No disrespect to this past years line but outside of Bowem none were dominate, I believe Taylon made them look better then they may have been. They played their butts off though and that’s all I can ask for. We will find 5 guys that will do the same, and be fine. A great back makes a a line look better then they are. That showed when we played teams with better D, see the games against West, Gallia Academy, and Maddison.
This is the exact same thing that was said about the line that graduated with the 2017-2018 Trojan football team. 5 Offensive line graduated and everyone said that the Trojans were going to be limited by their line and that was not the case. Make no mistake, Colin Boehm was and is really good, but the others were pretty good too. They may not have had the D1 size, but they definitely had strength and heart. It really shows on their highlight reels. You can definitly trust that Coach Kalb and Coach Cadogan can get these boys ready physically and mentally, they did it last off season.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Yikes wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:04 am
Trojan_FB_Alum wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:03 pm I have faith that coach Kalb and coach Cadogan will get a line together for Portsmouth. Taylon will help hide their inexperience early, while going through some growing pains. I don’t expect to be throwing it all over the field but I expect an improved passing game which will ease the burden on them and Taylon.
This is the exact same thing that was said about the line that graduated with the 2017-2018 Trojan football team. 5 Offensive line graduated and everyone said that the Trojans were going to be limited by their line and that was not the case. Make no mistake, Colin Boehm was and is really good, but the others were pretty good too. They may not have had the D1 size, but they definitely had strength and heart. It really shows on their highlight reels. You can definitly trust that Coach Kalb and Coach Cadogan can get these boys ready physically and mentally, they did it last off season.
I agree. There are some kids that are really strong in the weight room. Some juniors who didn’t play that are chomping at the bit to play varsity. The confidence is there. Coaches will have to put a little extra work in for the lines but I think will be ok.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

This exactly what I’m saying too. The athelets are there for another strong or maybe even better season. Yes some inexperience will be there but that’s high school football, it’s next man up, mentality. After a very rough 15 years or so of Trojan football, I believe last year showed that we have finally turned the corner, and are headed in the direction of a competitive program, year in and year out. We finally know what it feels like to win, and I’m sure our boys want to feel that again and more.

Coach Kalb and Coach Cadogan we’re both winners at the high school level, and Coach Cadogan at the College level. They know what hard work gets you and they are passing that along to this team, and it’s starting to show.

What I’m most interested in is seeing if Coach Kalb is able to open up the playbook more in his second season and develop a passing threat. When you have a Taylon Parker he will always be the center piece of your offense but I expect to see a wider array of plays this year. Although we don’t want to look to far ahead, we will still have to prepare for life after Taylon, or god forbid if there is an injury.

allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

I was correct last year when laughed at and ridiculed for going with gallia. This year my prediction has ironton on top but I still think gallia has enough to give them a run for their money. Gallia will have a running back that stood out to me he is fast, skinny but fast. Both teams will win or lose through defense and ironton should have the chance to go undefeated. We will find out what we got in August.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

OVC will be Stronger got to give Ironton as the leader ! To make noise

Beergogglebluez
SE

Geronimo wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:22 pm OVC will be Stronger got to give Ironton as the leader ! To make noise
They would have to be the front runner right now. There schedule outside the conference is rough.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:06 pm This exactly what I’m saying too. The athelets are there for another strong or maybe even better season. Yes some inexperience will be there but that’s high school football, it’s next man up, mentality. After a very rough 15 years or so of Trojan football, I believe last year showed that we have finally turned the corner, and are headed in the direction of a competitive program, year in and year out. We finally know what it feels like to win, and I’m sure our boys want to feel that again and more.

Coach Kalb and Coach Cadogan we’re both winners at the high school level, and Coach Cadogan at the College level. They know what hard work gets you and they are passing that along to this team, and it’s starting to show.

