Wilmington 27 - 31 Minford

vladimir
S

Re: Minford (3-0) vs. Wilmington (1-2)- Week 4

Post by vladimir »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:49 am
14U wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:00 pm
vladimir wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:34 pm Minford schedule is fine, they're getting outta the area and playing bigger schools. They don't need to get back to playing SOCI teams just for points. I'd rather have the experience than points at this point in the season. NW has to prove themselves, and getting beat by badly by SE-Ross in week 1 isn't it.

Also, I believe Portsmouth had a series with Wilmington back in like 2010-2011. PHS lost both games.
You don’t get much if any points playing down or SOC I schools. I like the direction Minford is going with their schedule. Like I put down earlier I would take northwest off the schedule it’s like an open date no points. SVC conference is good or KY and WV schools football not the same in those two states but big with points. Ironton, burg and Portsmouth from the 80’s, 90’s and half way thru the 2000’s the all played in the two states that help build their points up for the playoff picture. That’s what i’d Like to see Minford do. If Portsmouth did play they had no business playing them as Portsmouth hasn’t been good since 2004 or 05. I know the did play in 85 with Portsmouth winning. Wilmington’s QB was heading to Maryland.
I am not sure if you know how the points work, but with the current state of the SOC I, Northwest is the furthest thing from "an open date". If NW beats Oak Hill this week, they are looking at 8 wins. They are going to win at least 6.

At the end of the season, a win over NW will be worth more than a win over Rock Hill, East Clinton, and possibly even Chesapeake.
Good for NW and if they're able to put together more consecutive winning seasons, I'm sure a few more SOCII would be willing to get them back on the schedule. When NW was only winning 3 games or less, it actually hurt you point wise by having the extra game built into the divisor.

Years back Minford was great at scheduling teams to get points and a 1st round home game, only to get beat in the first round. Getting out of your region in the first few weeks and scheduling up a division or two builds experience/confidence that you can compete with anyone in the state. Beating a team by 30+, vice-versa, points at halftime, does little for either program.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

14U wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:51 pm

You don’t get much if any points playing down or SOC I schools. I like the direction Minford is going with their schedule. Like I put down earlier I would take northwest off the schedule it’s like an open date no points. SVC conference is good or KY and WV schools football not the same in those two states but big with points. Ironton, burg and Portsmouth from the 80’s, 90’s and half way thru the 2000’s the all played in the two states that help build their points up for the playoff picture. That’s what i’d Like to see Minford do. If Portsmouth did play they had no business playing them as Portsmouth hasn’t been good since 2004 or 05. I know the did play in 85 with Portsmouth winning. Wilmington’s QB was heading to Maryland.
I am not sure if you know how the points work, but with the current state of the SOC I, Northwest is the furthest thing from "an open date". If NW beats Oak Hill this week, they are looking at 8 wins. They are going to win at least 6.

At the end of the season, a win over NW will be worth more than a win over Rock Hill, East Clinton, and possibly even Chesapeake.
Yes I do and are you say to keep a team that has been everybody’s homecoming game since they had sports except this year playing the smallest schools? What about the last few years? Biggest school in county and gets beat by the smallest isn’t good and not getting points. I’d drop them and pick up a better team that’s going to get me points. Just my opinion which doesn’t matter, lol.

I'm saying that Northwest is the top dog in SOC I and based on how the size of the rosters in that league are currently trending, having Northwest on the schedule will be a blessing.

Listen, scheduling up is a great thing for your program. That is how you get to the next level. But every team needs a spot in the schedule where they should win handily. If that team happens to feast on inferior competition to get 6-7 wins, to me, that is a huge plus.

When Northwest won the SOC I in 2014, a win over them would have been worth more computer points than a win over Grove City.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:31 pm
14U wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:51 pm

Yes I do and are you say to keep a team that has been everybody’s homecoming game since they had sports except this year playing the smallest schools? What about the last few years? Biggest school in county and gets beat by the smallest isn’t good and not getting points. I’d drop them and pick up a better team that’s going to get me points. Just my opinion which doesn’t matter, lol.

I'm saying that Northwest is the top dog in SOC I and based on how the size of the rosters in that league are currently trending, having Northwest on the schedule will be a blessing.

Listen, scheduling up is a great thing for your program. That is how you get to the next level. But every team needs a spot in the schedule where they should win handily. If that team happens to feast on inferior competition to get 6-7 wins, to me, that is a huge plus.

When Northwest won the SOC I in 2014, a win over them would have been worth more computer points than a win over Grove City.
Yes I agree with the numbers for the SOC I and northwest moving there and can win some games now but 2014 now 2019. I want a team for every year not every 5. I’m not talking state power teams but teams you can beat most years and for your fans not to watch blowouts every year. Greenup is beatable every year but good game or a SVC team like valley does with piketon. Then again Minford isn’t a dominant team year in and out so I would stay with northwest like you said. If it was valley, West or Burg, I would be thinking different. At the end of the day stay with who they are playing. I wasn’t looking down the road but this year and next.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

vladimir wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:34 pm Minford schedule is fine, they're getting outta the area and playing bigger schools. They don't need to get back to playing SOCI teams just for points. I'd rather have the experience than points at this point in the season. NW has to prove themselves, and getting beat by badly by SE-Ross in week 1 isn't it.

