Gallia Academy 45 - 28 Portsmouth

BlizzardMan
S

Re: WK5 Portsmouth (4-0) @ Gallia Academy (4-0)

Post by BlizzardMan »

biggdowgg wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:34 am Good win Gallia ,
Portsmouth played hard and fought to the end and didn't quit.

Got a kick out of the announcer though lol.

PA announcer---- yooourrrr nooooot goooonaaa catch hiiimmm!!!!!

Mr. Parker ------- hold my beer!
Yeah. That was funny and never should an announcer say that, but he was over excited and people do not catch James Armstrong when he breaks the defense... but Talyn Parker is a freak! That was one of the most incredible things I've ever seen on a high school football field! Seriously, what is his 40 time? I am still in shock at what I witnessed on that play! James got a little payback on a great tackle on Parker later though. Anyhow, it sure is fun to watch Parker play!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Ema wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:56 pm I think it will be a 30 pts game, but Portsmouth by thirty. Their line has nice size and fast. GA is big and slow. Trojan defenders will dine the GA tomorrow 35-6 Trojan
Am I wrong, or didn't you have a similar post a while back about Chesapeake, and how they were going to handle the Blue Devils?

PTrojan59
S

Re: Gallia Academy 45 - 28 Portsmouth

Post by PTrojan59 »

I’ll start out by saying Congrats to Gallia. Before I talk about the game, I want to talk about the stadium. It was my first trip to Gallia. We parked on the street less than a 5 minute walk to the gate. I thought the home and visiting bleachers were fine, ample amount of seating. Do not like how far back from the field it was, but you get that with a track. The fence is way too close to the sideline, Drew Roe was pushed out of bounds and when he fell, he ended up under the Portsmouth bench. The field itself is absolutely horrible. Footing was an issue for both teams. The middle is awful. I think it would be a nice venue if there was turf. I really like the houses that sit above the field, really neat. So yeah, my first trip was fine, I just think a turf field would do wonders to make it a really solid facility. Now to the game. It went about as I expected it to. Gallia controlled the los on both sides of the ball. Their offensive line created holes to where the backs weren’t getting touched for 10 yards. On defense, they pressured Drew Roe all night, he had absolutely no time to throw. Portsmouth played one hell of a first quarter, after that it didn’t go so well. Parker vs. Armstrong was fun, both great backs and played well on defense and ST. Parker chasing Armstrong down after he had maybe a 10 yard cushion was really impressive. Gallia’s kicker has a monster leg, what grade is he in? Tough first loss for the Trojans, no reason we can’t rebound at home next week. We won’t see another team as good as Gallia again until week 10. Not sure what happened on the Gallia side, but I hope all is well with whoever needed the medical attention in the crowd. Good luck to GA the rest of the season.

Who Dey!
BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

PTrojan59 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:05 am I’ll start out by saying Congrats to Gallia. Before I talk about the game, I want to talk about the stadium. It was my first trip to Gallia. We parked on the street less than a 5 minute walk to the gate. I thought the home and visiting bleachers were fine, ample amount of seating. Do not like how far back from the field it was, but you get that with a track. The fence is way too close to the sideline, Drew Roe was pushed out of bounds and when he fell, he ended up under the Portsmouth bench. The field itself is absolutely horrible. Footing was an issue for both teams. The middle is awful. I think it would be a nice venue if there was turf. I really like the houses that sit above the field, really neat. So yeah, my first trip was fine, I just think a turf field would do wonders to make it a really solid facility. Now to the game. It went about as I expected it to. Gallia controlled the los on both sides of the ball. Their offensive line created holes to where the backs weren’t getting touched for 10 yards. On defense, they pressured Drew Roe all night, he had absolutely no time to throw. Portsmouth played one hell of a first quarter, after that it didn’t go so well. Parker vs. Armstrong was fun, both great backs and played well on defense and ST. Parker chasing Armstrong down after he had maybe a 10 yard cushion was really impressive. Gallia’s kicker has a monster leg, what grade is he in? Tough first loss for the Trojans, no reason we can’t rebound at home next week. We won’t see another team as good as Gallia again until week 10. Not sure what happened on the Gallia side, but I hope all is well with whoever needed the medical attention in the crowd. Good luck to GA the rest of the season.
Great post and great summary. The kicker, Andrew Toler is a senior and a soccer player turned kicker last year. Hit from 46 as a long this year.

