Who will be the next legendary TVC-Ohio coach?

moorelukas
Riding the Bench

Who will be the next legendary TVC-Ohio coach?

Post by moorelukas »

This article comes from wathsportsfan.com a new blog covering Athens county/southeast Ohio athletics.

to read more: https://www.wathsportsfan.com/blogs/who ... ing-legend
-----------------------------
Head football coach is an honorable title in today’s sports centric society. Especially in Ohio, where a legendary football coach can be written into a town’s history. Tiger Laverde, who has coached Kirtland to an unspeakable amount of state championships, is the proverbial mayor of the city. Phil Faires is one of the most influential figures is Glouster today, and he still has legacy to write with the Tomcats. Dave Boston is a legendary name in Nelsonville, father and son. Ryan Adams is beginning his retirement as an Athens legend and even Vinton County yearns for the days of Jack O’Rourke.

The TVC-Ohio this year will be absent of these legends, instead it’ll be a group of coaches trying build a program to eventually put themselves into the category of legend. Four of the seven teams in the TVC-Ohio will have a new head coach, two of those coaches have never been a head coach in their career (Nathan White, Travis Bethel). Even Rusty Richards, the longest tenured coach in the conference, is just entering his 4th season at the helm of the Buckeyes.

This newness and optimism lends itself room for interesting questions. Like, which of these coaches has the best opportunity to become a ‘legend’? Well, I’ve answered it with these “Most Likely to be a Legend” rankings.

These rankings aren’t just a ranking of the best coaches in the conference, since becoming a legend is more than just on-field success, but also how the community embraces that success. I’ve also considered factors such as longevity in the position, since legends usually hang around for 10 years.

Here are the rankings:
---------------------------------

Give me your ranking, remember, not "best coach" but best opportunity to be legendary.

to read more: https://www.wathsportsfan.com/blogs/who ... ing-legend

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Who will be the next legendary TVC-Ohio coach?

Post by Orange and Brown »

"Nathan White is the best offensive coordinator in the history of Ohio high school football"
Laying it on a little thick aren't you? :lol:

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
moorelukas
Riding the Bench

Post by moorelukas »

Orange and Brown wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:50 pm "Nathan White is the best offensive coordinator in the history of Ohio high school football"
It does seem a little crazy to claim, until you actually do the research. He is the only coordinator to have more than one offense among the top 15 in Ohio scoring, and hhe is on it three times. Over that span he has produced 2 2,000 yard runners, 3 all-state QB’s, and he has been given nearly 100% credit for the operation of Athens offense. There is no one in the state’s history that can make a numbers argument against White. Now, you can say well “if this coordinator was in the TVC” or if this if that. But I don’t deal in if’s when making rankings. I like to deal with facts, and the fact is, Its impossible for anyone to have the resume White has, Bc no one else is in the top 15, THREE TIMES.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Well, the three times is actually the same team three different years. I question that top 15 though, just because you rack up points vs smaller division teams or inferior competition doesnt make you the best 15 offense's in the state.

I personally think the Marion Local offense putting 33 on Coldwater is more impressive than Athens scoring 60 on River Valley.

Too many things to consider & evaluate when it comes to high school football. That's why no credible or respectable journalist across the state has never tried to do it. They know its impossible. Time frame, level of competition, schemes, school size are just a few of your important variables to consider.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

moorelukas wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:11 pm
Orange and Brown wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:50 pm "Nathan White is the best offensive coordinator in the history of Ohio high school football"
It does seem a little crazy to claim, until you actually do the research. He is the only coordinator to have more than one offense among the top 15 in Ohio scoring, and hhe is on it three times. Over that span he has produced 2 2,000 yard runners, 3 all-state QB’s, and he has been given nearly 100% credit for the operation of Athens offense. There is no one in the state’s history that can make a numbers argument against White. Now, you can say well “if this coordinator was in the TVC” or if this if that. But I don’t deal in if’s when making rankings. I like to deal with facts, and the fact is, Its impossible for anyone to have the resume White has, Bc no one else is in the top 15, THREE TIMES.
How many D1 athlete's did he have on those teams?
How many small schools that weren't very good did he play?

Be a fan but slow down on the koolaid.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Nathan White offense might be held back or boosted a little by the Athens defensive coach.
He could be held back because the defense gave up quick score allowing the offense more times with the ball more than average. He could be given more credit to be able to have an offense to out score more than a below average defense gave up. But them it just might be who does the judging. Would it be people from out of southeastern , Ohio? if that is the case it might go against him. Will it be southeastern, Ohio people? That could go either way. People that like Athens or ones that do not. It also could come down to the truthful voters.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

noreply66 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:47 pm Nathan White offense might be held back or boosted a little by the Athens defensive coach.
He could be held back because the defense gave up quick score allowing the offense more times with the ball more than average. He could be given more credit to be able to have an offense to out score more than a below average defense gave up. But them it just might be who does the judging. Would it be people from out of southeastern , Ohio? if that is the case it might go against him. Will it be southeastern, Ohio people? That could go either way. People that like Athens or ones that do not. It also could come down to the truthful voters.
It doesnt matter if you like Athens or dont. There are just too many things to consider when labeling anyone the best at anything in high school football.

