When do we hear Northwest shouldn't be playing in the SOC1?

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Re: When do we hear Northwest shouldn't be playing in the SOC1?

Post by BigBlueNation »

Westfan wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:46 pm What will Northwest's schedule look like next season?
I think its.
Southeastern
Greenfield McClain
Huntington Ross
Oakhill
Valley
Notre Dame
East
Green
Eastern
Symmes Valley.

Not for sure though.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

How many years out does the SOC make schedules.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:46 pm
greygoose wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:49 am
portsmouth_98 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:33 am

And even though they are a brand new program they have a 3-1 series lead against Northwest which further goes to show the absurdity of this thread.
Soon to be 3-2 and it won't even be close on Friday. I think you're missing the point when ppl talk about Northwest moving back up. Just like you reference 3-1 series, no one is talking about the past of Northwest. I've even said they SOCI is right where they needed to be until they start showing improvement and winning regularly. It's being talked about because A) what Northwest has done so far this year outscoring first 3 SOCI opponents 152-50 because green scored 32 B) Because Northwest is a very young team and they have the large numbers going forward and scores will get that much worse. I mean if they've got 16-17, 8th graders who all decide to play and you get more high schoolers decide to come out and subtract the small number of seniors you are looking at a team approaching the 70 player mark. That's why it's being discusses, not for Northwest past but the bright future it looks like they're putting together. By all means stay in SOCI with these much improved Northwest teams and get your 8-9 win season and sit at home watching the playoffs.
Fair enough, there was quite a bit of noise and nonsense at the beginning though. The fly in the works right now is from moving Oak Hill up this year. You will be stuck with a 7/5 split which will leave all 12 teams facing the prospect of huge travel or open weeks. Otherwise you need to add 2 football only schools , one to each conference and I have no idea who fits that bill right now. That leaves you with the problem of someone playing down and right now Northwest is the safest bet.
I don't think you can go strictly off of making a even split in terms of SOCI and SOCII though when you talk about level playing field. Oak Hill's move up was for the same reason Northwest will need to in the future. They just simply outgrew SOCI play, people speculated that Oak Hill would struggle and finish last but even in a down year it looks like they have a real shot at finishing 3rd. Losing to Burg and Waverly, unless West were to beat them this weekend.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

greygoose wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:31 am
portsmouth_98 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:27 am
Dundas wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:37 pm I did the numbers, because I was curious. I also compared them to the current TVC Ohio numbers (the conference I follow closest)

Northwest 176
Eastern 116
Symmes Valley 115
Green 83
East 66
Norte Dame 38

Northwest on average is 92 boys bigger than each conference school.

TVC Ohio

Athens 324
Vinton County 239
River Valley 203
Meigs 196
Alexander 193
Wellston 173
Nelsonville York 132

Athens on average is 135 boys bigger than each conference school.
Eastern and Symmes Vallley are almost D6, the cutoff is 117.
Yep they're a whopping 2 boys from being the smallest D6 schools in the area, :lol:
True

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

I have always felt the following numbers are very pertinent. I know, I know....folks will try to discount them. That's fine. But, in my opinion, they need to be included along with total number of boys.

Square Mileage
# of boys
Difference between the two
# of boys per square mile

East 16 sq mi 66 boys +50 + 4.1
ND 16 sq mi 38 boys +22 +2.4
Green 39 sq mi 83 boys +44 +2.1
Eastern 85 sq mi 116 boys +31 +1.4
SV 150 sq mi 115 boys -35 +0.8
Northwest 184 sq mi 176 boys -8 +0.95

The closer the proximity of the student body as a whole to the school increases access, and as a general rule, participation.

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

bfry wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:46 pm I have always felt the following numbers are very pertinent. I know, I know....folks will try to discount them. That's fine. But, in my opinion, they need to be included along with total number of boys.

Square Mileage
# of boys

The closer the proximity of the student body as a whole to the school increases access, and as a general rule, participation.
You couldn’t be more right. Ever wonder how burg compares to those numbers?

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Jack Sparrow wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:39 pm
bfry wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:46 pm I have always felt the following numbers are very pertinent. I know, I know....folks will try to discount them. That's fine. But, in my opinion, they need to be included along with total number of boys.

Square Mileage
# of boys

It's probably around .5 per square mile, you have kids coming from the Hill top area in town all the way down past Franklin Furnace and then out to Webster and Minford. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. On an actual serious note I wonder if East and Portsmouth are considered the same district since East is technically within the Portsmouth district. Also I would say West is similar overall as it is the 2nd biggest district in the county(Nile township is huge) and has a slightly bigger enrollment. I would Imagine the difference maker being that 75% of the population lives from Coles Park to the River along 73 or between 73 and 125 on US 52 putting most of them within 10 minutes of the school. I know there are some kids down close to the Adams line and some out in Shawnee Forest but it seems to be a much more concentrated population.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:56 pm

Square Mileage
# of boys

It's probably around .5 per square mile, you have kids coming from the Hill top area in town all the way down past Franklin Furnace and then out to Webster and Minford. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. On an actual serious note I wonder if East and Portsmouth are considered the same district since East is technically within the Portsmouth district. Also I would say West is similar overall as it is the 2nd biggest district in the county(Nile township is huge) and has a slightly bigger enrollment. I would Imagine the difference maker being that 75% of the population lives from Coles Park to the River along 73 or between 73 and 125 on US 52 putting most of them within 10 minutes of the school. I know there are some kids down close to the Adams line and some out in Shawnee Forest but it seems to be a much more concentrated population.
I used Portsmouth’s district square mileage for both East and Notre Dame.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:56 pm

