Soc 1 preseason predictions

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Soc 1 preseason predictions

Post by mattash »

So cool so many players have bought into the program.

They have a fair schedule too. Could go 8-2

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

bfry wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:42 pm
NW97 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:36 pm
BigBlueNation wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:18 pm
Northwest had around 45 last year half of the roster were freshmen.
Next year they will have close to 70 on the roster.
Numbers have not really been a issue at Northwest.
I know for a fact they had around 20 one year, must've been 2 years ago. I remember they had so many injuries they barely had enough to play.
Nah
wrong quote. My bad.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

SouthernSports wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:36 pm
NW97 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:14 pm
SouthernSports wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:29 pm

Because NW is the biggest school in the county, 60 kids on the football team, Division 5 and yet they insist on being in a league with schools that don’t even have 60 boys in the school. Playing Division 6 and 7 schools. That’s why it’s sad and embarrassing! Accept it. If they win the SOC 1 what are they proving? Most SOC 1 schools have about 20 kids on the team.
Having 60 kids on the roster isn't the norm, I think they had somewhere around 20 last year. And they lose good players from the district to Valley and West. To be honest I'm not sure how it works, but if it's so preposterous then who allowed them to be in SOC1?
They asked to go into the SOC 1 for a couple of years to rebuild and Valley wanted to move up. They’ve just never really improved. Whether it’s loosing players to other schools or any of the many other reasons, they still need to be in the SOC 2. Divisions are based on the number of boys in the school and leagues should be on the same basis. It’s just not fair to the smaller schools.
These two events had zero to do with each other. Not even close. Valley moved up in 2006. Northwest moved down in 2014.

Watson45
Riding the Bench

Post by Watson45 »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:12 am If I’m right 5 of the 6 football players mentioned above attended NCAA D-III football programs where players just attend school and they are on the team. I think the one exception is the kid that went to junior college. He may be at a scholarship program now but I don’t know. Of course this is second hand information so not sure if he is at a 4 year football program now.

As far as “issues in the program”, this is not the place to discussion. Again second-hand information but comes from people in the know.
I wasnt really referring to win record as criteria for "building a program" as much as the community support and success of the kids. Not sure what D3 has to do with it. The boys are playing college ball. It is a platform that allows kids to play the next level. I mean it's a small school. Most D1 level talent around here wind up at bigger schools. Look at burgs winning seasons and their transfer rate on those teams.

Watson45
Riding the Bench

Post by Watson45 »

greygoose wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:42 pm
Watson45 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:39 pm
greygoose wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:42 am

Yeah I think you're correct when you have a team go 5-5 year in and year out, I wouldn't call that having a built program. Only thing where I have to disagree is that looking at their schedule they playing harder non-league games than league games. Their wins are coming within the league. Yes, they have built it from the ground up but to say we have a program and then to say we have built a program the way it's needed to succeed is 2 different things. Now I'm not sure what you've heard in terms of issues within the program so I have no idea on that part. However, on the first part I can agree with that 100%.
I believe they have put 6 kids in college football over the past few years. They have good support. Not sure but I think they beat northwest the last 3 years. Not to bad for a fairly new program.
Wins vs Losses was the discussion and when you're going .500 each year no one is happy, they just need to take that next step. They have a young team this year look for them to make some noise next year but probably another .500 on the horizon for 2019. Beating a down Northwest team doesn't tell me anything, rest of the league has beaten northwest over the last 3 years. I was more curious as to what the gentlemen was saying in terms of issues within the program.
Yea that was my fault. I wasnt referring to w-l. You're right. It is time for a winning season. I agree with northwest being down the last few years also. However they still have almost twice the roster as any other soc1 school. They should really never be down in a league that fields 20 man rosters for football.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

SouthernSports wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:03 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:11 pm What can we expect out of Notre Dame this season?
This season with be interesting for Notre Dame. Their numbers are up but they are mostly Juniors and Freshman. Granted this group of Juniors and Freshman have had success coming up, they are still a small school. As for the team, they have tons of speed. Emnett and McGuire were a great contrast last year with power running and elusiveness, but with Nichols out (arm issues) McGuire has been moved to QB. But that gives them even more speed in the backfield. The problem is the offensive line. They are strong and quick but small. Defense should be solid. The biggest issue with defense is Haney went back to East. Overall, this should be the best year they've had in a while, but .500 is good for ND. Biggest games will be Fayetteville, Northwest and Greenup County (not sure how they got on their schedule) and maybe Green (depending on returning players actually playing, hearing rumors). Should be exciting, my prediction is 6-4 maybe 7-3.
How do you think they’ll fare out-of-conference?

