Should Public and Private Schools Have Separate Athletic Postseasons?

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Should Public and Private Schools Have Separate Athletic Postseasons?

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

Catholic HS football seems to sweep the state title most years. Should things be realigned?

Blitzkreig77
Waterboy

Re: Should Public and Private Schools Have Separate Athletic Postseasons?

Post by Blitzkreig77 »

I am not sure that separating is the answer, because I remember a few years back when the competitive balance issue came to fruition that the private schools were planning to band together and leave the OHSAA membership if the post-season tournaments were separated. If they left the OHSAA then katy bar the door because they will poach public schools of their talent because there will be no policing of recruiting for sure then.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Blitzkreig77 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:05 am I am not sure that separating is the answer, because I remember a few years back when the competitive balance issue came to fruition that the private schools were planning to band together and leave the OHSAA membership if the post-season tournaments were separated. If they left the OHSAA then katy bar the door because they will poach public schools of their talent because there will be no policing of recruiting for sure then.
Our society is underpinned and advanced largely (if not entirely) on the functions and products of free markets, and so many Americans believe that’s how America should always be. However, many others believe secondary/college preparatory education shouldn’t have markets because of its implications on something as minor as athletic competition. Seriously?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:57 am Catholic HS football seems to sweep the state title most years. Should things be realigned?
So often do people bring up the topic of private/public separation, when they evidently mean Catholic schools. Which is ironic, because I do believe the biggest private school thorn that has been in Southeast Ohio’s side in postseason basketball and football these last five years is not a Catholic school. Which, is notable considering that most of the private school bogeymen that earn the reputation aren’t Catholic and the vast majority of Catholic schools don’t even deserve the negative association in the first place.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Are we seriously going to best this dead horse again?

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Nope. I thought CB was a good idea to move private schools up a division

CheeseBurger
Riding the Bench

Post by CheeseBurger »

CB is great but all private schools would fit nicely in the d1 bracket. No separate class. Everyone gets to stay in the OHSAA but it would be a fairer CB. Take some of the smaller d1 schools that don’t belong and reassign the rest of the divisions accordingly. It’s not rocket science. it’s the only way around the corrupt private school systems.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Orange and Brown wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:49 pm Are we seriously going to best this dead horse again?
Lol, yes.

I am about ready for a new TVC divisional lineup and which teams they will add also.

Let's beat 2 dead horses.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Abe Froman wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:29 am
Orange and Brown wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:49 pm Are we seriously going to best this dead horse again?
Lol, yes.

I am about ready for a new TVC divisional lineup and which teams they will add also.

Let's beat 2 dead horses.
:lol:

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

CheeseBurger wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:52 am CB is great but all private schools would fit nicely in the d1 bracket. No separate class. Everyone gets to stay in the OHSAA but it would be a fairer CB. Take some of the smaller d1 schools that don’t belong and reassign the rest of the divisions accordingly. It’s not rocket science. it’s the only way around the corrupt private school systems.

What about your small private’s like Ports Notre Dame, Ironton St Joe? They aren’t holding a candle up to any Moeller LaSalle Elder or DeSales travel would be outrageous and competition flat out wouldn’t be there

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
CheeseBurger
Riding the Bench

Post by CheeseBurger »

That would suck for them. just like it does for the rest of us now. We know which private schools that deserve to be d1. You mentioned 2 schools in s.e. Ohio that would be cheated. What about the hundreds around the state that get to benefit. In my opinion privates are all still blessed to be competing in the ohsaa. I’m not trying to kick them out if they choose to cut their athletic programs I’m sure ironton burg rock hill fairyland would welcome them with open arms. Add a bylaw to allow them to play athletics at a neiboring school.

There are not that many big d1 schools now. Plenty of room for them.

Speaking of beating dead horses did any of you genius experts on here have this idea. If someone already did think of it I’m sorry. I may or may not have been robbed by one of these poor little private schools that had 125 players and 3 teams offense and defense. Half the boys at the school played football. Ask me if I care how they feel or what their gonna do.

