When do we hear Northwest shouldn't be playing in the SOC1?

Prime Time
All State

Re: When do we hear Northwest shouldn't be playing in the SOC1?

Post by Prime Time »

Congrats to Northwest. They are in SOC 1. Until they are moved to SOC2. Sour grapes on anyone that bad mouths where they’re at, these kids had no say , these are high school kids and I say go for all the gusto you can and have fun. Who cares if someone doesn’t like what these kids are doing and having success now. Maybe these other SOC 1 schools need to beef there rosters up and get more numbers out

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

That was a girls basketball game . Like I correctly said , I haven't been to a ND football game in 4-5 years. And thats one of the only games in any sport I've attended at ND . Yes I rooted my guts out for ND when my kids were there , I want them to succeed , but much has changed since my time there .

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Prime Time wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:15 pm Congrats to Northwest. They are in SOC 1. Until they are moved to SOC2. Sour grapes on anyone that bad mouths where they’re at, these kids had no say , these are high school kids and I say go for all the gusto you can and have fun. Who cares if someone doesn’t like what these kids are doing and having success now. Maybe these other SOC 1 schools need to beef there rosters up and get more numbers out
Bud they isn't any beefing up anything , East , Green , SV , Western , NB they are getting the max out of the tiny numbers they have in all sports

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

NW to the OVC maybe? Similar size to all schools involved. Travel to Gallipolis might be a problem though.

But then again, Gallipolis is the outlier in the conference as far as location.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:13 am NW to the OVC maybe? Similar size to all schools involved. Travel to Gallipolis might be a problem though.

Yeah, east drive from NW to Fairland, 🤦🏼‍♂️

Mavrick2016
JV Team

Post by Mavrick2016 »

Northwest should be in SOC II, they have too many kids to play in SOC I.
The kids in the other SOC I schools are getting cheated out of a championship.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Prime Time wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:15 pm Congrats to Northwest. They are in SOC 1. Until they are moved to SOC2. Sour grapes on anyone that bad mouths where they’re at, these kids had no say , these are high school kids and I say go for all the gusto you can and have fun. Who cares if someone doesn’t like what these kids are doing and having success now. Maybe these other SOC 1 schools need to beef there rosters up and get more numbers out
I've always said until they start winning championships they're right where they need to be. They've struggled within SOC1 play except for 1 year and now this year. Obviously if they start winning it all on a regular basis by blowouts especially it'll need reevaluated. However, to say the other SOC1 schools need to beef up their rosters is just a complete joke and from the stand point of knowing nothing about the other schools. Can't up the numbers when the number of students to choose from isn't there. That's why NW is D5 and the rest are D7, it's because of numbers, :roll:

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Mavrick2016 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:25 am Northwest should be in SOC II, they have too many kids to play in SOC I.
Exactly. Northwest was competitive with Valley before their quarterback and others got hurt. They have numbers and talent.

It's not the fault of the other SOC I schools that Northwest wasn’t good at football. If they wanted to rebuild their football program then they should have went independent.

Burg Bias
Riding the Bench

Post by Burg Bias »

How do schools ‘get more numbers out’ when there’s only 100 kids in the whole high school?
No D5 school should be in SOC1. Ever. It’s a D6/D7 league. There’s no pride in winning the SOC1 as a D5. Maybe OHSAA will allow NW to play in the D7 playoffs so they can have some success and make those players feel better. Dumb decision to allow them to move.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Burg Bias wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:24 pm
How do schools ‘get more numbers out’ when there’s only 100 kids in the whole high school?
No D5 school should be in SOC1. Ever. It’s a D6/D7 league. There’s no pride in winning the SOC1 as a D5. Maybe OHSAA will allow NW to play in the D7 playoffs so they can have some success and make those players feel better. Dumb decision to allow them to move.
No pride in it? It’s all well and good when northwest gets beaten by those teams though, right? You’re a numb nut.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Apologize. Shouldn’t have said that as I don’t know you. But you don’t have intimate knowledge of the situation.

rxburgfan
All State

Re: When do we hear NW shouldnt be playing soc 1 ?