Square Mileage
# of boys

West is in a similar situation. Washington Nile district is just not as big.
I have a West Portsmouth address a 259 phone # live less than 6 miles from West and in the Northwest school district. 14 miles from Northwest. Their are kids in the Northwest district that live at least a 30 min drive from one another. The Northwest and Washington Nile school districts take up almost half of Scioto Co.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

If you you look at Northwest and Wests school districts on a scioto county map it is insane. The Scioto river will basically split the county in half, yet only two schools are on the west side of that. That explains population density very quickly for this county. 10 other schools on the east side of the river? Might be one off or so.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

I think West has a little better situation as there are around 7200 people combined in Washington and Mike township and 3100 (probably including Valley View and maybe Coles Park) are in West Portsmouth and Friendship is listed as 350 according to wilipedia which sounds high. As far as Northwest the five townships combine for around 8900 people with McDermott being the biggest community at right around 430 people.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Two SE District counties that have only 1 high school:

Vinton County.........415 square miles, county seat McArthur (pop.1,700), county population 13.435 (smallest county population in Ohio); 2010 per capita income 16,736 (87th out of 88 Ohio counties)......Vinton County HS is in the large school division of the TVC.

Hocking County.......424 square miles......county seat Logan (7,000), county population 29,380, 2010 per capita income 19,048.......Logan HS is an independent, former long time member of the SEOAL; largest HS in the SE district.

These counties both have virtually the same hilly topography and roadways as does Scioto County.

Source of information: Wikipedia

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

trojandave wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:25 am Two SE District counties that have only 1 high school:

Vinton County.........415 square miles, county seat McArthur (pop.1,700), county population 13.435 (smallest county population in Ohio); 2010 per capita income 16,736 (87th out of 88 Ohio counties)......Vinton County HS is in the large school division of the TVC.

Hocking County.......424 square miles......county seat Logan (7,000), county population 29,380, 2010 per capita income 19,048.......Logan HS is an independent, former long time member of the SEOAL; largest HS in the SE district.

These counties both have virtually the same hilly topography and roadways as does Scioto County.

I think it's worth pointing out that if you just draw from the county seats Logan would be eqiuvalent in size to Wheelersburg and MacArthur would be around the same size as Glouster, still easier than drawing from 3 towns 15 minutes apart and with a few hundred people each st best. I don't know what the entire problem is but the truth is for some reason no matter who is on the field, who is on the sidelines, or who is sitting in the superintendents office or school board meeting, they have failed to compete for almost 60 years. I know statistics can be skewed and analytics doesn't solve everything, but things just don't happen without a reason. Northwest is at some sort of legitimate socio-economic disadvantage that has caused them to not win a league title from 1960-2014 when they dropped to the lower division and make them the only team in the county to never make the playoffs. I suppose the alternate hypothesis is that some one poisoned their water to make their kids smaller and slower or maybe the field was built on an Indian burial ground and is cursed.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

trojandave wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:25 am Two SE District counties that have only 1 high school:

Technically the western 3rd of Hocking County is Logan Em school district and a small portion in the east goes to Nelsonville York. So the Hocking County Numbers are skewed some. McArthur is actually smaller than Glouster based on population. There are only 3 other villages in the county that have a population less than 1000. All other towns are unincorporated.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Here's another 1 HS county in Ohio:

Morgan County......422 square miles.......population just over 15,000 (4th smallest population among 88 counties)........county seat McConnellsville (pop. just under 1,800 (about the same size as McArthur in Vinton County........per capita income just over 18,000.......Morgan HS is in the Muskingum Valley League.

Source: Wikipedia

Hillbilly Trump
Waterboy

Post by Hillbilly Trump »

Point blank wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:47 pm Take 60 kids on a team and let em play a school with less then 20 players. Sad that one of the biggest schools has to be moved to play the smallest schools and then running it up on em. No need in any sport for you to let a kid score 9tds in a blow out
Clearly you’ve been raised with participation trophies your entire life or have been raised a liberal.

Sometimes your ‘lil Johnny isn’t the Superhero or Superstar that you’ve told him he was. And, has had you hovering over him telling him he is great… an All-American! Life’s tough… the real world doesn’t give two shats about his feelings; especially when in is in the realm of competition like sports… business… or jobs!

Should Johnny make the same money as the better workers who produce 3X the work? Should Johnny get to attend the Championship celebration when he clearly isn’t a CHAMPION?

Northwest has gotten their teeth folded on the gridiron for years and now that they have put together a program that folded little Johnny’s teeth… you want to complain? Please! All of the SOC I teams have played Northwest for decades and you never complained then; bc you wanted them points to make playoffs. And, only then to get your brains beat out and once again proven to not be all that you thought you were!

I didn’t go to NW! I went to a SOC II school and then graduated from a SOC I School!

And, I suspect the word “class” will come up in your future response to my comments. I just want to remind you of this… being a complainer or whiner about something like this… isn’t “classy”! It’s lacking CLASS!

Teach your kid to persevere in times of adversity! Teach them that determination and dedication will have positive results! And, he will discover that he’ll come out on top more times than not; bc your teaching him to blame everyone else for his failures!

Find someone to teach him to be a WARRIOR… not a WIMP or a Liberal Snowflake with excuses! Bc, this is what you’re doing!

Good Luck next season!

Hillbilly Trump
Waterboy

Post by Hillbilly Trump »

I’m not from Northwest… actually played at East!

All of you on here being crybabies about your kids getting their arse whipped! Man the F up! I never heard Northwest folks bitch and whine when your teams kicked their teeth in year after year!

No more participation trophies for your little not so… Superstars!

Raise men… not little whinny punks with excuses! I remember Norte Dame a couple decades ago running the score up on everybody they played!

I say… Hit ‘Em Hard And Make ‘Em poop Their Pants!

Return to “Football”