Doug Montavon out at Northwest

mattash
Site Admin

Doug Montavon out at Northwest

Post by mattash »

"This past Tuesday at their organizational meeting the school board terminated my contract as head varsity football coach with 1 year remaining on my 3 year contract. I have enjoyed coaching at Northwest at various levels for 15 years. I have met many great people from the community and got to coach some great young men. It has been an honor to have been the 7th head coach at Northwest in the 21st century. I would like to thank the district and community for giving me that opportunity. I have been fortunate enough to help the previous 6 head coaches in some capacity after graduating in 2001 and I would like to thank all those who have helped me in my seasons at the helm. I believe we have set the groundwork for a bright future and Northwest is primed to have a great season next year and those after. Though I’m saddened that I will not be a part of Northwest football any longer I would like to wish the players and new coaching staff the best of luck on the field."

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Doug Montavon out at Northwest

Post by Omega »

Classy statement by the departing coach.

The revolving door continues at McDermott to the detriment of the Mohawk football program. Maybe the BOE can take turns coaching. (sarcasm)

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

This is one reason why the program struggles at Northwest, there is no stability past 2 years 3 if the players are lucky. I see Montavon on a sideline somewhere this fall.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I wonder if them adding visitor bleachers, turf and new locker room facilities will increase interest in this position?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I have heard for countless years that the Board of Education members are the problem at Northwest.

It's a shame because in situations like that --- it is the kids who suffer.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Seems like another case, of adults screwing things up for kids.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Don’t mean this to sound like an insult, but does Northwest think they will find a better coach then Coach Montavon? Just don’t see a long list of quality coaches lining up to take over a D5 program in rural southern Ohio that covers the area that the district does, that also plays in a predominate d7 league and has historically struggled to field competitive teams.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

It's probably time for NW to decide whether or not to keep their football program going. Sad thing is they got some good classes coming, but when you're changing coaches every 2 years, it doesn't matter much. With their recent success in soccer and its growing interest in the community, might be time for some serious discussions. Getting rid of Montavon makes no sense but is sadly par for the course out there.*

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

art_vandelay wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:25 pm It's probably time for NW to decide whether or not to keep their football program going. Sad thing is they got some good classes coming, but when you're changing coaches every 2 years, it doesn't matter much. With their recent success in soccer and its growing interest in the community, might be time for some serious discussions. Getting rid of Montavon makes no sense but is sadly par for the course out there.*
I don't even think that's an option, and very strange that anyone would even question that. All the money that is being invested for new facilities, last year's team was young and very very predictable offensively. However, they did have probably 40-50 man roster at least so numbers aren't an issue. Can they find a quality coach to take over a young team with brand new facilities, possibly. As much as it's going to be the coach that needs to convince the board, I feel the board needs to explain themselves and sell their program as well. Because you can't churn out coaches and expect someone of any quality to want the job.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

greygoose: forgot about the new facilities so yeah, that not an option now. But until their BOE gives a coach time (i.e. more than 2 years) to establish a program, what decent coach would want this job?

Plus, even if the program becomes stable again, NW might be shipped back up to SOC II in next few years, so it gonna be a tough sell. Only thing I can figure is they already have somebody they want lined up to take job and that's why they made the move.*

NW Phoenix
Waterboy

Post by NW Phoenix »

I believe this upcoming year was Montavon's 4th.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

NW Phoenix wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:07 am I believe this upcoming year was Montavon's 4th.
I was thinking the same thing. I believe they have had 2 coaches in the last 10 years.
The problem I see at Northwest is not putting in the time and effort in the off season. I think the new facility may help with that. Their is some really good young talent coming up, they seem to be willing to work hard. Only time will tell.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Whoever gets the job, the administration should Support 💯 and the parents should get behind the staff. Running double reverses and blitzing the A gap with developed kids may result in 48-6 peewee or junior high wins but that doesn’t equate at the varsity level

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

NW Phoenix wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:07 am I believe this upcoming year was Montavon's 4th.
The first post of this thread by mattash appears to be a quote from Coach Montavon. He states he had 1 year left of a 3 year contract. I don’t know which is correct but that is what it says.

NW Phoenix
Waterboy

Post by NW Phoenix »

Thinking he originally had a 1 year contract and then received a 3 year contract. I believe he was coach for 3 years and was headed into his 4th year. Whoever they hire, I wish them the best of luck.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

I thought all supplemental contracts in schools were one year? I have never heard of somebody having a three year contract to coach football. Especially in southern Ohio.

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

petesweaty wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:01 pm I thought all supplemental contracts in schools were one year? I have never heard of somebody having a three year contract to coach football. Especially in southern Ohio.
I believe that coaches can be promised an extended contract, but are only issued one contract at a time.

NW Phoenix
Waterboy

Post by NW Phoenix »

Pretty positive this was his 3rd year of a 3 year contract and he previously had a 1 year.

bocephus1
Waterboy

Post by bocephus1 »

This isn’t a new problem. This has been going on for YEARS!! They have had some of the best coaches in the area. The BOE isn’t to blame on this one... they are good people with former players sitting on the Board. They are only trying to do what they believe is the right thing for kids. Sorry if that isn’t what everyone wants to hear.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

classy statement from the coach. I have a question about northwest football. I think I may know the answer but I really have no idea about northwest football. is the problem with their football program why they are widespread and it's a farming community. I know they used to be in the bigger division of the soc. in fact I think they are one of the largest schools in the soc enrollment wise. but are in the smallest division. I mean no disrespect. and truly I'm asking because I don't know. what needs changed to make them more competitive football wise. is the talent there. is it coaching. lack of funding for a coach there. how is northwest at other sports like basketball and baseball. are they less competitive in football than other sports. just curious about this. again, I mean no disrespect. and I thought the coach's post was very classy and wish him luck in his further endeavors.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS

Return to “Football”