What I’m most interested in is seeing if Coach Kalb is able to open up the playbook more in his second season and develop a passing threat. When you have a Taylon Parker he will always be the center piece of your offense but I expect to see a wider array of plays this year. Although we don’t want to look to far ahead, we will still have to prepare for life after Taylon, or god forbid if there is an injury.
You have to open the playbook up. I think we had situations last year if we could pass we would of won. West game. We couldn’t run at all. Airing it out I think we could of won that game. Gallia game if we passed possibly some points on the board. Coal grove not sure what happened lol. Portsmouth has fast receivers and on film a lot were open every game. I think lattimore just didn’t have the experience to throw. He was a first year starter. I think If we had a passing game in Middletown we could of won that game. Or at least put points on the board. Running game is our strength but you don’t see many successful one dimensional teams. I’m looking forward to next season.

Blue/92
Riding the Bench

Post by Blue/92 »

allamericanironman wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:50 pm I was correct last year when laughed at and ridiculed for going with gallia. This year my prediction has ironton on top but I still think gallia has enough to give them a run for their money. Gallia will have a running back that stood out to me he is fast, skinny but fast. Both teams will win or lose through defense and ironton should have the chance to go undefeated. We will find out what we got in August.
I see Gallia at 7-3, maybe 8-2. A lot of people are doubting Gallia with the loss of Campbell, Pullins, and McClelland. Gallia will still have one of the best lines on both side of the ball in the OVC if not the best. Roberts will lead the linebacker corps and Donovsky will be leading the DB’s. Armstrong and a plethora of speedy backs and wide-outs will keep opposing defenses on their toes. The boys are hungry and Penrod will have them ready!

Spike
Riding the Bench

Post by Spike »

Blue/92 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:13 am
allamericanironman wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:50 pm I was correct last year when laughed at and ridiculed for going with gallia. This year my prediction has ironton on top but I still think gallia has enough to give them a run for their money. Gallia will have a running back that stood out to me he is fast, skinny but fast. Both teams will win or lose through defense and ironton should have the chance to go undefeated. We will find out what we got in August.
I see Gallia at 7-3, maybe 8-2. A lot of people are doubting Gallia with the loss of Campbell, Pullins, and McClelland. Gallia will still have one of the best lines on both side of the ball in the OVC if not the best. Roberts will lead the linebacker corps and Donovsky will be leading the DB’s. Armstrong and a plethora of speedy backs and wide-outs will keep opposing defenses on their toes. The boys are hungry and Penrod will have them ready!
I think Ironton will have something to say about having the best line , we started a lot of freshman and sophomores last year and the improvement from game one to game 11 was incredible, ironton did lose a good one in Rowe but from what everyone is telling me we’ve added a very good one by means of transfer , I seen him at the basketball game last night the boy is huge , 6”4 or 5 300 plus and hearing rumors of another lineman coming back to Ironton I know he’s good , look for Reed to have a monster year if this kid is as good as I hear and maybe adding another

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Talked to Coach Kalb and he told me that he has 60 kids out for football, a significant increase.......hopefully there will be little or no attrition with those numbers. Finding a capable QB and replacing most of the Oline presents a major challenge for the coaching staff. Of course having Talyn back is a huge plus, but even as great as he is, he needs blocking by the guys up front, and an adequate passing game to make the Trojans less one dimensional. Having a passing game also could produce a standout WR, which is another position that we should develop.

Defense has always been an issue with me.......yes, we made the playoffs, but Gallia, Coal Grove, Chesapeake, and Valley all scored more than 30 points, and Ironton scored 28. We still have to improve our defense. Trying to outscore teams is not a great formula for winning......we got by last year with a porous defense, but there's no guarantee that it will happen again in 2019.

The kicking game looks solid with the Bowling kid. He is virtually automatic with extra points.

Coach Kalb and his staff did an outstanding job leading the Trojans into the 2018 playoffs, but there are major holes to fill for 2019. If we don't get production out of the QB and passing game, and the Oline doesn't jell, then it may be up to the defense to win some games......and that really makes me nervous.

GO TROJANS!!

Return to “Football”