MOST ACCOMPLISHED OSU PLAYERS FROM SEO

joeboggs1
JV Team

Re: MOST ACCOMPLISHED OSU PLAYERS FROM SEO

Post by joeboggs1 »

Ben Hartsock from Unioto had a pretty fine career. Maybe not a ton of stats, but a huge role on the National Championship team.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Ed Thompson was a man’s Man. I’m with Bleeding Red on this one.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

yes ben hartsock had a big role on that national title team....thanks for bringing him up.....

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Art
One of the best athletes that I ever saw in high school.
Makes no difference what he has done to himself now.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Bleeding Red wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:17 am Ed Thompson- Portsmouth

338 career tackles (Still in the top 10 in career tackles at OSU). Would have been much more had be been able to play as a freshman. Remember back in those days freshman were not allowed to play. He lettered from 1974-76. All Big Ten and he actually came to OSU as a QB.

By far the most accomplished player from Southern Ohio to play at OSU.
Thompson graduated from Waverly but played his high school football for Glenwood High School in New Boston.

A Portsmouth Trojan who did play for OSU was Shad Williams, a two year letterman at defensive tackle in 71 and 72.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

From Logan:

Josh Jackson (K) is 6th in career field goals made and 8th all-time in FG percentage.

Won two Big Ten championships and a Rose Bowl.

Brooks Burris (OL) was a three year starter (96, 97, and 98) at guard and tackle.

He won two Big Ten titles, a Rose Bowl, and a Sugar Bowl.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:11 am Hubert Bobo Chauncey Dover (Athens) and Arthur Schilichter of Miami Trace

The Legendary 1954 National Champs Ohio State Back Field. Bobo #42. Hopalong Cassidy #40 (Heisman Winner)

Almost an all Ohio backfield. Dave Leggett #22 from New Philly was qb, Hop #40 went to Columbus Central (now the COSI bldg), Hubie #42 went to Chauncey Dover (now part of Athens) and Bobby Watkins #45 is from New Bedford Massachusetts. All signed pro contracts.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

Although he was not a starter, Norm Burrows from Portsmouth was an impact player on special teams and CB during the '79 and '80 seasons. The Buckeyes were very talented, just coming up short to USC in the Rose Bowl, losing by 1 for the national championship in '79..
There were more impactful players from SE Ohio to play for the Buckeyes, however Burrows is definitely worth mentioning..
During high school, Burrows was an extremely talented QB for the Trojans. He was a couple years before my time when he played HS football, but as a young kid I do remember seeing him play for the Buckeyes and always being in the mix on special teams.
After doing a little research, it appears the secondary coach for the Buckeyes during the '80 season was none other than Nick Saban..

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Art Schlister from Miami Trace could also play a little hoops. I believe he took their team to the AAA final four during his time there. Miami Trace is in the Southeast District and not a suburb of Cincinnati and therefore can be claimed by SEO.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Moses Guthrie wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:06 pm Although he was not a starter, Norm Burrows from Portsmouth was an impact player on special teams and CB during the '79 and '80 seasons. The Buckeyes were very talented, just coming up short to USC in the Rose Bowl, losing by 1 for the national championship in '79..
There were more impactful players from SE Ohio to play for the Buckeyes, however Burrows is definitely worth mentioning..
During high school, Burrows was an extremely talented QB for the Trojans. He was a couple years before my time when he played HS football, but as a young kid I do remember seeing him play for the Buckeyes and always being in the mix on special teams.
After doing a little research, it appears the secondary coach for the Buckeyes during the '80 season was none other than Nick Saban..
Norm Burrows!! Great story Moses!! He could play some hoops too. Portsmouth was State Runner up in 80 and he was a big part of that hoops team.

Saban probably held him back.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:36 pm Almost an all Ohio backfield. Dave Leggett #22 from New Philly was qb, Hop #40 went to Columbus Central (now the COSI bldg), Hubie #42 went to Chauncey Dover (now part of Athens) and Bobby Watkins #45 is from New Bedford Massachusetts. All signed pro contracts.
Chauncey probably owns the longest win streak in the area. Like 40-50 straight

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

LucasDavenport wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:45 am Ed Thompson was a man’s Man. I’m with Bleeding Red on this one.
... Ed Thompson never played a snap for Portsmouth ... played ALL of his high school football career at ........ wait for it ... New Boston/Glenwood High School ... great 3 sport athlete at NB ... went to Waverly his senior year following football season, played 1 season of basketball at Waverly ... not sure if he played baseball there as he may have went into FB training due to signing to go to OSU ...

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Bird Dog wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:16 am
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:42 am how's about mike bartrum for meigs.
Never played at OSU
my bad I forgot about the ohio state part.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

2 that definitely need to be on this list from Logan.

Brooks Burris - 4 year varsity letter winning offensive lineman, and 2 year starter at OSU. Part of two Big Ten Championship teams.

Josh Jackson - Former Buckeye kicker. 13th on the OSU all-time scoring list. 7th in kicking points in a career. 6th in extra points in a career. Made 62 consecutive extra points. 6th in field goals made in a career.

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

Mike Estep from Portsmouth. Infielder in early 90's
Last edited by PirateFan[69] on Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Jimmy Cordle from Lancaster/Fisher Catholic was a two-year (I believe?) starter on the o-line for tOSU in the mid ‘00s and later went on to win a Super Bowl with the New York Giants.

Mike Davis from Westfall (late 1970’s/early 1980’s) was a catcher for tOSU’s baseball team.

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

Jerry Fields from Coal Grove. He was recruited by Woody Hayes and signed an athletic scholarship in 1956. He held the record for the longest punt in OSU history of 70 yards against Michigan in 1958 in which the Buckeyes won 20-14. He played QB, LB and was the punter. After his college career, he was selected by the NY Giants but was cut due to injury. He then signed with the NY Titans, now the Jets and played for them in 1961-62. He then signed with the Montreal Allouettes in 1963 and played in 13 of 14 games as a QB and LB.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

LucasDavenport wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:18 pm
Moses Guthrie wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:06 pm Although he was not a starter, Norm Burrows from Portsmouth was an impact player on special teams and CB during the '79 and '80 seasons. The Buckeyes were very talented, just coming up short to USC in the Rose Bowl, losing by 1 for the national championship in '79..
Norm Burrows!! Great story Moses!! He could play some hoops too. Portsmouth was State Runner up in 80 and he was a big part of that hoops team.

Burrows would have probably graduated from PHS in '76 or '77 so he wouldn't have been on the '80 state team. Norm was a senior for the Buckeyes in '80..

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Moses Guthrie wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:15 pm
LucasDavenport wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:18 pm

Burrows would have probably graduated from PHS in '76 or '77 so he wouldn't have been on the '80 state team. Norm was a senior for the Buckeyes in '80..
Yeah my bad on that part. I believe he was integral on the 75 and 76 teams.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Chauncey-Dover does not hold the longest winning streak in the area. Ironton does at 57 games, which is still the state record. 1976-81.

Return to “Football”