Also, I believe Portsmouth had a series with Wilmington back in like 2010-2011. PHS lost both games.
As TrojanDave mentioned already, Portsmouth split with Wilmington the last series they played. 2010 they beat Wilmington and 2011 lost in OT at Wilmington. Both were good games, Portsmouth was actually pretty solid in 07 they made the playoffs that year, and won 7 games in 09. So brush up on your knowledge man.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:54 pm

As TrojanDave mentioned already, Portsmouth split with Wilmington the last series they played. 2010 they beat Wilmington and 2011 lost in OT at Wilmington. Both were good games, Portsmouth was actually pretty solid in 07 they made the playoffs that year, and won 7 games in 09. So brush up on your knowledge man.
Where on this post did Dave say this? I read on above post Portsmouth May have got beat both games. I don’t remember as I quit following Portsmouth as much after their good run in the earlier 2000’s and I moved. I know a lot about Portsmouth as I played for them for four years back when they Played the bigger teams that’s how I knew we beat Wilmington in 85. If I hurt ur feeling on ur team beating them I didn’t mean too!!

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Joeeitel.com has PHS 14-7 in 2010, and a 24-27 OT loss in 2011

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
14U
S

Post by 14U »

vladimir wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:44 pm Joeeitel.com has PHS 14-7 in 2010, and a 24-27 OT loss in 2011
Yep looked it up too, thanks

Gtfo
Waterboy

Post by Gtfo »

Not sure on the score here. But minford taking Northwest off their schedule was smart cause they would have lost a lot of play off points losing to a Soc-1 team

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Minford rolls onto 4-0

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Gtfo wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:42 am Not sure on the score here. But minford taking Northwest off their schedule was smart cause they would have lost a lot of play off points losing to a Soc-1 team
What's that?

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Crab's Brother wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:59 pm
Gtfo wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:42 am Not sure on the score here. But minford taking Northwest off their schedule was smart cause they would have lost a lot of play off points losing to a Soc-1 team
What's that?
Whether Northwest is in SOC-1, or SOC-2, has nothing to do with playoff points.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

He’s trolling. He is saying that NW would beat Minford if they played this year.

It’s actually nice to see optimism from that side of the county.

The fact NW is in SOC1 is another story entirely ...

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

NW is eons away from being competitive in soc 2 play, albeit, they seems to have a little something going in the early Crabtree era.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
14U
S

Post by 14U »

What does Wilmington have this year? Line size and speed or quickness, backs too! Then the D.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

You know northwest could be a good team with the size school and student body but I’ve heard for years it’s the parents running the show? I heard and been told that Tipton from west went out there and had a 5-0 record and up at half when he couldn’t get parents out of locker room at half. He left and they got beat and went 5-5 any truth to this? To the people that knows all on here?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Going with the falcons

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

14U wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:50 pm You know northwest could be a good team with the size school and student body but I’ve heard for years it’s the parents running the show? I heard and been told that Tipton from west went out there and had a 5-0 record and up at half when he couldn’t get parents out of locker room at half. He left and they got beat and went 5-5 any truth to this? To the people that knows all on here?
I can’t speak on that if it happened or not. What I do know is they’ve had some very good coaches out there, Tipton, Larry hall, bfry as examples and kids wouldn’t buy in. Hall threw the team out of practice one day and told them not to come back until Monday, this was their bye week, and they didn’t come back until Monday.

Now, from what I’m told and have read on here, they’ve got 60 kids in the program, and the freshman and sophomore classes are in the weight room working. Avg about 38-40 kids during summer workouts. Ik that’s not 90/95%, but it’s a far better cry than it has been in the past.

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
14U
S

Post by 14U »

Jack Sparrow wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:10 pm
14U wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:50 pm You know northwest could be a good team with the size school and student body but I’ve heard for years it’s the parents running the show? I heard and been told that Tipton from west went out there and had a 5-0 record and up at half when he couldn’t get parents out of locker room at half. He left and they got beat and went 5-5 any truth to this? To the people that knows all on here?
I can’t speak on that if it happened or not. What I do know is they’ve had some very good coaches out there, Tipton, Larry hall, bfry as examples and kids wouldn’t buy in. Hall threw the team out of practice one day and told them not to come back until Monday, this was their bye week, and they didn’t come back until Monday.

Now, from what I’m told and have read on here, they’ve got 60 kids in the program, and the freshman and sophomore classes are in the weight room working. Avg about 38-40 kids during summer workouts. Ik that’s not 90/95%, but it’s a far better cry than it has been in the past.
Yes it is! It’s great the players are young and working hard. Maybe things will turn around. Putting them down in SOC I might have sparked something as they are winning, having fun.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

14U wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:41 pm What does Wilmington have this year? Line size and speed or quickness, backs too! Then the D.
Lots of athletes. They had an elite QB that is a senior, but he’s playing golf instead of football. He was injured halfway through last year, so it could have something to do with why he’s not playing.

Great athlete at QB. They have spread things out in the past few years, but I’m not sure this year with the change at QB. D has never been a big strong suit.

I would think that Wilmington has seen much better competition so far, but I still think Minford can win this one.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Minford has shown tremendous improvement offensively with Lewis at QB and a healthy Wiget at RB. They seem to be well balanced with Wiget leading the area in rushing and Lewis putting up tremendous numbers thus far in both rushing and passing.

They will score points.

Defensively they have continued to improve and have held their opponents in check.

The only problem I see in this game for Minford could be the fact that Wilmington is a D3 school and will probably have the numbers on the roster which means they will have more subs and depth.

I still think Minford will take care of business.

Return to “Football”