What has happened to Notre Dame Football?

Buckeye1972
Freshman Team

Re: What has happened to Notre Dame Football?

Post by Buckeye1972 »

The year that Notre Dame went unscored on in the regular season - they lost to Columbus Grandview Heights - Grandview kicked a field goal just before the half to break the streak. The year before, they lost 3-0 to Newark Catholic at Cooper Stadium.

Dren2019
Waterboy

Post by Dren2019 »

art_vandelay wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:06 pm
Dren2019 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:19 am
bfry wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:35 pm Bob Ashley is one of the best coaches in our area. That’s a fact. I’ve had the honor of coaching against his teams several times. They were always well prepared, sound schematically, conditioned and disciplined. If anyone is questioning his acumen, they have a personal axe to grind or other agenda... period.
No personal agenda. His won loss column speaks for itself.
It doesn’t really reveal a high acumen.
If you or anyone else knows, what is Ashley's won/loss record and how many playoff wins does he have? Serious questions.*
From 2011-2019 he is 35-55. 0-1 in the playoffs.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

from 02-03 to 05-06 when he was at Minford he was 17-24. 0-1 in the playoffs.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

I think our criteria for evaluating high school coaches is a bit different. I get it, wins are the straw that stirs the drink. However, I’ve coached against teams who were not well coached and won a lot of games. Conversely, I’ve coached against teams who were well coached and struggled. The win/loss columns don’t always tell the true story.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I agree. He is a great person and I still consider him to be a good coach. His teams compete and I think he teaches more than just the game of football.

Dren2019
Waterboy

Post by Dren2019 »

bfry wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:49 pm I think our criteria for evaluating high school coaches is a bit different. I get it, wins are the straw that stirs the drink. However, I’ve coached against teams who were not well coached and won a lot of games. Conversely, I’ve coached against teams who were well coached and struggled. The win/loss columns don’t always tell the true story.
I think when you are talking about sports, in general, the criteria is wins and losses!

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Dren2019 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:56 pm
bfry wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:49 pm I think our criteria for evaluating high school coaches is a bit different. I get it, wins are the straw that stirs the drink. However, I’ve coached against teams who were not well coached and won a lot of games. Conversely, I’ve coached against teams who were well coached and struggled. The win/loss columns don’t always tell the true story.
I think when you are talking about sports, in general, the criteria is wins and losses!
Wow. Ok. I guess everything else is secondary even in high school sports. Enough said.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

You play to win. Just throwing that out there. I never heard anyone who played sports say it was OK to lose.

Dren2019
Waterboy

Post by Dren2019 »

bfry wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:00 pm
Dren2019 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:56 pm
Wow. Ok. I guess everything else is secondary even in high school sports. Enough said.
No, not enough said. You play to win or lose, at any level! Give me one other reason to play! Nobody is saying he’s not a great guy, great coach maybe not.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:01 pm You play to win. Just throwing that out there. I never heard anyone who played sports say it was OK to lose.
That’s not what I said. I stated observations about the man’s teams and I get records as a reply. If we deem someone successful as a high school coach merely by wins, I think that’s short sighted. Period.

Dren2019
Waterboy

Post by Dren2019 »

bfry wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:06 pm
LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:01 pm You play to win. Just throwing that out there. I never heard anyone who played sports say it was OK to lose.
That’s not what I said. I stated observations about the man’s teams and I get records as a reply. If we deem someone successful as a high school coach merely by wins, I think that’s short sighted. Period.
Others asked for records, question answered! You want to talk about the team? Ask the team if they like being 0-9.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Dren2019 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:10 pm
Others asked for records, question answered! You want to talk about the team? Ask the team if they like being 0-9.
I don’t need to. But you’re assuming the reason they are 0-9 is due to poor coaching.

Dren2019
Waterboy

Post by Dren2019 »

bfry wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:16 pm

I don’t need to. But you’re assuming the reason they are 0-9 is due to poor coaching.
What is your “assumption” as to why they are 0-9?

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Dren2019 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:25 pm
Honestly, I think there are several factors anytime a team is successful or unsuccessful. I'm not privy to all of those factors within that program. It could be any number of things or even a combination of things.

Dren2019
Waterboy

Post by Dren2019 »

bfry wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:33 pm

Honestly, I think there are several factors anytime a team is successful or unsuccessful. I'm not privy to all of those factors within that program. It could be any number of things or even a combination of things.
“It could be any numbered of things”, “I’m not privy” but you seem to “know” it’s not the coach. Stop being so one sided. It’s the coach or the players! You already said earlier that he gets the best out of the players. Is this their best? Is this their best for the
last 4-5 years? I’m not anti Ashly, but your arguments have shed a light on what is probably the issue.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Dren2019 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:44 pm
“It could be any numbered of things”, “I’m not privy” but you seem to “know” it’s not the coach. Stop being so one sided. It’s the coach or the players! You already said earlier that he gets the best out of the players. Is this their best? Is this their best for the
last 4-5 years? I’m not anti Ashly, but your arguments have shed a light on what is probably the issue.
I stated earlier that I've coached against him several times and observed how they were coached. No, it isn't always just the coach or the players. Like I said, there are other mitigating circumstances that arise through the course of any season. I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the program this year. However, we played them and the kids played hard and were well coached. Make your own assumptions. Oh wait...

Dren2019
Waterboy

Post by Dren2019 »

bfry wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:50 pm

I stated earlier that I've coached against him several times and observed how they were coached. No, it isn't always just the coach or the players. Like I said, there are other mitigating circumstances that arise through the course of any season. I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the program this year. However, we played them and the kids played hard and were well coached. Make your own assumptions. Oh wait...
“Not familar” your words.. tap out!!

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Dren2019 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:33 pm
bfry wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:50 pm
“Not familar” your words.. tap out!!
With the inner workings of the program. Are you a dad of a player?

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

"Tap out" ?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Ah man... this thread took the unexpected turn of coach-trashing. This never happens.

Anyways... I’m going to be really blunt here: Notre Dame has barely any talent this year. Their line does not do very well on either side of the ball. The tall runningback of theirs is a good player but past that their offensive talent is mediocre. I’m sure they’re great kids, and they work hard. Maybe in the matter of a year or two they can finish much higher in the SOC1. But they aren’t not at the level of athleticism and play-making ability to make their own success when the play blows up immediately in the backfield. I have a lot of personal respect for the Titans, their players and the courage & sacrifice their young men exhibit in the commitment to 11-man football. Half of the equation is the sum of a hard schedule, lack of depth and injuries. The other half is the fact they just don’t have hardly any talent. It’s not X’s and O’s, it’s Jimmy’s and Joe’s. And until someone puts two and two together, figuring out that the smallest 11-man football playing school in Ohio is susceptible to a lean year in talent, size and numbers, it’s going to be more of the same.

Return to “Football”