Best fit for the TVC- Fort Frye or Oak Hill

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Re: Best fit for the TVC- Fort Frye or Oak Hill

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

The TVC can't get enough Yes votes for Warren to be voted back in. Although the smallest school in the TVC Ohio, Nelsonville-York, always votes Yes to let them back in. Athens always votes yes too. So does one or two Hocking schools. Someone has to convince the other schools to vote yes.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Fort Frye would be looking at The TVC out of necessity, not because they want to be in the club. By all means, if Oak Hill wants the "Best Fit for The TVC" trophy, I say we give it to them.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Dandy Don wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:20 am Neither FF nor OH.

Warren is without a league and despite that still clearly makes the most sense here.
Pretty sure Warren has already committed to join a league in 2020 - or maybe even starting next year? Can't remember.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:13 am

Warren is without a league and despite that still clearly makes the most sense here.
Pretty sure Warren has already committed to join a league in 2020 - or maybe even starting next year? Can't remember.
Yes. The ECOL. However, they are losing a few teams to the expanding MVL and also Zanesville to the LCL I believe. So the league will be down to just a handful of schools even with the addition of Warren. So I could see where warren would be interested in a more stable conference like the TVC.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Dundas wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:53 am
93Bulldog wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:13 am

Yes. The ECOL. However, they are losing a few teams to the expanding MVL and also Zanesville to the LCL I believe. So the league will be down to just a handful of schools even with the addition of Warren. So I could see where warren would be interested in a more stable conference like the TVC.
Right. Warren joined under the impression it would be six teams (the three teams heading to the MVL was already known), but Zanesville has since announced they are leaving. As it stands, the ECOL will be Warren, Marietta, Cambridge, New Philadelphia, & Dover beginning in 2020 (the newspaper article mentioned they may be able to get spring sports in 2020 and otherwise, all sports begin in the 2020-21 school year).

3sUp
Varsity

Post by 3sUp »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:07 am it sounds to me like oak hill is making a statement wanting to move to the bigger section of the soc and trying to build something more competitive. at least that's the way I took it, if in fact this is what they wanted.
I believe Oak Hill and the other schools mutually agreed that they should be moved up. Right now they are in the middle ground of being too dominant for the SOC 1 and not competitive enough to win many games in the SOC 2. I think if they go a medium stretch of years with no league wins they just might start looking into the TVC.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

3sUp wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:47 pm
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:07 am it sounds to me like oak hill is making a statement wanting to move to the bigger section of the soc and trying to build something more competitive. at least that's the way I took it, if in fact this is what they wanted.
I believe Oak Hill and the other schools mutually agreed that they should be moved up. Right now they are in the middle ground of being too dominant for the SOC 1 and not competitive enough to win many games in the SOC 2. I think if they go a medium stretch of years with no league wins they just might start looking into the TVC.
I think you’re right on with your assessment. And we’re talking football only because their other sports are pretty successful against those schools. In terms of football though, the TVC is weaker, let’s be frank. Oak hill would compete right away in the TVC. My fear is that IF OH goes 3 years without a conference win, it may be too late to move to the TVC. Right now, the Ohio Division is with an odd number. It’s a difficult situation for the teams with late season non conference games and I feel like the TVC will be looking to make things even sooner rather than later. Maybe Fort or Warren apply in the next few months. The TVC may just take the best available. I feel that if OH says, give us a few years to see how it goes, it will be too late. OH already plays in the biddy football conference. They border Wellston and RV school districts. They would have more natural rivals in the TVC as opposed to Fort Frye or Warren. They ARE the best fit for the TVC and the TVC is the best fit for them, competitively.

oneoak
Varsity

Post by oneoak »

I agree, I think Oak Hill should apply to the TVC now while the opportunity is there. The SOC 2 is a good league, but there are two issues that make me think the TVC would be a better fit. Wheelersburg has dominated the league in both boys and girls sports. There are no natural rivals in the SOC. The Scioto County schools are rivals to each other. As Dundas stated, there are rivals for the Oaks in the TVC.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I don't get your argument that if OH starts losing it would hurt their chances to get in the TVC.
Nelsonville-York, Wellston, Meigs, and Athens joined because they weren't competitive in the SEOAL.
I don't remember RV being a power before they were accepted.
VC was a founding member.
Alex came in without a terrific resume.
If any of the SEOAL teams had been doing well in that league they wouldn't have left.

