Logan football 2019

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Logan football 2019

Post by noreply66 »

Chieftain Center.....when I click on it.....it comes up pictures of the Chieftain Center

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Any news from the winter workouts? :mrgreen:

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

noreply66 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:46 am Chieftain Center.....when I click on it.....it comes up pictures of the Chieftain Center
Oh okay. When I clicked on it, it took me to my sign in for facebook.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

moonshine wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:35 am Any news from the winter workouts? :mrgreen:
I heard there was a lot of clanging around going on out there lol

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

cbolt wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:54 pm
noreply66 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:46 am Chieftain Center.....when I click on it.....it comes up pictures of the Chieftain Center
Oh okay. When I clicked on it, it took me to my sign in for facebook.
sign into face book then come back over here to see him you can get them

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Hearing some good things. The kids and existing infrastructure are excited. Coach has visited the school multiple times. Probably won't see the full influence of his offseason program until next season since he still has responsibilities in Parkersburg and can't be here day in and day out.

I've also heard from multiple sources that Kelly Wolfe will be back on staff this fall. Very exciting news. Coach Wolfe is an excellent teacher and a better man - and kids love playing for him. It's encouraging that's he's willing to come back on staff with Coach Eddy.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Love seeing Kelly back.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

It will be awesome to coach Wolfe back on the side lines running the offense. He is a players coach, he will be a huge asset to the team and coach Eddy!

AT THE RESERVATION
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

I agree. Kelly is a plus on staff. The remaining question is, do they get more players out who dropped out ? If they do, turnaround will be quick. If not, it will be a few years on the rebuild.

Have gun, will travel
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Paladin wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:17 am I agree. Kelly is a plus on staff. The remaining question is, do they get more players out who dropped out ? If they do, turnaround will be quick. If not, it will be a few years on the rebuild.
I had a great talk with a former Chieftain great. He was a senior when Coach Mel Adams took over in 1957 and had always played football.

For reference, Coach Al Schrivner had three dismal years (54, 55, 56) going 3-6, 2-5-2, and 3-6. He went 1-1-1 against Nelsonville, including the first loss to the Hounds since 1930.

At that time, the head football coach was also given the pool supervisor job. This former player was a lifeguard at the pool along with Lynn Strait, who set the LHS rushing mark and played freshman football at Ohio State for Woody before an injury cut his career short. Strait is still a practicing MD in California.

Coach Adams spoke to these former players upon meeting them, and said "You know, they told me there was not talent at this school. Looks like that won't be a problem."

Of course Logan went 5-3-1 (and 5-1-1 in the SEOAL) in his first season and never finished worse than 5-4 including three titles (58, 63, 64) and a perfect 10-0 season in '64.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

When Mel was head coach here in Logan the under classman didn't seem to be that great. When these players went up to varsity some players played out of the positions they were use to and it seemed to work for Mel. Graduating classes of 64/65/66 gave Logan some interesting football.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Sounds like you might have been talking to Gene, Locos. I didn’t know enough about the ends and outs of coaching back then, but it sure seemed we had talent during the Scrivener years. It’s a mystery why they didn’t win. Scrivener was a blood and guts coach, chewed tobacco, spitting everywhere,lol. He ended up at Lima Senior, after he left Logan, in a big time program then where he won. Go figure.

I knew Lynn and his sister Sue was in my class. Pretty good RB who had his career cut short by injury at OSU. His Dad ran the old downtown Firestone Store. If you did speak with Gene, he was also a he11 of an athlete, both FB and basketball. The ‘58 team was co-champs with Wellston, the last year they were competitive in the SEOAL. Mel had great athletes on that team , including Bob Risch who was also Ohio St. bound.

Mel switched to the Iowa Wing T my senior year, where he had his smallest team ever at Logan and yet we ran thru people losing only 3 games, two of which were by less than 7 and a game with an Ohio Top Ten team by 3 TDs. Speed was our assets. That and mis-direction. And it helped that we had most of the athletes out while Mel was there.

Have gun, will travel
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Found Scrivner’s obit. He was 88 when he died Jan. 30, 2013 in Lima. First name Alson.

I was right. He went to Lima Sr and was there from 1958-82. He was the HC ‘62-73 winning 7 GOL titles ( Greater Ohio League) which included Middletown, Hamilton and others. Big time program. Had also coached Piqua and Ironton in addition to Logan. Was the President of the Ohio High School Football Coaches Assn. in ‘68-69.

Have gun, will travel
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Found Strait too. Now goes by his first name, James. Practicing Orthopedic Surgeon. Dr. James Lynn Strait.Has offices in both Santa Barbara and Carmel. I’ve been to both and didn’t realize he was there. I did get to drink out at a pub with Clint Eastwood , who at one time, was the Mayor of Carmel. lol. Strait is now 79.

Have gun, will travel
Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Logan has been conducting off season workouts that from what I have been told have been very demanding. A different workout every day and the kids have been working very hard. Any time I hear the word "miserable" describing the workout or the feelings after a workout lets me know this Coach is no joke Ha! He has the players working very hard this off season and he has an old school approach to things. Things like unified dress code for both practice and games for coaches; making kids responsible for their own messes and cleaning up the locker room on their own instead of making the custodian do it; just small things like that tell me this guy is going to make kids accountable for their actions and as a coach myself, I love that.

Live Like A Champion!
moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Logangrad wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:05 am Logan has been conducting off season workouts that from what I have been told have been very demanding. A different workout every day and the kids have been working very hard. Any time I hear the word "miserable" describing the workout or the feelings after a workout lets me know this Coach is no joke Ha! He has the players working very hard this off season and he has an old school approach to things. Things like unified dress code for both practice and games for coaches; making kids responsible for their own messes and cleaning up the locker room on their own instead of making the custodian do it; just small things like that tell me this guy is going to make kids accountable for their actions and as a coach myself, I love that.
That is called Ownership! :mrgreen:

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

good to hear.

AT THE RESERVATION
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

It is clear he is “culture building”! The boys will know what is expected going into summer workouts and as they hit the field for official practices.

Return to “Football”