GoIrish
JV Team

Post by GoIrish »

Watson45 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:22 am
ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:12 am If I’m right 5 of the 6 football players mentioned above attended NCAA D-III football programs where players just attend school and they are on the team. I think the one exception is the kid that went to junior college. He may be at a scholarship program now but I don’t know. Of course this is second hand information so not sure if he is at a 4 year football program now.
I wasnt really referring to win record as criteria for "building a program" as much as the community support and success of the kids. Not sure what D3 has to do with it. The boys are playing college ball. It is a platform that allows kids to play the next level. I mean it's a small school. Most D1 level talent around here wind up at bigger schools. Look at burgs winning seasons and their transfer rate on those teams.
Just, if you think that's how DIII schools work, you're mistaken. I'm a product of a DIII school, and know many there now. That is not the case. Do not diminish what DIII athletes do. They may not be D1 caliber, but they put in a lot of hard work. DIII athlets don't get to play just because they said "I want to play." Playing at the next level is not common, even for small school student athletes.

The fact that multiple athletes from Eastern have gone on to play at the next level from a small D6/D7 school that has had varsity football for 4 whole seasons is nothing to scoff at. The culture itself has changed. People are embracing Friday night lights in Beaver. There is now a marching band when there wasn't before. For a school with such a young program, going .500 for the last 3 seasons, plus getting good numbers in the youth organizations, that is how you build a program. Eastern has been playing Southeastern, Linsley WV, and now Paint Valley in their nonconference games. Their losses come from teams that are playoff contenders in larger divisions. Their program recognizes that development comes from playing stiffer competition.

I believe the Eastern O lineman who went full ride JuCo to Iowa Western CC is now on a full ride to UMass. He had full ride offers from Iowa State, Central Florida, Akron, and BG for the 2018 season, but he didn't commit quickly enough. As a result, he went the JuCo route in order to secure another DI FBS full ride offer for 2019, in lieu of taking a DI FCS or DII full ride offer (which he had several of each as well).

SouthernSports
Waterboy

Post by SouthernSports »

Tartanblue wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:27 pm By numbers Northwest should win the SOC because of attrition alone with being able sub constantly.
EXACTLY!

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Sorry GoIrish,

Buy my son played D-III football and that “IS” how it works. We marketed him to a number of scholarship programs but he was not good enough to earn a scholarship. In turn he went to a D-III program. He could have went to a number of D-III programs. The way it worked was if we paid the high D-III tuition then he was on the team. Yes .... He worked hard to become a good high school football player but anybody that works hard in high school can be on a D-III football team. That doesn’t mean they get to play on the team but they can be in the team. Jackson, Ironton, Wheelersburg, etc. could have 6 or 7 players every year play D-III football if they wanted to. It’s nice that the kids get to continue to play a sport they love but it’s not like Eastern Football is something special.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:34 pm Sorry GoIrish,

Buy my son played D-III football and that “IS” how it works. We marketed him to a number of scholarship programs but he was not good enough to earn a scholarship. In turn he went to a D-III program. He could have went to a number of D-III programs. The way it worked was if we paid the high D-III tuition then he was on the team. Yes .... He worked hard to become a good high school football player but anybody that works hard in high school can be on a D-III football team. That doesn’t mean they get to play on the team but they can be in the team. Jackson, Ironton, Wheelersburg, etc. could have 6 or 7 players every year play D-III football if they wanted to. It’s nice that the kids get to continue to play a sport they love but it’s not like Eastern Football is something special.
Have to agree here. No disrespect to D3 football players, but it is pay to play. Hell a couple of years back we (Valley) went 3-7. We were not a good or deep football team. We had a kid that never played a meaningful snap for us. Not even special teams. Had 3 carries in a blowout of Belpre. Few weeks later he is on twitter "committing" to Wilmington. Was on the team for a year and quit.

There are a lot of talented kids playing D3 football. But the facts are it is pay to play 98% of the time.

2quick2catch
Freshman Team

Post by 2quick2catch »

The young kids at Northwest are suppose to be the real deal, but we all have heard that before.

