2019 DV Region 20

Poo Bear
SEOP

Re: 2019 DV Region 20

Post by Poo Bear »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:54 am So Burg was 6 boys away from D4 this past year, and had a competitive balance of plus 30. Burg always tells us that those kids have been at Burg since elementary so each of them counts as a plus 1 for competitive balance.
The freshman class is 39 kids bigger then the senior class, let’s assume that it’s equal boys and girls so burg would rise 19 boys in enrollment. Meaning with their current CB they would be 13 boys over D4 cut. So either kids are leaving, Burgs CB is being cut in almost half, which I find strange as everyone tells us how many kids want to go there, or they will be in D4. We’re there 13 kids in the senior class that lived out of district? And none in the freshman? That seems unlikely.

Were the enrollment numbers listed before or after the band situation?? I was told they lost some numbers there.

Or is Burg just hoping the cut line is changed?
Kids are advised after they open enroll to move into the district as soon as they can

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Poo Bear wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:28 pm
Trojan_FB_Alum wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:54 am So Burg was 6 boys away from D4 this past year, and had a competitive balance of plus 30. Burg always tells us that those kids have been at Burg since elementary so each of them counts as a plus 1 for competitive balance.
The freshman class is 39 kids bigger then the senior class, let’s assume that it’s equal boys and girls so burg would rise 19 boys in enrollment. Meaning with their current CB they would be 13 boys over D4 cut. So either kids are leaving, Burgs CB is being cut in almost half, which I find strange as everyone tells us how many kids want to go there, or they will be in D4. We’re there 13 kids in the senior class that lived out of district? And none in the freshman? That seems unlikely.

Were the enrollment numbers listed before or after the band situation?? I was told they lost some numbers there.

Kids are advised after they open enroll to move into the district as soon as they can
Which would make sense. I think the school district you live in based on levys passed get that % of your property taxes. I would want the school my children attend or attended to get my taxes

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Personally I think they will be in DV again. But it doesn’t really matter whether they are DIV or DV. The Pirates will competitive in either one.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Lol. No they aren’t. Who comes up with this stuff? Can anyone name a transfer off of last years team from another school? That actually played junior high at a different school then came to burg. The AD said D5.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

wobycat wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:17 pm

Lol. No they aren’t. Who comes up with this stuff? Can anyone name a transfer off of last years team from another school? That actually played junior high at a different school then came to burg. The AD said D5.
From last years high school team ?

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

I know of 2. One from Ironton and one from Portsmouth.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

ravensfan09 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:47 pm

I know of 2. One from Ironton and one from Portsmouth.
I know the ironton kid came(out of frustration from his other school, and not being asked, by the way) but I don’t recall a Portsmouth kid. He must not have started. But two kids, only one that apparently started, and burg is having people buy houses in the district in order to have more kids move in? The smoke people smoke.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

I don’t know who played where in JR High that’s why I said a plus 30 and if it’s like Burg says they each count as one, meaning they have been there since JR high.

So you would think if that’s the case your CB would stay pretty consistent unless there were transfers after JR high resulting as a plus 2 for each kid. Basically you can’t have it both ways, it can’t be these 30 kids have always been here when it fits your rhetoric then no cause the CB will drop because you had a lot of tier 2 kids graduating. So which is it??

Kids advised to move into the district lol really??? I would think that sounds pretty close to recruiting. Although I’m sure nobody is advising kids to move in. Where are all these new homes at these families are moving into??
How much has Burgs enrollment increased in the last several years vs home many new homes are there??? People moving out wants their kids graduate so the next batch can live there?? Lol

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:08 pm I don’t know who played where in JR High that’s why I said a plus 30 and if it’s like Burg says they each count as one, meaning they have been there since JR high.

So you would think if that’s the case your CB would stay pretty consistent unless there were transfers after JR high resulting as a plus 2 for each kid. Basically you can’t have it both ways, it can’t be these 30 kids have always been here when it fits your rhetoric then no cause the CB will drop because you had a lot of tier 2 kids graduating. So which is it??