Wahama of the Hocking is the only team I remember joining the TVC that came in with an overpowering record against most of the league.
If South Gallia had been a powerhouse no one would have voted for them to enter.

I think Fort will find the same thing if they try to get in the Hocking.
Belpre and Waterford are the only teams that play them and they haven't fared well against FF.
Waterford won a couple of TVC Championships while losing to FF out of league.
If FF joined the Hocking next year the only team that would be favored to beat them would be Trimble.

I have no idea if the Ohio teams would welcome FF. I think they would be competitive in football next year.

oneoak
Varsity

Post by oneoak »

I don't think that Dundas was saying that losing would hurt the Oaks chances of getting into the TVC. I think he meant that by waiting to see how it goes in the SOC 2, Fort Frye or Warren could become the 8th member.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

oneoak wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:27 pm I don't think that Dundas was saying that losing would hurt the Oaks chances of getting into the TVC. I think he meant that by waiting to see how it goes in the SOC 2, Fort Frye or Warren could become the 8th member.
Yes, that was my point. Thanks for the clarification oneoak! Oak Hills best chance to get into the TVC is right now. Not in 3 years. Regardless of what their record is moving forward. Now is the time!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

fortdawg wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:21 pm I don't get your argument that if OH starts losing it would hurt their chances to get in the TVC.
Nelsonville-York, Wellston, Meigs, and Athens joined because they weren't competitive in the SEOAL.
I don't remember RV being a power before they were accepted.
VC was a founding member.
Alex came in without a terrific resume.
If any of the SEOAL teams had been doing well in that league they wouldn't have left.

Wahama of the Hocking is the only team I remember joining the TVC that came in with an overpowering record against most of the league.
If South Gallia had been a powerhouse no one would have voted for them to enter.

I think Fort will find the same thing if they try to get in the Hocking.
Belpre and Waterford are the only teams that play them and they haven't fared well against FF.
Waterford won a couple of TVC Championships while losing to FF out of league.
If FF joined the Hocking next year the only team that would be favored to beat them would be Trimble.

I have no idea if the Ohio teams would welcome FF. I think they would be competitive in football next year.
I have no idea if the 1st statement is correct. about teams leaving the seoal about competitive reasons. initially the league wasn't as widespread. then teams like Marietta, Zanesville and teams were added. back when gas was like 4.50 a gallon. and it was iterally spread from Zanesville to Portsmouth. frankly I'm survived that long. but it was and will always be my favorite league. I like the new ovc now very well. esp. with gahs, Portsmouth and ironton involved. that makes a very solid league. I think the soc needs to try to add rather than lose members.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

I may be the only one thinking this, but I think both schools are great fits for the TVC. I just think because of location, Oak Hill should be the 8th team to the Ohio, and if the TVC decided to keep the 9 team format for the Hocking, Fort Frye would be the team to replace Wahama. I know Fort Frye can compete in the Ohio in football and their other boys sports are D3, but correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't their Girls sports D4 and they would be competing against Athens, Meigs, and Vinton County if invited and accepted to the TVC Ohio? I feel Fort Frye as a whole and not just football would be a better fit into the Hocking.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Current enrollment numbers:

Fort Frye - 137 boys 103 girls
Oak Hill - 167 boys 131 girls

Compared to -
Nelsonville-York (smallest Ohio school) - 135 boys 136 girls
Belpre (largest Hocking school) - 123 boys 107 girls

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

GoBucks1047 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:02 pm I may be the only one thinking this, but I think both schools are great fits for the TVC. I just think because of location, Oak Hill should be the 8th team to the Ohio, and if the TVC decided to keep the 9 team format for the Hocking, Fort Frye would be the team to replace Wahama. I know Fort Frye can compete in the Ohio in football and their other boys sports are D3, but correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't their Girls sports D4 and they would be competing against Athens, Meigs, and Vinton County if invited and accepted to the TVC Ohio? I feel Fort Frye as a whole and not just football would be a better fit into the Hocking.
That's probably true, but our basketball teams play up 1-2 divisions pretty often and are able to hang, so I don't think they would mind the challenge of The Ohio. In the Hocking, Fort Frye, Trimble, and Waterford would be consistently competitive at the top of the conference. The other schools would have to beef up their sports programs to consistently challenge for the league crown. I don't know if the Southerns and Millers of the world would want to run through that gauntlet in their conference schedules every year.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Has it been long enough since someone threw out the 3 division format? Hahah Let’s add them all and go to 3 six team divisions.