Post by rxburgfan »

BigBlueNation wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:48 pm Northwest will have to move back up in the next year or 2. Yes we have close to 60 kids, we have 6 seniors 7 juniors 21 sophomores and 25 freshmen.
The sophomore Braden Cambell carried the ball 19 times tonight and yes he had 9tds and I believe 365 yards which are school records. He had 12 or 13 carries in the first half. The starters only played 5 quarters the last 2 games. They played more tonight due to the fact they have a jv game in the morning and already have some jv kids out .
I think we started 4 freshmen tonight and several sophomores. I'm not trying to make any excuses but stating some facts. These kids have worked harder this year than they ever have in their lives. The seniors that have stuck it out and still play only won 5 games in the first 3 years of their highschool career. They have been on the wrong end of several beatings in their careers.
Moving helped save the program. Hopefully with new facilities they can develop talent and play.

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

Didn’t they just play oak hill and lose?

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
NW97
Freshman Team

Post by NW97 »

Jack Sparrow wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:16 pm Didn’t they just play oak hill and lose?
Yes. And Burg beat Oak Hill I think 55-0. But shame on Northwest for winning by 30+.

Burg Bias
Riding the Bench

Post by Burg Bias »

Mavrick2016 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:25 am Northwest should be in SOC II, they have too many kids to play in SOC I.
That's what I'm saying. I'm not talking about blowing teams out, that happens sometimes. The small D6 & D7 schools can't compete against a school three times their size. This isn't soccer where the bottom teams get relegated to a lesser league. :roll:

Burg Bias
Riding the Bench

Post by Burg Bias »

bfry wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:43 pm
Burg Bias wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:24 pm
No pride in it? It’s all well and good when northwest gets beaten by those teams though, right? You’re a numb nut.
If you take pride in beating up your little brother then I'm not sure what that says about you? :(

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I've made a couple posts on this subject and I just want to clarify my feeling about it. I thought when Oak Hill played down it was wrong. I know alot of Northwest people and I understand the reasoning of doing it. But moving down shouldn't have been allowed. They should have went independent or asked for a temporary leave of absence. At that point if the SOC I schools wanted to play them non-conference they could. But they shouldn't be made to and they most definitely shouldn't loose a chance at a league title to a team that has no business size wise in their league. As was stated, whomever finishes 2nd in the league this year is getting cheated out of a Gold Football. It's not the fault of those tiny schools that Northwest wasn't good at football.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:13 am NW to the OVC maybe? Similar size to all schools involved. Travel to Gallipolis might be a problem though.

If all the SOC 2 schools are that hungry for cupcakes let them have NW back. I'm not sure what the end goal is there, they keep trying to get even teams but if Western scraps football and Northwest moves up you will have 7 Soc 2 schools and 5 Soc 1 schools assuming Eastern is an actual full member at this point, it's hard to keep up with their divisions and who they use as "honorary members" to fill the schedule out, ie Manchester and South Gallia years ago.

southern_ohio_fan
Waterboy

Post by southern_ohio_fan »

Westfan wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:38 am I've made a couple posts on this subject and I just want to clarify my feeling about it. I thought when Oak Hill played down it was wrong. I know alot of Northwest people and I understand the reasoning of doing it. But moving down shouldn't have been allowed. They should have went independent or asked for a temporary leave of absence. At that point if the SOC I schools wanted to play them non-conference they could. But they shouldn't be made to and they most definitely shouldn't loose a chance at a league title to a team that has no business size wise in their league. As was stated, whomever finishes 2nd in the league this year is getting cheated out of a Gold Football. It's not the fault of those tiny schools that Northwest wasn't good at football.
So, Oak Hill should give up all those SOC I championships from the past decade? No one complained when Northwest wasn't competitive in the SOC I. Now that they are, the world is ending. No one is getting cheated out of anything. Those players and coaches have worked for everything they are accomplishing.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

To my knowledge Oak Hill was never in the SOC 2, I would also assume that until Valley moved up they were smaller than all the SOC 2 schools? I know Burg dropped to D5 in the late 90s but I have no clue if Oak Hill was ever bigger than them. I would also say if I was trying to keep things competitively balanced and even the league is as close as you are going to get. If you move Northwest up based on enrollment , then Valley or Oak Hill should come down based on the same and instead of being knocked out of a title every 3 or 4 years it will be 7 or 8 out of 10.

Edit
I did look and it would be Valley dropping down who only has 3 more kids than Eastern, Northwest would switch places with them and become the 4th biggest of the 6 teams in the SOC 2.
Last edited by portsmouth_98 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”