How Could The Playoffs Be Improved?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: How Could The Playoffs Be Improved?

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Jokerswild wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:41 pm The way it’s done here in Ohio is the best way. The more you win and the more your opponents win the more points you earn to get to the playoffs. Yes there are blowout with 1 versus 8 but there are cases where a 7-3 8 seed blows out the 10-0 1 seed. So at the present state it works. No need to expand or subtract.
I agree joker.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
OSU22
Varsity

Post by OSU22 »

93Bulldog wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:08 pm
Izladoom wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:48 pm I like the idea of top 32 regardless of region That way the best 32 teams gets in and quality teams don’t get left out just because their region was stacked
That does not guarantee the best 32.
The harbin system doesnt recognize strength of programs, strength of area in terms of quality football being played. Athens can have a weak schedule, go 10-0 & be one of the top 16 point earners in the state - but does that mean they are really better than a (6-4) DeSales which finishes 33rd and misses the cut?

There is no perfect system, it doesn't exist and never will. Not when you have 106 teams (each division) that play in completely different parts of the state vs completely different opponents.
I agree completely

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Bumpy wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:15 pm For the most part I think what Ohio has is a pretty good system, however I do think the OHSAA could do a better job of region assignments. Other than D1 ( because they only have 2 regions ) D2 through D7 having 4 regions each should mean the week 11 teams on the road should have maybe a 2 hour drive at the most. The most recent region assignments could have a 1st rd. game between a school from Lawrence county vs. a Mahoning county school, about 4 hours. Several other examples of 3 to 3 1/2 hr drives also. Ohio is not a large state and being able to split it up into 4 sections should not be rocket science, I know that southeast Ohio does pose a small issue because of the sparse population but it still should not make for a 3 1/2 to 4 hr first round drive for the players and fans that want to attend.
D1 has 4 regions.

People want to complain about the size of regions, but the state has to do what they have to do to keep the regions balanced. Most of the complaining is from the people on here. Why? Because we have the most sparsely populated area. When PFlyod does his basketball rankings, how many schools does he cover down here? 72 I believe. Several of those do not have football. So there are less that 70 schools playing football in this 1/4 of the state. There are 720 or so playing total. To think that being able to make all the regions cover a two hour radius is just not feasible. To do that, the regions down here would have 12-15 teams while the northern regions would have 35-40. That is not going to happen and it can't happen.

The system is fine. Everyone knows how to get in the playoffs. Adjust to it.

OSU22
Varsity

Post by OSU22 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:38 pm
Bumpy wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:15 pm For the most part I think what Ohio has is a pretty good system, however I do think the OHSAA could do a better job of region assignments. Other than D1 ( because they only have 2 regions ) D2 through D7 having 4 regions each should mean the week 11 teams on the road should have maybe a 2 hour drive at the most. The most recent region assignments could have a 1st rd. game between a school from Lawrence county vs. a Mahoning county school, about 4 hours. Several other examples of 3 to 3 1/2 hr drives also. Ohio is not a large state and being able to split it up into 4 sections should not be rocket science, I know that southeast Ohio does pose a small issue because of the sparse population but it still should not make for a 3 1/2 to 4 hr first round drive for the players and fans that want to attend.
D1 has 4 regions.

People want to complain about the size of regions, but the state has to do what they have to do to keep the regions balanced. Most of the complaining is from the people on here. Why? Because we have the most sparsely populated area. When PFlyod does his basketball rankings, how many schools does he cover down here? 72 I believe. Several of those do not have football. So there are less that 70 schools playing football in this 1/4 of the state. There are 720 or so playing total. To think that being able to make all the regions cover a two hour radius is just not feasible. To do that, the regions down here would have 12-15 teams while the northern regions would have 35-40. That is not going to happen and it can't happen.

The system is fine. Everyone knows how to get in the playoffs. Adjust to it.
That’s not true at all, ask bulldog he has the breakdown and a very good one.

NY Tomcat
JV Team

Post by NY Tomcat »

All playoff games should be played on field turf. If you don't have turf you shouldn't get a first round home game.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

NY Tomcat wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:32 am All playoff games should be played on field turf. If you don't have turf you shouldn't get a first round home game.
I’m sure every team would love to have a turf field but let’s be honest not every school can afford it. This is one of the more silly comments I’ve seen. NFL games are still played on grass.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

go back to the top 4

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

lets define playoff worthy

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Double the regions. First 3 games all go to the home team and then natural sites.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

The state championship games should be played in the shoe every year! Canton was nice but the drive was awful and the stadium is no where near as nice as the shoe

Burg grad 85
bman
SEO

Post by bman »

If your team goes 10-0 or 9-1 and misses the playoffs, that's on your school. Your school needs to get in a better league and/or really upgrade the non-league schedule.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Only complaint is that state tile being played in canton. I understand it that it is the hall of fame stadium and it truly is beautiful but Columbus makes the most sense and I’m sure a majority of kids would rather play at the Shoe

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

Kicker. wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:04 pm Only complaint is that state tile being played in canton. I understand it that it is the hall of fame stadium and it truly is beautiful but Columbus makes the most sense and I’m sure a majority of kids would rather play at the Shoe
OHSAA wanted the games back in Columbus this year, but the current OSU staff were not so interested. Hard to play there if they don't want you. That's why they are in Canton again this year.

As for the playoffs, I personally would like to go it back to 6 divisions, like it was pre-2013. But that means fewer playoff games and $$$ for the OHSAA, so it will never happen.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

With the state final crowds getting smaller and smaller, isn't it about time to hold them all at a high school, a real high school stadium,that supports the size of the crowds? It would save the OHSAA money and with so many schools in the Center of the state it does seem doable.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:51 am With the state final crowds getting smaller and smaller, isn't it about time to hold them all at a high school, a real high school stadium,that supports the size of the crowds? It would save the OHSAA money and with so many schools in the Center of the state it does seem doable.
The crowds were smaller because Ohsaa moved them to canton

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Even with them in Columbus, they could have been played at some of the D-1 schools. Crowds are not what they once was.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Here's a link to show game attendance, for the finals.

https://ohsaa.org/sports/football/pastresults

Return to “Football”