Athens
VC
Meigs
Warren
RV
Alex

Ny
FF
Wellston
Trimble
Belpre
Oak Hill

Fed Hock
Waterford
Miller
Southern
Eastern
South gallia

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Dundas wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:56 pm Has it been long enough since someone threw out the 3 division format? Hahah Let’s add them all and go to 3 six team divisions.

Athens
VC
Meigs
Warren
RV
Alex

Ny
FF
Wellston
Trimble
Belpre
Oak Hill

Fed Hock
Waterford
Miller
Southern
Eastern
South gallia
That looks about right, and it highlights why The TVC is not a great fit for us. Travel to and from Beverly is going to be rough. Fine once a year for football, but ridiculous on a slow Tuesday in January

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

efarns wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:57 pm
Dundas wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:56 pm Has it been long enough since someone threw out the 3 division format? Hahah Let’s add them all and go to 3 six team divisions.

Athens
VC
Meigs
Warren
RV
Alex

Ny
FF
Wellston
Trimble
Belpre
Oak Hill

Fed Hock
Waterford
Miller
Southern
Eastern
South gallia
That looks about right, and it highlights why The TVC is not a great fit for us. Travel to and from Beverly is going to be rough. Fine once a year for football, but ridiculous on a slow Tuesday in January
That was more of a joke than anything. People have complained about my outlandish 3 division formats in the past. Honestly, TVC expansion only needs to be one school. The Hocking will be at 8 members once Wahama leaves, the Ohio needs one more. Fort Frye would be the smallest or second smallest Ohio team year to year and present travel issues for every school. (Only one trip under an hour) Warren would be the second biggest year to year and although they present some travel issues, only about half of the trips would be over an hour. Oak Hill is nearly the same size as Wellston (last count was within 10 boys I believe), only one trip over an hour (NY) and they border two Ohio schools already (Wellston, RV). Add that to the fact that the Oaks would be extremely competitive year to year in every sport, including football and I think you have a winner in terms of which one of the 3 schools fits the best. If I were over the expansion..

Ohio Division

Athens
Vinton County
River Valley
Alexander
Meigs
Wellston
Oak Hill
Nelsonville-York

Hocking

Belpre
Federal Hocking
Trimble
Miller
Eastern
Southern
Waterford
South Gallia

That’s a nice two division 16 team conference. 3 non conference games to start the year would allow for Oak Hill to continue their geographical rivalries with Minford, Rock Hill and Beaver Eastern, for example.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

Won't happen, but imagine this version of the TVC

Hocking:
Belpre
Eastern
Federal Hocking
Fort Frye
Miller
Southern
Trimble
Waterford

Ohio:
Alexander
Gallia Academy
Meigs
Nelsonville-York
Oak Hill
River Valley
Vinton County
Wellston

Both divisions are grouped together reducing travel. The longest trip in both divisions is 70-75 minutes compared to 2 hours in the Hocking. The Hocking in football is division 6 and 7 schools. Ohio is Division 4 and 5 + Nelsonville-York. A part of me thinks with Wahama leaving, South Gallia may consider applying for the SOC, but the only way I see them making it is if they lost the Pike County schools to the SVC, who would expand to 12, and Oak Hill to the TVC.

Athens and Wahama could be included in this, but with Athen's size, I moved them up and have them paired with Chillicothe, Jackson, and Logan in a league, but I know I need 2 more schools their size, but I can't find any at the moment. You might try to move up Vinton County and Gallia Academy for non-football sports since they are D2 in non-football sports, but I doubt they would want to move up. As for Wahama, obviously going back to WV for league games, but we shall see how it goes.

Gold Blood
Waterboy

Post by Gold Blood »

To me on this one you think outside of the box. You forget about fort Frye or oak hill. From there where do you go you may ask? You come home and go north. Straight to the most obvious choice that no one talks about. No one bet mentions. The obvious choice that everyone knows yet no one thinks about. That school is Shenandoah. No questions, just facts.

Return to “Football”