SouthernSports
Waterboy

Post by SouthernSports »

markymark1969 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:51 pm East has 23 players and a lot of youth, including a freshman QB. Chase Coyle and Braiden Haney will be counted on heavily for leadership. Green should be solid again. I agree with the sentiment about Northwest and Eastern Pike. Don't know much about Symmes Valley other than remembering that Rusty Webb's clubs are always competitive. Notre Dame will have to rely on Emnett running the ball and some of those juniors and seniors who played a lot as freshmen and sophomores. They will miss Nichols - was very disappointed to hear of his injury.
McGuire is looking real good at QB. He’s fast and a very smart player. He’s opened up the offense with the pass and keeper. Seison and Hobbs have stepped up to fill McGuires shoes.

dirt_cinders
JV Team

Post by dirt_cinders »

Jake looked good as did quite a few others. Jake did a good job filling in for Nichols. Thought he was effective 9n the short routes and runs. Emnett is tough on both sides.

East is athletic. QB is playing well as a freshman. Best of luck to each going forward

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

After the first couple weeks it looks like the SOC -I race, will come down to SV and Northwest. Northwest has a huge game with McClain tonight. A win tonight could help establish a better mindset for Northwest after a tough loss last week to Southeastern. My SVC (Huntington) beat Eastern with all their college talent. Next week Northwest plays Huntington so we will see how that plays out.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:35 pm After the first couple weeks it looks like the SOC -I race, will come down to SV and Northwest. Northwest has a huge game with McClain tonight. A win tonight could help establish a better mindset for Northwest after a tough loss last week to Southeastern. My SVC (Huntington) beat Eastern with all their college talent. Next week Northwest plays Huntington so we will see how that plays out.
I don’t think anyone knows enough about where ND is at and where they’ll be at by the time SOC play starts. Game vs Southern just run away from them in the second half on some tough breaks. ND is a big underdog today, next week, and the two weeks after that but that’s largely a matter of their opponents being quite good. Basically until they play Northwest, which I’m sure NW is the favorite to win but probably not an incredible favorite.

As cliché as it sounds, ND is going to be improving and getting better and stronger week by week. They’re one of the best coaches teams in the SOC and have some studs. Not entirely about SV being better than ND.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

No Question that ND’s Coach is one of the better coaches in SOC-I. (Him & Webb at SV) I just think by SOC time the lack of depth will hurt ND’s chances of competing for the league. I feel the same way about Green. This year I believe Northwest & SV are the best two team. Eastern have decent talent but have too many coaching issues.

Coach Tomlison
Waterboy

Post by Coach Tomlison »

Lmao, I love reading this thread and respect everyone's OPINIONS. I rarely post on here unless it's to defend our program. 2 of our players last year that went D3 had several D2 offers but not every D2 offers the curriculum needed. So one went to Marietta for an amazing Petroleum Engineering program the other Wilmington for a very good Exercise Science program considering they intern with professional teams. Kudos to them for putting academics 1st. Another on a full ride to Umass prolly should be sitting at Iowa St but our 1st time dealing with a D1 recruit and let him drag the process on to long. Lesson learned. Yes a 3rd went to Waynesburg just for the love of the game. 2nd, we start 3 freshman, 3 soph, 2 juniors playing football for first time ever so no excuses but same small school issues as anyone it runs in cycles. Jr high program 2-0 and 5th/6th in very good shape first year since we started the program we have had very good coaches at every level. 3rd, we could have easily opened up with some club teams or teams that traditionally struggle but I've always been taught to be the best you gotta beat the best. Don't see many new programs playing playoff teams first 2 out of 3 games but we do and will continue to do so until one day we reach that level. I have thick skin so feel free to tear me apart. I don't hide behind screen names, and easy to find and too big to run so if you have a personal issue with me feel free to hit me up but no need for continued comments about our kids or staff. We absolutely love the direction of our program and have zero issues from within. I hate being .500 last couple years more than anyone. I honestly think we have had playoff caliber teams last couple years had we scheduled a couple early cupcakes but who knows. I do know this is our 5th year and we are very darn close to being where we want to be. Thanks to those who support and those that don't we love the added fuel 👊
Last edited by Coach Tomlison on Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Watson45
Riding the Bench

Post by Watson45 »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:16 pm No Question that ND’s Coach is one of the better coaches in SOC-I. (Him & Webb at SV) I just think by SOC time the lack of depth will hurt ND’s chances of competing for the league. I feel the same way about Green. This year I believe Northwest & SV are the best two team. Eastern have decent talent but have too many coaching issues.
Where are you hearing coaching issues? Sounds like you have the inside scoop here. Fill us in.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Love the SOC1 and small school football.

Still saying anyone but Notre Dame and East can win the conference this year

My pred after week 2

1 northwest
2 symmes valley
3 eastern
4 green
5 notre dame
6 east

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

If northwest who would be the soc1s 6th team? Try to get south gallia in?

Michael Scott

Return to “Football”