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

I didn't know this post had been made already. Still fairly new here. My bad, OB

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I think if separation is to be, it should be grouped as this. Private and open enrollment public grouped together and then by themselves should be closed enrollment schools.

CheeseBurger
Riding the Bench

Post by CheeseBurger »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:21 am I think if separation is to be, it should be grouped as this. Private and open enrollment public grouped together and then by themselves should be closed enrollment schools.
I agree 100% but the ohsaa will never do that. The games will always be played at canton. We have to think of logical solutions within the current system.i think there is just as much argument to have a rotating regional state playoff location. That is the beating of the dead horse issue by wishing for separate classes. But working within the current never changing system is where the change needs to happen. A bylaw added to competitive balance would take them 15 min. To write and 5min. For a vote. Within an hour of executive session the ohsaa could make a change that has been needed since the beginning of the playoff era.

CheeseBurger
Riding the Bench

Post by CheeseBurger »

MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:14 am I didn't know this post had been made already. Still fairly new here. My bad, OB
Apologize for nothing my friend right is right OBs team has never even played a private school! We both have and know what we are talking about. The other guy complaining is at a tiny school too that has zero threat from the private schools until they give up 50 to a mediocre private school. Chaminah Julian or CJ would have put up 100 on their best teams and desales when their on would be about the same result. We both had some awesome talent and teams and nothing can take that away much respect to your teams of the past. We were both beat by depth.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

CheeseBurger wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:56 am
MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:14 am I didn't know this post had been made already. Still fairly new here. My bad, OB
Apologize for nothing my friend right is right OBs team has never even played a private school! We both have and know what we are talking about. The other guy complaining is at a tiny school too that has zero threat from the private schools until they give up 50 to a mediocre private school. Chaminah Julian or CJ would have put up 100 on their best teams and desales when their on would be about the same result. We both had some awesome talent and teams and nothing can take that away much respect to your teams of the past. We were both beat by depth.
NY has played Private schools. We had a long standing series with Newark Catholic that ended after 2017. They have also played other private schools as well.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
CheeseBurger
Riding the Bench

Post by CheeseBurger »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:14 pm
CheeseBurger wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:56 am
NY has played Private schools. We had a long standing series with Newark Catholic that ended after 2017. They have also played other private schools as well.
In the post season? Playoffs.
CJs current athletic director was a frat boy prep that liked to talk about people behind their back. I guess I have a chip on my shoulder for that type of human being just really not my kind of people. I am sure they are churning out the next batch of that type. He was from beaver creek area. Don’t worry I told him to his face what my thoughts were of him I rather enjoyed watching him squirm. I was not surprised at all to see his picture on their website as I was looking up the spelling for CJ which I butchered. I got along with him just don’t like to see people put down others for their clothes or looks. The clothes don’t make the man.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

There are a number of open enrollment public schools who recruit. so they would have to be dealt with, as well. Ultimately, there needs to be a state championship for private magnets/open enrollment and one for closed enrollment, small privates.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

CheeseBurger wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:52 am CB is great but all private schools would fit nicely in the d1 bracket. No separate class. Everyone gets to stay in the OHSAA but it would be a fairer CB. Take some of the smaller d1 schools that don’t belong and reassign the rest of the divisions accordingly. It’s not rocket science. it’s the only way around the corrupt private school systems.
If they were corrupt, wouldn't the OHSAA know it and be investigating them or punishing them? Don't paint with such a broad brush. I can guarantee you there are more public schools in Ohio that "cheat" than private schools simply because of the greater number of schools.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
toast
All State

Post by toast »

Don't try equating private schools and open enrollment public schools. They're still two very different animals and play by very different rules.

Private schools have some inherent advantages to attracting top notch athletes. Because of those advantages they often don't need to recruit to secure those athletes. That's just the reality of the situation.

I'd hate to see separate tournaments. But the field is no where near even that's for sure.

Return to “Football”