Kids advised to move into the district lol really??? I would think that sounds pretty close to recruiting. Although I’m sure nobody is advising kids to move in. Where are all these new homes at these families are moving into??
How much has Burgs enrollment increased in the last several years vs home many new homes are there??? People moving out wants their kids graduate so the next batch can live there?? Lol
I think the comment that was made about advising kids to move into the district, if true, was after the kid was enrolled. Wouldn’t it be hard to recruit a kid that was already going to the school?
Zillow has about 50 homes listed for sale in the burg.
15-20 lots for sale

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

Is this whole discussion about D5 Region 20? Lol

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

JTEK wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:28 pm
Trojan_FB_Alum wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:08 pm I don’t know who played where in JR High that’s why I said a plus 30 and if it’s like Burg says they each count as one, meaning they have been there since JR high.

I think the comment that was made about advising kids to move into the district, if true, was after the kid was enrolled. Wouldn’t it be hard to recruit a kid that was already going to the school?
Zillow has about 50 homes listed for sale in the burg.
15-20 lots for sale
Would still be recruiting if other younger kids in family but agree kind of a stretch.

Zillow includes anything that has a Wheelersburg mailing address even if not inside district which includes Franklin furnace, Portsmouth and Webster.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

So you guys have to realize Burg will be in DV next year, as woby said even the AD who would know the numbers has said as much. So we have the band thing which did take care of some numbers and for a time there I was told that open enrollment was closed, is it or was it true at one point I can't say 100%. There were some things that happened at Minford and I was told by parents looking to enroll their kids at Burg they were denied open enrollment. Can speculate all you want about how Burg would do in DIV, it simply doesn't matter. They have teetered with DIV/DV for sometime and always remain on the high side of DV and will again for another 2 years. Burg will always get an influx of transfers and while many believe it is "recruiting" I typically don't lean that way. They have an excellent athletic program, high community support and top education in the area. So when you look at South Webster or New Boston 2 teams that don't have football automatically a kid is going to be drawn to Burg. East right now is a mess from a football standpoint and Burg offers a better education program. Green has lost kids to Burg but we'll see with the passing of this new levy and the 2018 success if kids start staying. Burg is just in a great location, backed by so many other advantages over other schools in the area that as a parent that is where you are going to look to take your child if you're looking at schools.

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

That’s funny because my kids do open enrollment at Wheelersburg and I’ve yet to receive that memo that I need to move into the district.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Burg in D5 could win state. Burg in D4, the 5th best team in the region. Burg will have to keep that CB number down

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:24 am Burg in D5 could win state. Burg in D4, the 5th best team in the region. Burg will have to keep that CB number down
That's because they don't truly belong in d4. The school isn't that big and open enrollment must be cut off due to classroom size.

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:24 am Burg in D5 could win state. Burg in D4, the 5th best team in the region. Burg will have to keep that CB number down
Not so sure about this statement. They won the State Title in D4 in 1989.

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

I'm unsure that Burg will be a state championship caliber team this year. There will be a lot of opportunity for underclassmen to step into the positions that they have been waiting for, but a lot of unknowns going into the season. Wheelersburg always has some unknowns, but continuously fields solid, competitive teams no matter how many holes they have to fill. I don't see that being any different this year. I think 9-1 or 8-2 regular season, with yet another Regional Final appearance is within reach this year, and I am excited to see some new faces making plays for the Pirates.

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:20 pm
I'm unsure that Burg will be a state championship caliber team this year. There will be a lot of opportunity for underclassmen to step into the positions that they have been waiting for, but a lot of unknowns going into the season. Wheelersburg always has some unknowns, but continuously fields solid, competitive teams no matter how many holes they have to fill. I don't see that being any different this year. I think 9-1 or 8-2 regular season, with yet another Regional Final appearance is within reach this year, and I am excited to see some new faces making plays for the Pirates.
Totally agree. I have seen Burg have a dominant player at one position that you think is irreplaceable, and the next year they are just as good with someone else. They have a tremendous program!

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

This is where you are messing up. you are ASSuming an equal split boys/girls in reality its almost 2 girls for every boy in the current 8th grade class.
which results in a lower number of boys when compared to the senior class that is exiting

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Burg always has a shot in D5

Return to “Football”