At the very least, if you are gonna TRY and throw out some form of opinion, break it down into divisions. Saying Nathan White is the best D3 offensive coordinator is at least something. (But still not truly valid). If you are gonna be labeled the "best" you need to compete & succeed against the best. Athens wasnt playing Ignatious, Moeller or St. Ed's or even teams with potential D1 prospects on the defense. That alone nullifies the "best" argument.

Scheme is also big. Just because you go 5 wide & put up points shouldn't be the end all, be all measuring stick. I also like an offensive coordinator who exploits a defense by any means necessary (Coach Fairs going to the wishbone vs Shadyside in the 2nd half in 2013). Or a coach that knows how to milk the clock and pound a team into submission. (Hartley or Davidson).

Judgement of "best offense" is in the eye of the beholder.

moorelukas
Riding the Bench

Post by moorelukas »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:32 pm Well, the three times is actually the same team three different years. I question that top 15 though, just because you rack up points vs smaller division teams or inferior competition doesnt make you the best 15 offense's in the state.

I personally think the Marion Local offense putting 33 on Coldwater is more impressive than Athens scoring 60 on River Valley.

Too many things to consider & evaluate when it comes to high school football. That's why no credible or respectable journalist across the state has never tried to do it. They know its impossible. Time frame, level of competition, schemes, school size are just a few of your important variables to consider.
It's not fair to throw out my credibility when I researched this opinion. Truly thought about it, and have arguments to defend it. Also, does anyone ever make rankings like this in high school football? There aren't many high school football blogs or columns, just a bunch of guys writing profile features and game recaps (which is great). I'm not reporting this as a journalist, I'm looking at information and formulating an opinion. I'm not saying that Athens/White was the most talented ever, but they were certainly the best performing. 55 points in a state championship game though, means they were pretty good. They certainly were one of the best, and In my opinion they were the best, and no one can ever show me any numbers-based evidence to dispute that, just hypothetical's.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens scored 52.

How about Toledo Central Catholics offensive coordinator? Their complex running scheme was unreal. And they scored 56 in a state championship game, which is a DIII record. 501 yards rushing - most ever in a DIII state championship game.

Sorry buddy, it's just way to debatable of a statement to even make. Did Fostoria even have an offensive coordinator in 1912 when they averaged 74.5 points per game? Do you know for sure if they did or did not? How about Newark Catholic in 1968 when they averaged 63.7? Both more than Athens ever did.

But even still, the level of competition factor trumps all. It keeps anyone from labeling anyone "the best" at anything.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Honestly, the guy on the sidelines calling plays for Marion Local is a phenomenal play caller.

In 2013 Trimble recorded 8 shutouts that season (3rd most all time in the state) and allowed just 3.3 points per game in the regular season. Held a potent Shadyside team to 14 in the regional final and just 10 to Western Reserve in the state semi. But once they faced the Flyers is was total domination. Marion Local's mix of the shotgun spread/power run game was lethal. They scored 33 points on one of the best defenses ever from this area. That's how numbers on a page can be misleading. 33 doesn't seem like much, but had you watched the Tomcats defense all year like I had, you'd understand how impressive the 33 points was.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Hell Jim Robinson at Logan as the OC over an 11 year stretch went like 95-15 with a .840 winning percentage including a run of 30-0 in one stretch or something and that’s just me spitballing without looking it up and just regular season. And Ironton’s Bob Lutz won like 380 games best all time and he didn’t change much but I bet his OC didn’t change over that time frame to get those many wins. Best all time??? Lol take off those green and gold glasses !!

Live Like A Champion!
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

It’s hard to replace the guy but White should do fine

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

I’m just curious if Athens can actually play anyone? I will give them all the credit in the world during the Burrow years. Upgrading to Jackson will be interesting, Burg? Anyone!

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:38 pm I’m just curious if Athens can actually play anyone? I will give them all the credit in the world during the Burrow years. Upgrading to Jackson will be interesting, Burg? Anyone!
Waverly is a good pickup
Jackson is an upgrade and no brainer
Logan will be a good game once Logan gets rolling again

Maybe add in a Chillicothe

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I’m just glad we finally stopped playing Warren. Really hurt Athens point wise. South, Waverly, and Jackson were good pick up points wise. A 9-1 OCC School dropping us last year at the last minute hurt. Was the mother load of points for all of SEO

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:49 pm I’m just glad we finally stopped playing Warren. Really hurt Athens point wise. South, Waverly, and Jackson were good pick up points wise. A 9-1 OCC School dropping us last year at the last minute hurt. Was the mother load of points for all of SEO
I’m glad you are not playing Warren as well.

WellstonLover
Riding the Bench

Post by WellstonLover »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:49 pm I’m just glad we finally stopped playing Warren. Really hurt Athens point wise. South, Waverly, and Jackson were good pick up points wise. A 9-1 OCC School dropping us last year at the last minute hurt. Was the mother load of points for all of SEO

How does finally scheduling bigger schools and going 0-4 against them help the playoff points? I’m confused.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Going 0-4 doesn’t help. But what does is knowing you are going to go against those better schools hence having to put the work in to start beating those teams. Which is the ultimate goal. You don’t schedule them to lose , you schedule them to try and beat them. And when you do....End result..... More play-off points.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion

Return to “Football”