Yikes
Riding the Bench

Post by Yikes »

The PA announcer was like "oh, uh, wow!"

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Yikes wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:33 am

The PA announcer was like "oh, uh, wow!"
:lol:

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Pretty much the game I expected, I knew we needed to force turnovers, and it didn’t happen. PHS played well early Gallia’s size just started to wear more and more as the game went on. Very happy with the effort PHS had. Defense continues to be a problem as after the first quarter we saw arm tackling again. That was a problem that we hadn’t seen much of lately.
Trojans will be fine, much better showing then last year, Coach Kalb and staff are doing a great job and it’s showing on the field. 5-6 years ago that Gallia team would have beat us 40-0,but coached Duncan started to right the ship, and coach Kalb is taking us the rest of the way.

Lastly I don’t like to bash officials, but the interception, the kid bobbled the ball drops is picks it up on the bounce making it an incompletion. They gave them the interception on what was one of the worst calls I have ever seen. Also some questionable shots on the side line that I’m gonna excuse, as I assume they looked worse then really were because the fence being so close. Not trying to say that would have made a difference in the ballgame Gallia still just too big wore down the Trojans. It was for sure a momentum swing though.

Best of luck to the blue devils the rest of the year, everyone says Ironton, but I can see the OVC title coming to the French City again.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Great win Blue Devils! Didn't see the ball bounce on the interception until defender dropped it after about 2-3 steps. It looked good to me. Blue Devils must focus on Fairland now. Hopefully week 9 will be for the league.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

GalliaGrad78 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:31 am Great win Blue Devils! Didn't see the ball bounce on the interception until defender dropped it after about 2-3 steps. It looked good to me. Blue Devils must focus on Fairland now. Hopefully week 9 will be for the league.
Sure looked like he was bobbling it and didn’t have control yet from the visitors side, but like I said that’s not gonna swing 3 scores. Would have looked a little better at the end but everyone there knows what a great game it was. I fully expect week 9 to be for the league unless of course Ironton were to get Gallia, which I doubt. But if so my Trojans will hopefully be setting in position to try and make it a 3 way tie.

Best of luck Blue Devils the rest of the year, we will do our best to bring you some more points.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Congrats to the Blue Devils and also Portsmouth can still make playoffs, Coach at Portsmouth seems to be doing very good job of bringing them back. I look for Trojans to be 7-3 or 8-2 Gallia also in playoffs different division to. Ironton and either Fairland or Chesy could give Portsmouth fits

Riding the Bench

Post by 645945 »

What a great game last night. Both coaching staffs did an outstanding job putting their kids in the best position to win the game. Mr. Parker was fantastic and so was mr. Armstrong. Just a great game to behold. Good luck the rest of the way Portsmouth I will be pulling for you all the rest of the season. Trojans 9-1 yes that sounds more like the Portsmouth that I remember.

Vik
JV Team

Post by Vik »

The boys seem destined for week 12 or 13

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Field was nice and watered down . Smart play Gallia.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Poo Bear wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:17 pm Field was nice and watered down . Smart play Gallia.
The maintenance guy accidentally left it on for a couple hours lol. It was 80-90 degrees all week so the grass was dying.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Vik wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:50 am The boys seem destined for week 12 or 13
I would not go that far. Very good chance in this region whoever we face in week 11 will be the best team we have played all year.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

You know we complain about the field flooding this year i think the problem is basically last November we tilled up 2/3 of ground. and planted all new grass. as late as may and June i didn't think it was going to grow in enough to really be field but it has. but it hasnt really taken root deep in ground. it is having like loose sod just laid over the surface where it hasn't had enough rain. So when we get a down pour like we down there on Thursday that water just lays there. That is why the surface is coming up in such huge chunks.

Return to “Football”