Spread

BlizzardMan
S

Spread

Post by BlizzardMan »

Anybody else tired of teams not taking any snaps ever under center? I mean even from like the 1 foot line?

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Spread

Post by EasternDspy »

BlizzardMan wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:24 pm Anybody else tired of teams not taking any snaps ever under center? I mean even from like the 1 foot line?
Meadowbrook didn’t take 1 snap all year under center. Even went shotgun on 4th in inches

25th Street NW
Varsity

Post by 25th Street NW »

Everybody wants to be Ohio State.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

25th Street NW wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:35 pm Everybody wants to be Ohio State.
Except Ohio state is running a lot under center this year

6-4-3=2o
Varsity

Post by 6-4-3=2o »

BlizzardMan wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:24 pm Anybody else tired of teams not taking any snaps ever under center? I mean even from like the 1 foot line?
Absolutely!!

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

I mean I know most coaches in the area know way more football than I ever will. I never played a skill position in my life, but this is one aspect of the game a lot of teams do that I just don't understand. It's also true at the college level. It will never make sense to me.

6-4-3=2o
Varsity

Post by 6-4-3=2o »

It's all about the scheme, and it seems like once team commit to it, they never look back. Drives me nuts, but as you said, these guys know way more than me or you.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

BlizzardMan wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:27 am I mean I know most coaches in the area know way more football than I ever will. I never played a skill position in my life, but this is one aspect of the game a lot of teams do that I just don't understand. It's also true at the college level. It will never make sense to me.
Well if everyone is doing it, I think it's pretty easy to understand. Honestly I think a lot of it started with lower talented teams up front trying to gain an advantage. I mean if you don't have the line for man vs man up front why do it?? Spread them out use the entire field and create holes within the defense. Now I would like to see more under center in certain situations but the reality is once you start spreading it out you become a bit more of a finesse team and it's hard to flip that switch to brawler on a dime and be successful.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Spread is popular because you have an extra player with a running qb. It will always be popular in high school because you need on great player and you can be effective. Where I’m from many teams have adopted the spread but they also have a under center package. Many years Marion local will never even get in the gun . Depends on personal. Paint valley does a nice job of mixing it up. Unioto has problems few year ago with hosely. When he ran out of the gun he was unstoppable. When we had a lead and didn’t want to run the qb we had one back no lead blocker and an unblocked read guy that can t off on the back. It is good to have both even if it is only a series of plays. Like for ex trap sweep waggle for a wing t

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

greygoose wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:02 am
BlizzardMan wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:27 am I mean I know most coaches in the area know way more football than I ever will. I never played a skill position in my life, but this is one aspect of the game a lot of teams do that I just don't understand. It's also true at the college level. It will never make sense to me.
Well if everyone is doing it, I think it's pretty easy to understand. Honestly I think a lot of it started with lower talented teams up front trying to gain an advantage. I mean if you don't have the line for man vs man up front why do it?? Spread them out use the entire field and create holes within the defense. Now I would like to see more under center in certain situations but the reality is once you start spreading it out you become a bit more of a finesse team and it's hard to flip that switch to brawler on a dime and be successful.
The inability to flip the switch is a real problem. Wellston is a prime example of a finesse offense.

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!

Return to “Football”